[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Twenty one Pilots remind anyone else of Animal Collective?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

Does Twenty one Pilots remind anyone else of Animal Collective?
>>
File: 1480785594988.gif (269KB, 234x249px) Image search: [Google]
1480785594988.gif
269KB, 234x249px
They're both shit
>>
people hate on both of them because their insecure in their own musical taste
>>
twenty-one pilots are possibly the most polarized band currently working today. Admit it; you either love them or hate them. And yeah, I'm a fan. From their self-titled debut that, while not the most vocally refined, was absolutely dripping with emotion, to their sophomore Regional At Best (which was the best thing they did until this) which was far less fat and arguably even more emotionally vast, seriously that album's near a classic.

Then there was Vessel. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album, potentially one of the best of 2013, but it added absolutely nothing good to compensate for the fact that the only reason it was great is by biting off of Regional At Best. It retook the sloppy, awkward performances of Self-Titled, without having as much emotional payoff (I'm speaking ONLY for the new songs besides Migraine and Truce).

But here's a confession: I'm what most fans of this band would call a "fake fan". I first heard of them through Stressed Out on my quest to getting music taste, and I remember liking it, but not loving it. Then I started noticing that "wow, a lot of people seem to like this band by mainstream standards". So I decided, whatever, and checked out their latest album Blurryface. Did it deliver?

Well....duh. Of course it did! Of course I still love Self-Titled, Regional At Best, and Vessel, but the improvements universally are almost a different artist altogether! Easily the best pop album of 2015, it was close to the best album of that year period! How did that happen?
>>
>>69442990
is this from golden eye?
>>
>>69443107
spider man

>>69443081
stop
>>
>>69443118
Well, let's take a look at the obviously most improved area: Tyler Joseph himself. Now, in the past, I'll admit he has charisma and emotional range, but his vocal tone can seem pretty awkward. He sounded very much behind his age, so to speak. And while that was occasionally charming, more often than not it was kind of grating.

With this album, Tyler's fixed that entirely. His voice is considerably more naturally thick and mature, he has much more bass (even with exceptions like on Ride), and his charisma has not fallen away as the rough edges are scraped off his voice. As a result, the screaming is for the most part vastly turned down, but they're still there enough to give Joseph even more of a personality.

And speaking of personality, the instrumentation and production has vastly improved from the last three albums as well. Now, twenty-one pilots' biggest problem was, in fact, their production. They used a lot of electronic-but-not-really-dance beats when they didn't have downbeat piano ballads, and the occasional ukulele disaster (looks at Screen. However, they had a pretty tight budget and not a ton of experience, so often these synths went haywire into a very thin and chintzy gray zone that often ran together, especially without a lot of lower tones.

On Blurryface, not only is there significantly more outright diversity, both tonally and emotionally, but the mid-range and bass are significantly more fleshed out, making the album have a lot more atmosphere and texture. Their genres here are very all-over-the-place and messy, but somehow still ridiculously cohesive, spanning arctic hip-hop, piano pop-rock, reggae, soul, melancholy trap, and so much more, all pulling it off in a grandeur, really quite lovable fashion.
>>
>>69443171
Jesus Christ, are you actually a 15 year old tumblr girl? No grown man talks like this, or cares about Twenty One Pilots.
>>
>>69443325
And of course, all the individual compositions are awesome. The shrieking wobble of the synths that careen off of complex drumming and bleak pianos on HeavyDirtySoul balanced by some truly beautiful guitar swell, the dissonant peripheral keys and pianos balanced by smooth, quick drums, a shifting bass, and a spacey, long synth on Stressed Out, -- that did run pretty cold, to be fair, and also pitch shifting. Easily the weakest song here -- and the reggae guitars matched by huge buzzing synths, whirring bass, and exploding percussion on Ride, these are all three vastly different styles, all performed spectacularly.

And that's not even getting to the highest point on the album Fairly Local, easily the darkest and most punishing song twenty-one pilots has ever recorded. The shroud of cloudy and well-balanced reverb offering even more of a chill for punchy, icy synths accentuating the glitchy skittering melody complete with bombastic, symphonic arrays of strings, and that's just the higher layer. When you dig into the deeper core of the mix, you notice elements that elevate this even higher than just the melodies. The syncopated pianos on the first prechorus, the haunting Blurryface vocals on the second prechorus, the slick hi-hats and quick drums, and most of all the BASSWORK. The walls of growling bass send the song into absolutely gigantic territory, combined with the percussion careened off of by a titanic wall of gritty bass strings, it's a frigid, gothic crunch of a song that's an absolute blessing to have on the album.
>>
>>69443325
Jesus Christ, can you not recognize pasta when you see it? No true memelover would ever be fool by this, or care about such obvious bait.
>>
>>69443325
He's copying from a RYM review. https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/twenty_one_pilots/blurryface/
>>
File: animal-collective.jpg (72KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
animal-collective.jpg
72KB, 550x413px
No.
>>
>>69443081
Lol you read a lot of cheesy music journalism.
>>
>>69443107
Sim city u pleb
>>
I get a more of a Why?/Demon Days feeling myself, also now I must do a double shit post

>ONE
>IF
>>
Animal Collective is legitimately one of the worst bands of all time.

This is what happens when a bunch of faux-artsy numales really want to be cool and different but are too dumb and uninteresting to do it any way possible and also think they're too good for anything that conveys any kind of emotion. Or is catchy. Or is written well. Or has anything redeeming.

Listening to this god-awful band is like having an 8th grader beat me over the head with a finger painting. It is so contrived it's agonizing. These guys so hard to be artsy it sounds like the members have veigns popping out of their forehead.

It goes out of its way to be different because it has no other ways to be interesting and the way it's different is just random bullshit. It's lame as fuck and them cranking that factor up to 11 doesn't change that.

I don't expect any kind of rebuttal because their fans are the worst kind of hipsters that act like babies when someone doesn't like what they like and think insulting someone is an argument.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.