[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beach Boys albums

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: Beach Boys colorized.jpg (929KB, 2989x1809px) Image search: [Google]
Beach Boys colorized.jpg
929KB, 2989x1809px
What're some of your favorite Beach Boys records? Contrarian opinions welcome. I've really only listened to TSS, PS and Surf's Up and I'm wondering where to go from there.
>>
Smiley Smile > TSS and BWPS, desu

but you should just go in order from Pet Sounds to Love You

and eventually grow up and realize Van Dyke Parks > The Beach Boys
>>
>>69445124
Beach Boys more like Bitch Bois
>>
File: beach boys .jpg (2MB, 3140x3468px) Image search: [Google]
beach boys .jpg
2MB, 3140x3468px
>>
Love You is great, it has some of Brian's best songwriting since Smile filtered through this creepy childish schizoid atmosphere and analog synth

I also really like Holland, the other members (especially Carl) really shine on that album
>>
>>69445393
>JUST FUCK MY LIFE UP
>>
Bump
Also, what's the deal with Carl and the Passions - "So Tough"? Is it a concept album, or what? I can't find any answers about that.
>>
>>69446914
It's just another album they named after an older version of their band. It's pretty good due to Brian's rockers and Dennis's ballads. "All This is That" is a great collaboration that I feel was probably steered by Carl.

Otherwise, albums/tracks I'd recommend that weren't mentioned in the thread so far are:

Today! - Essentially a pre-cursor to Pet Sounds production-wise. The first half is upbeat tracks while the second track are impressive reflective ones.

The album after Today, Summer Days (and Summer Nights) is hit-and-miss, but there are many worth tracks done this time, some of which aren't even on that album. On that album I'd suggest listening to Help Me Rhonda, California Girls, Let Him Run Wild, and Summer Means New Love. Meanwhile, Brian produced a song he wrote for Glen Campbell called "Guess I'm Dumb". It sounds just like a Brian song of this era but sung by Campbell. Brian also released a single between Summer Days and Pet Sounds called "The Little Girl I Once Knew" which is phenomenal and even John Lennon was raving about it. Some more: Brian had some pre-Pet Sounds tracks he did to just fuck around in the studio: they're called "Trombone Dixie" and "Three Blind Mice". There's also a song fragment from this era called "Sandy" that's good.

For later stuff, I'd recommend listening to Sunflower the whole way through - it's really good and there's a number of Brian tracks on there. Then listen to Break Away, imo the most hugely underrated Beach Boys song; it was released as a single around this time. It's really fucking good.

One last rec - Brian Wilson's self-titled first solo-album is really good. Stop there though. All of his other solo albums are garbage (yes, that includes Lucky Old Sun).
>>
Smile is too obvious an answer so I'll say that my favorite album is A Beach Boys Party.

Honorable mention: Summer Days and Summer Nights!
>>
File: wilsonregret.jpg (75KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
wilsonregret.jpg
75KB, 630x630px
M.I.U Album
>>
>>69445393
This is one step away from a fucking spreadsheet, and it's not okay
Fucking dropped tbqh senpai
>>
>>69448618
My Diane on that album is a hidden gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkenuxWdk-Y
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.