[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to get into jazz?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 8b1f0d01.jpg (56KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
8b1f0d01.jpg
56KB, 600x600px
How to get into jazz?
>>
>>69445836
Listen to some jazz music. If you like it listen to more jazz music.
>>
>>69445858
first post best post.

/thread
>>
John Coltrane
>A Love Supreme
>Giant Steps
>Blue Train

Miles Davis
>Kind of Blue
>Round About Midnight
>Birth of the Cool

Charles Mingus
>Mingus Ah Uhm
>Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
>Tijuana Moods

I was a jazz musician in high school and part of college and these were the essential albums to memorize. After that, we branched out and experimented with other genres. Personal favorite jazz albums of mine are

Getz/Gilberto- Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto (Boss Nova)
Wave- Antonio Carlos Jobim (Bossa Nova)
Bitches Brew- Miles Davis (Jazz Fusion)
Idle Moments- Grant Greene (Guitar based jazz, kind of bluesy)
Saxophone Colossus- Sonny Rollins (Hard Bop)
Potrait in Jazz- Bill Evans (Melancholy piano based jazz)
>>
File: Getting into jazz flow chart.png (235KB, 1684x1710px) Image search: [Google]
Getting into jazz flow chart.png
235KB, 1684x1710px
>>69445836
The Key really is to just listen to and enjoy lots of Jazz, but what you're probably asking is what you should listen to in order to penetrate the rabbit hole of the genre.

Many people will tell you to listen to Jazz giants, which is definitely a good idea, but understand that it is not the only type of jazz. I love jazz, but I hardly listen to the big guys. The world of jazz is filled with lesser known or completely obscure gems. If you only listen to who's incredibly famous you'd probably get bored.

Youtube and Spotify are great places to find jazz. I have an account where I only listen to music on Youtube, and I get amazing recommendations. I've found alot of great artists that way.
>>
>>69446034
you were a jazz musician for several years and you never expanded out of listening to '50s and '60s modern jazz?
>>
File: Jangle-->intro to jazz.png (1MB, 1166x1135px) Image search: [Google]
Jangle-->intro to jazz.png
1MB, 1166x1135px
Sup.
>>
>>69446086
Oh, I listened to plenty of 70s to contemporary jazz, but a lot of it didn't stick out to me like the 50s and 60s ones did, except for Hancock. I'm not a huge fan of the funkier and experimental jazz fusion stuff.
>>
File: 51VLCjyY73L[1].jpg (45KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51VLCjyY73L[1].jpg
45KB, 500x500px
I've been wanting to get into jazz more too. The stuff that I've liked the most is fusion stuff like this or Romantic Warrior.
>>
>>69446161
but you're too good for the first half of jazz history and you never got into free jazz or third stream. good to hear you quit playing. jazz is dead because of people like you.
>>
>>69446096
>ryo fukui
>john zorn
retard
>>
>>69446034
These are some very good recommendations, additionally for some variety:

Yusef Lateef
>The Doctor is in and Out
>Detroit

Alice Miller (contemporary)
>Otis was a Polar Bear
(this is actually her only good album but it's very good)

Sun Ra (experimental)
>Sleeping Beauty
>Sun Ra and his Arkestra

Roy Hargrove (contemporary)
>Earfood
>Hard Groove
>>
>>69446364
>not Eastern Sounds
jk those are both good Yusef albums, but i think eastern sounds is the easiest to get into
>>
>>69446279
I don't know the album, but you can always listen to fusion which is weighed heavier on the jazz side

RH Factor - Jazz + HipHop
>Hard Groove

Julian Lage - Jazz Rock
>Arclight

The band Chicago - Jazz Rock

But if you're going to get into Jazz I recommend just diving in and seeing what the genre has to offer.
>>
ryo fukui
>>
>>69445858
See this is the problem. Someone like Kenny G is universally hated but it sounds good to me because I'm a pleb and don't understand why it's bad.

>>69446034
I listened to some of those and I loved Black Saint and the Sinner Lady the most. Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme were pretty good too, but it all sounds good to me because I have no idea what bad jazz sounds like
>>
>>69446693
How is that a problem? Listen to music you like, ignore naysayers.

Personally I don't like Kenny G, but who am i to say that you shouldn't listen to him.
>>
>>69446707
Yeah I'm not gonna instantly stop listening to something just because it's considered bad, I'd just like to know why it is
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.