[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Free jazz

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3427.jpg (30KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3427.jpg
30KB, 500x500px
What is your favorite free jazz album and what makes it better than all the rest of them?

>inb4 "I like it better"

If you can't answer this simple question I think you should consider the possibility that you don't really like free jazz.
>>
you didn't even answer it yourself
wait
>>
>>69586683
I've been delving into free jazz recently, and I find it fascinating. Ascension was my first, but it took a few listens before I could find the flow of it I guess you could say. It's a great album. Space is the place is great, free jazz by otnette Coleman. It is a niche genre I think
>>
Why do people who claim to like jazz only listen to davis, coltrane and ellington? Seems like wannabe pseuds to me.
>>
>>69586741
But I never claimed to like free jazz. I'm mostly curious about other people's responses.
>>
Why do they call it free jazz when you have to pay for it?
>>
Coltrane - First Meditations. Just has a nice stripped down sound compared to Meditations, with Coltrane's playing taking centre stage. I'm still working my way through Meditations, but I've only listened to Love, which is stunning I think.

Coltrane - Offering: Live at Temple University, 1966. I have a special love for this album, mainly for its rendition of Crescent. It's not a perfect album, but if I even need to be overwhelmed, I listen to this.

Tchicai - John Tchicai with Strings. It's the only thing by Tchicai I've listened to that I like, but it's so stunningly eerie that I love it. I think the direction of Treader had a lot to do with its success as an album.

Ayler - The Last Album. Mainly for the track Birth of Mirth. I just love the way Ayler and the pianist work together on this one, creating this incredible spinning sensation.

Also Sanders - Karma, but I hardly need to explain that one. It's joyful noise, what more do I need to say?
>>
andrew hill point of departure or compulsion
>>
File: 1481331219201.jpg (501KB, 1056x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1481331219201.jpg
501KB, 1056x1080px
>>69586814
>paying for music
>>
Ornette Coleman- Science Fiction is my all time favorite
The title track is absolutely brilliant like it's pure chaos but it's organized at the same time. And the stuff with Asha Puth is incredible too. All of it is great. It's all very chaotic but still melodic and calculated
>>
Out to Lunch! Is good if you count it as "free" and not "avante-garde"
For me the line is usually blurred
>>
Piece of human garbage here, what separates free jazz from other jazz?
>>
>>69587388
Free jazz is free and jazz is not free
What the fuck do you think you dumb nigger
>>
>>69586683
I've never been good at picking favorites, especially when it comes to free jazz, but pic related is one of the better free jazz albums I've heard in the last few years.

Maybe not everybody would classify it as free jazz but I think free improvisation is better when it's based on some sort of structure. These pieces find pretty creative ways to do that, employing the structure a little differently on each piece. But what really makes it good is the interaction of the band. The rhythm section responds a little differently to each soloist, so each individual solo has a pretty different feel even though they're usually based on the same underlying structure. Because of that there's a pretty big dynamic range and a nice sense of contour, something that's also pretty important when it comes to free jazz.
>>
lol so there's like 2 people in the thread who actually like it
>>
>>69588231
We are Legion
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.