[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you own a vinyl player, /mu/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: memetable.jpg (109KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
memetable.jpg
109KB, 1024x1024px
Hey anon, why do you own a vinyl player?

Was it for superior sound quality? That 'warmness' the sound has? Something else?

How do you feel about remasters?
Do you dislike records being remastered from digital, or are you not bothered?
>>
>Hey anon, why do you own a vinyl player?

Actually it was my dad who bought one for himself, and so it kickstarted my vinyl collecting.

>Was it for superior sound quality?

Most of the old record certainly do sound better than the CD transfers, it's well-documented in this case. But I'd be lying if I said I don't buy new vinyl either.

>That 'warmness' the sound has?

Fuck that shit.

>Something else?

You can say it's material fetishizing, but vinyl is a much more "physical" than any other format, if that makes any sense.

>How do you feel about remasters?

Depends, really. Vinyl doesn't suffer from loudness wars as much as CD and digital, and so far I didn't get one badly remastered vinyl (still I don't have many of those).

>Do you dislike records being remastered from digital, or are you not bothered?

All-analog is preferrable, but I do not mind being digital at all. Using digital sources does not mean the vinyl version is pointless. However some labels just slap the CD master for vinyl, and that shit ain't right. Besides, master tapes from 40 years ago are starting to show some degradation, and digital is the best to maintain form to music over time.
>>
>>69637661
>why do you own a vinyl player?
Why not?
>>
I like looking at the big pictures on the albums
>>
File: Logo_Thorens.svg.png (23KB, 1280x286px) Image search: [Google]
Logo_Thorens.svg.png
23KB, 1280x286px
>vinyl player

Because otherwise it would just be rotting away in the attic
>>
>>69637661
Initially, I was drawn to the sound quality, but I didn't exactly understand what made a record player have good sound quality. I bought a budget model from the 80s (a Denon DP-15F) from my neighbors for $15. I immediately ordered a few Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada albums. I thought there was something really novel about getting physical copies of music I had discovered online. Since I lived near NYC, and family that lived there, I had plenty of opportunities to buy records. The first records I bought in person where a couple of deep house EPs I found at a thrift shop in Queens. Unfortunately, my turntable eventually stopped working. About a year later, I got a summer job that paid very well. I spent a chunk of my earnings on a Technics SL-D3, which rekindled my addiction to record collecting.

Some remasters can be necessary (especially if it's a stereo album from the 60s that has specific instruments only coming through certain channels. However some digital remasters can sound noticeably worse than the original. The copy of Hunky Dory I own is a recent reissue, and it can sound "muddy", if that makes any sense.
>>
i've just always enjoyed old obsolete physical formats for video and music
>>
I feel like having an album on vinyl is like having the absolute definitive version of the album
>>
>>69638239
>>69637661

ITT: reddit
>>
>>69637661
Today, even with internet community, there is stuff i could not find anywhere else than on a vinyl format.

>Do you dislike records being remastered from digital, or are you not bothered?

Well like >>69637791 said, it's a matter of label choice. What bother me the most is the lack of transparency when it comes to what master they use, that aint right too. Best way to sell a Vinyl that only consist in a crappy cd needledrop

>You can say it's material fetishizing, but vinyl is a much more "physical" than any other format
True, and that aint wrong. "Collecting autograph, fancy clothes and pimped PC, nothing wrong, but VINYLS !!!! that"s materialist boi..." enough of that shit
>>
File: Crate-Digging-Vinyl.jpg (108KB, 600x253px) Image search: [Google]
Crate-Digging-Vinyl.jpg
108KB, 600x253px
If you're buying vinyl once in a while or more frenquently, please ansewer this two questions :

>what's your job/other source of money and how much are you winning every month ?
>how much are you spending in vinyl purchase?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.