[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Right Place, Right Time.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_5823.jpg (160KB, 644x646px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5823.jpg
160KB, 644x646px
This thread is for albums that received their praise due to the period they were released in.
An example is pic related.
As pop, it is perfect.
As an actual artistic heightening of the medium, it does nothing.
I love it, by the way.
>>
Bump.
Fuck /mu/.
>>
Ok, but in what way was that album praised *specifically because of the time of its release?* Why did it its relative simplicity (lack of "progressiveness") fit into the musical/cultural context of its time?

Good album, curious for more.
>>
File: The Reality of My Surroundings.jpg (36KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
The Reality of My Surroundings.jpg
36KB, 500x500px
At release, it was praised as the "Sgt. Pepper's of the 90s." Being released in 1991 its competition wasn't too tough yet. It was complemented by a killer closing track that told a narrative that was immediately relevant in the early 90s (the terrors of inner city poverty), in addition to a great Sly Stone cover.

It was very vibrant, mixing ska, punk, reggae, metal, and rock in a way that felt natural instead of cacaphonous. This sound Fishbone shot for, which they did very well here, would go on to become way overplayed, passe', and bro-ish. The rap/rock and trash ska that would follow at the latter half of the 90s make this album sound more derivative today than innovative - which it was.

Essentially the sound they perfected here aged terribly due to the slew of lazy "alt" bands that would emulate them in the following decade.
>>
>>69605330
Shit music like Limp Bizkit was dominating radio airwaves.
>>
>>69604647
The spirals are particle trails, but what are the X's?
>>
>>69606662
The system they rage against
>>
File: 1480986375739.png (37KB, 299x450px) Image search: [Google]
1480986375739.png
37KB, 299x450px
>>69608057
>>
>>69608196
Kek
>>
>>
>>69609000
TRUUUU LOLLLL
>>
>>69604647
Isn't that pretty much every acclaimed album ever? I mean, you could say the same for Pet Sounds, or Sgt. Pepper, or Nevermind the Bollocks, or Nevermind.
>>
>>69604647
I'm sensing a bit of a "Seinfeld is Unfunny" trend from this thread
>>
File: Get_Rich_Or_Die_Tryin'.jpg (49KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Get_Rich_Or_Die_Tryin'.jpg
49KB, 300x300px
A lot of the hype this record got was solely due to the fact that studio gangster rap was at its absolute peak in 2003. For an album which is almost universally regarded as a rap classic, GRODT is pretty bloated. It's still a classic, but it could have been a much stronger album from start to finish if it only had a dozen tracks or so.
>>
>>69605486
TAKE THESE CLOUDS AWAY!
UNDERNEATH THIS SUNLESS SATURDAY!

reminder that Fishbone pre-date RHCP, who paid homage to them with a verse on "Good Time Boys"
>>
>>69609757
Hey that's actually a perfect topic for a thread.

For those who don't know:
"There are certain shows that you can safely assume most people have seen. These shows were considered fantastic when they first aired. Now, however, these shows have a Hype Backlash curse on them. Whenever we watch them, we'll cry, "That is so old" or "That is so overdone".

The sad irony? It wasn't old or overdone when they did it. But the things it created were so brilliant and popular, they became woven into the fabric of that show's genre"
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny
>>
>>69609000
i like this album but i can't really deny this
>>
>>69604647

this has some of the best melodies ever written. it still sounds amazing today because the melodies reach the heights of ecstasy
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.