[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

keyboards and MIDI shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: sh-01_top_gal.jpg (214KB, 1680x777px) Image search: [Google]
sh-01_top_gal.jpg
214KB, 1680x777px
what kind of keyboard do you recommend to buy? i'm pretty much completely new to this and i would like something that is not too expensive but it doesn't have to be really cheap either. any good ones that you have had experience with?

pic related, i was looking at this one but don't have a clue if it's good or not
>>
Looks like a synth you got there senpai. Make sure you know the difference.

Novation, M-Audio, APC and Korg are good places to start. With MIDI controllers, they're all fundamentally the same so the biggest part is choosing what 'format' you're after ie launchpad style (pads), keys, faders, pots etc.
Word of warning, cheap ones will feel cheap and won't last as long and M-Audio are notorious for pitch wheels that break and send data mercilessly after a while which can cause huge problems.

I'd say look up MIDI controllers and brands and just kind of look at what's on offer. Check reviews and figure out a budget and what you'd like to start with.

Source: studied Music Tech at uni and have performed/written almost exclusively with MIDI for four years.
>>
MIDI keyboards don't really matter, they all essentially do the same thing the only difference between them is the weight of their keys and maybe whatever control parameters on it. If you're a beginner just buy a cheap one to get you started. I have a novation launch key which works great with ableton
>>
File: 51pfeRgSoSL._SL1024_.jpg (39KB, 1024x285px) Image search: [Google]
51pfeRgSoSL._SL1024_.jpg
39KB, 1024x285px
Pic related is my current MIDI keyboard that I've had for a good eight or nine months now, and it's worked like a charm. It's an AKM320 from Midiplus. I use it mainly for creating hiphop instrumentals and sometimes I try to practice my keyboard skills when my main one isn't available.

But yeah, what you got there is a synthesizer. Not a bad one, either.
>>
>>69446388
Be careful with newer launchkeys if you're wanting to do lots of your own mapping. They tend to be obsessed with coming up with their own mapping no matter how many times you tell em not to. My launchkey mini 25 drives me up the fuckin wall some days.
>>
File: MPK249_ortho_web_lg_01_700x438.png (205KB, 700x438px) Image search: [Google]
MPK249_ortho_web_lg_01_700x438.png
205KB, 700x438px
so what is the difference between a MIDI keyboard and a synthesizer? are synthesizers better for making music?

i saw this keyboard and read on some site when i googled it that it was a good one, i presume this is a synthesizer?
>>
>>69446943
A MIDI keyboard is just a controller. It sends MIDI event messages to your computer or synth modules so that they can be controlled, ie. you can play software synths on your computer.

A synthesizer itself is a self-contained sound creation engine. It makes the sounds you hear.
>>
>>69446943
and no, that's not a synthesizer. It's a MIDI keyboard/controller.
>>
>>69446943
Think of it like a MIDI keyboard being the literal keys, a synthesiser makes the sounds behind the keys. While some MIDI's have some control over sound, they do not 'create the sound' a synth does in this way.

Honestly, do not take this the wrong way, if you do not know the difference at this stage DO NOT SPEND MONEY ON ANYTHING PHYSICAL. Just pirate logic, pirate massive and learn what you are doing.

If you don't know what a MIDI/synth are do not buy them. You will end up with a synth which doesn't make the sound you want.
>>
>>69446943
You posted a MIDI keyboard.
The difference between a MIDI keyboard and a synthesiser is like the difference between a computer keyboard and a typewriter.
They both perform a similar function and have the same interface but one sends signals to the computer and one actually writes stuff out.

A synthesiser makes sounds of its own, a MIDI controller only controls other sound makers. If you have a computer with a DAW like Ableton, Logic or even GarageBand then a MIDI keyboard will connect to the computer and make cool things happen and a cheap MIDI keyboard is best for this instance. The one you pictured is a great MIDI keyboard but expensive.
If you want a synthesiser that you can plug into an amplifier or speaker then you want to start with Rolands and KORGs. They make both cheap, low end models and High quality professional stuff. Watch a few youtube videos on the kind of synth you want. Your OP picture is a Synthesiser.
>>
ok, i think i get it now, and >>69447196, i have pirated Logic, but that's why i wanted a keyboard, to be able to do something more and not just use my computer keyboard. i think i will get a MIDI keyboard and not a synthesizer.

thanks a lot for the help
>>
File: dingusalert.gif (320KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
dingusalert.gif
320KB, 300x169px
Not OP, but can most synthesizers typically function as a MIDI controller and run a soft synth on a computer?

How do you know if it can, would it be able to just by having a MIDI input, or does it need to be manufactured to do so? I would like to find a hard synthesizer that can double as a controller if need be
>>
Anything with a midi output can be used as a controller. Sometimes it can be a bit of a pain though. You'll notice in the DAW that there's usually a menu of popular midi controllers and you're supposed to choose the one that you're using, ie M-Audio Keystation or whatever. But if you're using a synth, it won't be on that list, so just choose "generic midi keyboard" or whatever option is along those lines. It will should work.
>>
>>69449164
>>69449090
meant to reply
>>
>>69449090
>>69449164
good to know, thanks guy
>>
Any good synths with midi compatibility?
>>
>>69445926
>what kind of keyboard do you recommend to buy?
buy a good one, so you don't have to buy another one after some weeks. At least 61 keys, velocity and aftertouch, some midi controller knobs.

ensure your keyboard is class compliant, so it works with ios etc.

ensure also there is at least sustain and expression pedal input.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.