[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any professional musicians here? What is your life like? Would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1. Yes3.jpg (35KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
1. Yes3.jpg
35KB, 600x401px
Any professional musicians here?

What is your life like? Would you recommend this path to someone who is a dedicated musician?
>>
>>69431316

I did it for a couple years. It's garbage. The only way to scrape by is to end up being a teacher and you can't charge any decent amount of money without a meme music degree.

I have a lot more fun working a regular job, being able to afford all the gear I want, and playing in my evenings/weekends.

Don't quit your job before you make it. And definitely don't quit your job before you even have one.
>>
>>69431372
Do you think your career would be different if you had a music degree? Because I really want to go to Berklee.

Also, what instrument do you play? I play bass.
>>
Yeah hey it's me Will.

Life is pretty good. I'm finally coming to terms with being a furry.

I say go for it, pal.
>>
>>69431422
Do you want to yiff?
>>
>>69431395

Probably. Having that paper means you can charge a good $25+ per lesson. Crank out 8 lessons that day and you're making union money.

I also hate kids so...............

>Also, what instrument do you play? I play bass.

A bunch of shit. I lived in an area where everyone was a hippy songwriter and loved Mumford and Sons. I could play mando, banjo and fiddle well enough to fake it for all the 21 year olds who had 4 or 5 songs and no friends. Made friends with a couple studio owners and played on other folk's stuff. Mainly a guitarist, though.
>>
>>69431479
If you lived somewhere like Jew York would that allow you to get more gigs?
>>
If you want to become a pro- that is, to play in hired bands and do sessions- you basically need to be willing to network like crazy and to get very good at a particular set of skills. Music school helps in these regards.
If you want to become a successful artist in your own right? A lot of it will be down to luck, although hard work helps.
>>
>>69431518
I'm aiming to try and be a session bassist a la Jamerson or something like that
>>
>>69431516

Possibly, but the competition is also a lot stronger. I got gigs mostly because I was friends with bands and studio owners, not because I was really the best guy around.

>>69431554
Sessioning is the best gig in music IMO. But like this guy said >>69431518
>>
Record label boss here. It's awesome. Making a cup of tea right now.
>>
>>69431583
How much would someone who works for you get paid?
>>
>>69431602
Depends, might take a $500 advance off them for a cd 'burn', something like that
>>
>>69431554
You'll need very good chops, sight-reading ability + music theory, and a business card
>>
File: jaco.jpg (100KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
jaco.jpg
100KB, 620x349px
>>69431691
I can say confidently that I have really good technical ability, I can play pretty much any style and play cool basslines, and I can read pretty well. I can't really sight read a 16th funk chart right away but I can get away with most things, and I know lots of Jazz harmony and general theory that everyone should know.
No business card yet...
>>
>>69431372

>The only way to scrape by is to end up being a teacher and you can't charge any decent amount of money without a meme music degree.

You're paying for the right to decide these kids' mid-life crises. Their parents want to know that you wasted a lot of money before they'll feel comfortable wasting a lot of money making their 12 yo's future coming of age story as angsty and distortion laden as possible.
>>
>>69431583
What kind of music do you release?
What do you look for in an artist?
>>
File: 20161128_001133.jpg (657KB, 1616x1212px) Image search: [Google]
20161128_001133.jpg
657KB, 1616x1212px
>>69431767
Getting a business bank account soon, saw an accountant, trying to get in touch with Music Publishers Association (i think they may be dead or gone under), I'm going to visit a copyright lawyer in Green Park

Then..... until I get €10k euros or something it'll be dormant
It was supposed to be exhibit/sell art get money, get signed for album deal, buy a volkswagen and dick about for the rest of my life with jazz and painting
I've got a bag of fruit for the weekend so that's some progress
>>
>>69431916
I hate that font they use on every jazz chart with a passion. It's the comic sans of sheet music.
>>
>>69432083
So cheesey
>>
>>69431916

forgive me father for I have sinned

it's been 11 months and I've only learned 8 chords. also, I can't really sing that good. I know it's not really an excuse, but I would like to point out that I was objectively literally less productive in every other area of my life. I know because I documented the whole thing. I had to associate my guitar as a 13 yo Japanese schoolgirl. in case anyone reading this is offered the same choice, take fish oil before you slit your wrists.
>>
>>69432806
>only learned 8 chords.
A major, b major, c major , d major etc. ?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.