[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard is trumpet to learn? I know how to play drums, guitar,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: trumpet.jpg (64KB, 480x193px) Image search: [Google]
trumpet.jpg
64KB, 480x193px
How hard is trumpet to learn? I know how to play drums, guitar, piano, etc. really well but I need to add horns to my repertoire. I don't want to get super serious with it or anything, I'd just like to play some simple melodies. Think stuff like Sufjan's Michigan.
>>
The biggest thing is embouchure and keeping your throat open as you play. I'd also practice some breathing exercises to help your air support. Honestly, learning the notes isn't hard at all until you start doing chromatic stuff, and you can find a fingering chart pretty easily. 3 valves means only a few combinations.

And don't puff your cheeks.
>>
>>69517542
Are there any trumpets for $150 and under that aren't garbage?
>>
>>69517613
If you can, I'd aim for something closer to 200 or 250. Also, if you don't plan on playing in a group, a crappy trumpet would be fine.
>>
I'm been trying to decide between a flute and a trumpet

Which is more enjoying to play?
>>
Sometimes you can find decent Bach trumpets on Craigslist. Search nearby cities with large high school or college band programs and you'll usually find trumpets that people are trying to sell fast for drug money.

When it comes to playing trumpet, there are a few things that you need to study:
-Proper embouchure (do a lot of lip buzzing and buzzing with the mouthpiece alone)
-Breathing exercises (In order to maintain proper, strong airflow and good intonation)
-Transposition (A standard Bb trumpet is not a concert pitched instrument and this throws off people whenever they're first learning)
-Tuning (Grab a tuner and tune using the tuning slides on the trumpet - but also watch the screen of the tuner while you play so you can see a visual representation of how weak or overpowering airflow can affect your intonation)

Get ahold of a beginner trumpet book, and you'll be good to go.

It took me about 7 months to proficiently play trumpet (well, enough to keep up with the 3rd trumpet part in big band music). I had prior brass experience, though, (I played tuba) so scale fingerings and basics still translated over (aside from the transposition issue).
>>
>>69518956
Yes definitely what this guy says. It also helps to just buzz into your mouthpiece if you have trouble with its size. My band director had us do it back when I was in like 5th grade, and it actually helps your embouchure so much, especially if you have no prior brass experience.
>>
>>69517980
That's probably more of a personal preference, based on what kind of music you want to play. Also, I believe flutes are generally cheaper, if that's an issue, but in terms of tempo and range of most songs, they're pretty similar.
>>
>>69517980
What music do you like?
>>
>>69517400
Honestly, it should be easy for you to pick up. Just do breathing exercises and practice with the mouthpiece.
>>
>>69517400
does knowing how to sing make learning the trumpet easier?
>>
>>69520324
knowing how to sing can help you tune and understand pitch, and if you can read music notation then that's definitely a plus...
>>
>>69520324
Having any musical background will definitely help. Most of learning an instrument is learning how to read notation, how to read notes and the other technical stuff. Picking up an instrument after already learning all of that is soooo much easier, honestly. At least, in my experience.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.