[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What specifically is bad about them?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: Dream+Theater+1[1].jpg (79KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
Dream+Theater+1[1].jpg
79KB, 500x376px
What specifically is bad about them?
>>
naruto katana music
>>
>>69564558
no that's Death Grips
>>
>>69564530
James Labrie and his fucking creepy serenading
>>
James Lacheese
>>
>>69564530
you posted a picture of them and you still don't know??
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (292KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
292KB, 1024x1024px
There is literally nothing wrong with liking Images And Words.
>>
A lot of their music comes off as weak, unnecessary, or just cheesy. If judged as a metal band, they lack the kind of visceral power in their music for them to be good at metal; it's fucking pointless for them to even riff. Like fucking hell there's this one riff in the track Metropolis Pt. 1 on Images and Words that uses a 9th chord when a usual power chord would've made the riff sound far more visceral but they went for the 9th chord because "so exotic and complex and cool theory!" It's extra bad in an album like Systematic Chaos where they try to be heavy boys and just end up sounding embarrassing instead.

A lot of their music also has just random pointless instrumental jam session bits just strewn in between. They often break the flow of a track, and meander, too. Also fucking 80s style shreddy solos that don't add anything to the track that get added in those kinda moments, too.

Dream Theater does best when they essentially just eschew the metal, and make cool directed epics (Metropolis Pt. 2). That way none of the weak riffs come in, and also there isn't pointless jamming/wanking due to how directed the work is.

Unless it's all super fucking cheesy and lacking any level of self awareness (The Astonishing)
>>
>>69564681
it's the gook, isn't it?
>>
>>69564745
I actually like Dream Theater, but you know way more about them than me.

Did you go through a phase?
>>
They're not bad, they're obviously talented at their instruments and every album in isolation (except the astonishing) is 7-8/10. But they seem to be making the same album for 25 years with little musical progression (apart from possibly Octavarium and Metropolis Part 2).
>>
File: 200_s[1].gif (27KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s[1].gif
27KB, 200x200px
>>69564889
>little musical progression

Oh, you.
>>
>>69564850
I first loved them because when I was first learning to play a guitar. Still have that John Petrucci DVD+practice book. The technicality really wowed me. I used to even like Systematic Chaos in these days.

Then eventually I just mainly got big into metal music in general. Metal usually works as a genre because of its intense visceral riffs. Dream Theater, and a lot of what I used to call prog cheese had none of that so I decried them hard.

But, now that I listen to a good variety of music besides just metal and rock, and I grow older not caring about image just music, I kinda came back to the band for what I at least are their good records: Images and Words, Awake, A Change Of Seasons EP, Six Degrees, but most importantly their masterpiece Metropolis Pt. 2. They may not be good at doing what metal usually does, but they can otherwise be an excellent modern day take on Yes inspired prog on their best day.
>>
I had a Dream Theater phase.

They just keep doing the same album over and over again, mixing pompous instrumentation with cheesy lyrics.

Train of Thought is ok tho.
>>
>>69565002
Except for the fact that you were a metalhead, our stories are very similar. I heard Images And Words when I first picked up the guitar as a teenager, and it just blew me away. I was kind of a pretentious twat about it too, but hey, I was 14.

They are definitely a better prog band than a metal band though. I think the band members themselves are aware of this.
>>
File: jim face.jpg (27KB, 324x278px) Image search: [Google]
jim face.jpg
27KB, 324x278px
>>69564921
you really think they've progressed with each album
>>
They had a good run for a long while, and some of their best albums (6 Degrees, Metropolis) are way up there, but for the last 5 or so albums they really haven't done much new.
>>
>>69565145
No, I just thought you were being cheeky by saying how a prog band lacked progression.
>>
The vocals kill it for me, shits just bad.
>>
>>69564530

Nerd Metal

Along with Dragonforce n Gammaray

fkn nerds
>>
>>69565431
Now, I can fully understand why some would not like Dream Theater, but to compare them to Dragonforce is just absurd.

Dream Theater can at least play their instruments, and they actually know music theory.
>>
>>69564758
he is probably the best band member actually

jordan rudess is ridiculously talented too but hes kind of a cunt
>>
they're better than 90% of what's been posted here regularly. aside from fanbase and lack of progression in their discography, nothing really bad. They got several eights and nines under their name. Awake being my favorite
>>
>>69564745
Agree entirely. Thoroughly blown the fuck out.
>>
>>69564530
They're tacky.
They're tasteless songwriters
It's like they thought Spinal Tap was a serious documentary.
>>
>>69566532
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i0NdAB93-0
Dragonforce can play dude, a lot of the "StudioForce" jokes back in 2007 were due to bad audio setup on one of their tours
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.