[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a better jazz pianist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

Is there a better jazz pianist?
>>
>>69551458
Bud Powell
>>
McCoy Tyner. but it might be a matter of taste, Bill Evans is great
>>
File: Art_Tatum.jpg (5KB, 180x291px) Image search: [Google]
Art_Tatum.jpg
5KB, 180x291px
Hot Taint Them
>>
No Herbie?
>>
>>69551458
Bill Evans is awesome but he's no Art Tatum. Bud Powell is more influential since he started the trends that Evans carried forward. Thelonious Monk is probably my personal fave, and Chick Corea is at least Bill's equal
>>
Best jazz pianists currently recording and performing?
>>
>>69553846
Orrin Evans- I love his playing for how imaginative it is. No matter what project he is a part of he finds some way to move the whole band in an interesting direction. He plays with a lot of humor (something a lot of other modern pianists seem to lack) and his playing always seems to challenge the rest of the group (in a good way).

Craig Taborn- I think what I really like about Taborn's playing is how he uses color. He obviously draws influence from people like Cecil Taylor and Andrew Hill, but nobody else voices their chords quite like Taborn. I think he brings a unique and recognizable sound to whatever group he plays with.

Dave Kikoski- Dave's an incredible soloist and plays with ridiculous technique that draws on all of jazz piano history but he's really special for his skill as an accompanist. When he's comping behind a solo he's always so actively involved in what they're playing and he always pushes the solo to a new level.

Fred Hersch- He's another master who brings a lot of history to his playing. I think he's probably the top of the game when it comes to playing solo piano. He knows how to use the piano to really "orchestrate" the music and I think that also really shines through when he plays with ensembles. He's got unbelievable technique but he also knows how to use restraint and let simplicity come first.

Luis Perdomo- He's Venezuelan and grew up playing Latin music and classical, but he's also incredible at straight-ahead jazz. What really impresses me about him is his precision and infallible sense of time, even while playing very complicated poly-rhythmic stuff. He can also play a beautiful ballad.

Honorary mentions to: David Virelles, John Escreet, and George Colligan.
>>
>>69554077
>g is how he uses color.
What colour is G#? Is a major chord the same Orange as a maj 7?
>>
>>69554929
>Color
refers to the voicing of a chord. Some people also say "flavour".
>>
>>69555040
Load of bollocks tho innit?
>>
>>69555067
idk its jazz its all bollocks right
>deedly deedly SkWEEee bAP bA DOO dap
>>
>>69554077
Listening to some of these, I really like Hersch. He's got a softness that I like.
>>
>>69555088
It isn't an easy thing to get right anymore
>>
One that comes to mind is Ahmad Jamal, but i still think that Evans was technically the best
>>
John Hicksssssss
>>
Cyrus Chestnut, Ryo Fukui.
>>
File: c5e31c7f986e49f30a0a84d8b62d4.jpg (604KB, 2652x1821px) Image search: [Google]
c5e31c7f986e49f30a0a84d8b62d4.jpg
604KB, 2652x1821px
>>69551458
dat boi Jarrett
>>
>>69555285
>Ryo Fukui
back to /daily/ poseur
>>
>>69551458
desu Evans never really ranked above guys like Brubeck, Ahmad Jamal, Jaki Byard imo
>>
>>69555067
The word "chromatic" literally means "colorful"
>>
>>69554077

You sound like you know your stuff so assuming my favourite pianists are Bill Evans, Barry Harris, Thelonious Monk and McCoy Tyner, which currently alive and recording pianists would you recommend?

I'm a bit sick of listening to dead people.
>>
>>69556186
Tyner and Harris are both alive and both still perform in New York desu
>>
File: 1481206373384.png (25KB, 399x222px) Image search: [Google]
1481206373384.png
25KB, 399x222px
>>69556208

anon they are not going to live any longer. i want to know that there's some younger guy out there who's going to continue the 'older' jazz. seems like everyone is moving to more modern stuff nowadays.

WHERE IS THE NEXT BILL EVANS
>>
>>69556214
Danny Grissett
Kamil Piotrowicz had an album kind of like that
Jason Moran kind of
maybe Marcin Wasilewski
george calbes

idk figure it out yourself man
>>
>>69556214
>the 'older' jazz
Christian Sands and Aaron Diehl for sure
Also some of the other ones I already mentioned like Orrin Evans gets compared to Monk a lot. Hersch is pretty influenced by Evans. Luis Perdomo has some McCoy Tyner and Chick Corea in his sound.
>>
>>69556214
Oh and Bill Charlap and also Danny Grissett as the other guy suggested
>>
le jazz meme xD skibbidy dididtdi bop bop xd
>>
>>69551458
He's shit compared to players like Tex Withnell, Howard "Stacks" Simon, Lester Falsoh, Buddy Holden and Lith Roy.
>>
>>69556337
I'm gonna check out Hersch thanks man. I hope Barry Harris doesn't die anytime soon.
>>
>>69554077
>Dave Kikoski- Dave's an incredible soloist and plays with ridiculous technique that draws on all of jazz piano history but he's really special for his skill as an accompanist. When he's comping behind a solo he's always so actively involved in what they're playing and he always pushes the solo to a new level.
I only know him and it's fucking god tier jesus christ
>>
>>69555605
Nicely memed. Appreciate it!
>>
>>69556337

my anon friend Hersch sounds like Chopin had sex with Evans and made an illegitimate child man.

I LOVE IT.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.