[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>150 million records sold as someone who knows nothing about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: Phil-Collins.jpg (81KB, 1000x1002px) Image search: [Google]
Phil-Collins.jpg
81KB, 1000x1002px
>150 million records sold

as someone who knows nothing about Phil Collins or Genesis, why is he hated so much?
>>
I don't think hated is the right word, it's mostly the same old story of people hearing popular music that doesn't appeal to them and assuming the reason it's so popular is because people are dumb or deficient in some way.

Late Phil Collins is the exact opposite of the music I like but I can appreciate it as art.
>>
>>69561125
Phil Collins seems different though. It's like a normie meme to hate him for no reason.

Compared to Bowie, Beatles, Elvis, MJ, Dylan etc. who seem universally loved
>>
he was everywhere at one point, both as a solo artist and a member of genesis, so people got fed up with him

also, he's /ourguy/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKWyJOz1rUU
>>
Bowie had a very vocal disdain for he guy.
>>
>>69561213
I think it's because he was and is really overplayed on the radio and media. I'm kind of puzzled by popular artists that EVERYONE seems to hate as well. I mean if everyone hates them how are they popular?
>>
>>69561253

Because people voicing their opinion are only a fraction of people who buy music, which in turn are only a fraction of people that listen to music.
>>
He made gazillions of dollars peddling the blandest, most generic mompop imaginable. The Coldplay of the 80s.
>>
Because there was a point where his music was impossible to not be heard due to how much airplay it got.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhMiYV04Q2k
>>
>>69561250
He did? The only time I remember Bowie saying something negative about him was when he mentioned his Let's Dance era albums to be his "Phil Collins albums" in an interview.

But he said later that he didn't mean to insult Phil Collins, he just said that in a sense that his music from Let's Dance got played on the radio like Phil Collins at that time.
>>
see how far you can make it through this video before it gets too much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNJVFloPIVA

the third eyebrow raise was the final straw for me
>>
>>69561060
He's seen as 'ruining' Genesis by taking over after Peter Gabriel, when really it was Tony Banks' fault.
>>
>>69561060
He's a bit of a miserable sod
>>
>>69562804
That album was shit, but the previous ones were all good
>>
>>69562806

I blame Rutherford more. He is a fucking faggot
>>
Phil Collins is good
Genesis is shit
>>
>>69561060
Most of his solo career was a less good version of Peter Gabriel's solo career
>>
File: christgau4.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
christgau4.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
No Jacket Required [Atlantic, 1985]

Between his self-deprecating videos and his good taste in business associates (better Philip Bailey than, say, Steve Perry), Collins isn't as hateful as an art-rock leader-by-default turned best-selling-solo-artist-in-the-world-this-month might be. In fact, he's not hateful at all. But it takes more than that to make me want to hear a stupid love song again. Never mind the absolutely unsurprising lyrics and arrangements and just tell me why this is a great mean of Britpop voices? Is it because no one ever wonders what it sounds like unfiltered? C
>>
File: Peter+Gabriel+-+Rael[1].jpg (27KB, 222x350px) Image search: [Google]
Peter+Gabriel+-+Rael[1].jpg
27KB, 222x350px
>>69562906
REEEEE
>>
>>69562921
Christgau always amazes me with his ability of saying a lot of shit, but not really saying anything at all and putting a score in the end.
>>
>>69562952
He should've been a politician
>>
Here goes the objective Genesis power rankings

>God tier
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Selling England by the Pound
Foxtrot
A Trick of the Tail

>Great tier
Wind & Wuthering
Nursery Cryme
Duke
Trespass

>Good tier
And Then There Were Three
Abacab
S/T

>Okay tier
Invisible Touch

>Shit tier
We Can't Dance
From Genesis to Revelation
Calling All Stations
>>
I still don't know what prog-rock is.
>>
File: genesis.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
genesis.gif
2MB, 320x240px
ban this sick filth
>>
>God
Selling England by the Pound
Wind and Wuthering
Abacab

>Great
A Trick of the Tail
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Foxtrot
Invisible Touch

>Good
Nursery Cryme
Genesis (severely underrated)
Duke

>Shit
Everything else

>implying
Calling All Stations
From Genesis to Retardation
>>
>>69562952
The review seemed pretty straightforward to me.

>Collins's music isn't tasteless and there's far worse out there than him
>but at the same time his music is so unspectacular and so generic that one has to wonder what the appeal is
>>
>>69563075
Move Wind & Wuthering to god tier and We Can't Dance to okay tier and we're talking
>>
>>69563164
Who do you think this statement applies to more, Phill Collins or U2?
>>
>>69563094
let's see what wikipedia has to say about it

>Progressive rock (shortened as prog; sometimes art rock, classical rock or symphonic rock) is a broad subgenre of rock music[5] that originated in the United Kingdom and United States throughout the mid to late 1960s. Initially termed "progressive pop", the style was an outgrowth of psychedelic bands who abandoned standard pop traditions in favour of instrumentation and compositional techniques more frequently associated with jazz, folk or classical music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD5engyVXe0
>>
>>69563202
See alternative-rock would have worked so much better

Prog-rock works for shit like metal
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jdg1i6J1yY

I'm not an airheaded chick who reads romance novels.

Now please pass the Megadeth albums this way, thank you.
>>
File: smug phil.jpg (9KB, 296x300px) Image search: [Google]
smug phil.jpg
9KB, 296x300px
>>69563376
>there are people who still haven't grown out of metal
>>
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
>>
>>69563376
Christgau is right...Phil Collins is more tasteful than the likes of Journey, but that doesn't make his music any more advanced lyrically or compositionally.
>>
>>69563376
>>69563425
That's one of his worst songs desu, those love ballads he wrote because he can't get over the fact his ex wife cucked him are cringy

My favorite of his solo stuff is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZYe6gvFikY
>>
>>69563509
I don't know, collins and gabriel sound manlier than mustaine tbqh
>>
>>69563720
Who doesn't sound manlier than Mustaine tho?
>>
>>69563855
He sounds like he was developmentally arrested at 14 though.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.