[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prince

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 6

File: 2ff87515.jpg (177KB, 790x395px) Image search: [Google]
2ff87515.jpg
177KB, 790x395px
so now that he's been dead awhile and most of the bandwagoners who only liked him after he died have stopped pretending to care for facebook likes, what is your opinion of Prince?

favorite songs? favorite albums?
>>
>>69428067
>fav songs
Beautiful Ones, Raspberry Beret, Sign O, I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man, Let's Pretend We're Married, Cinnamon Girl
>fav albums
Sign O, Controversy, Purple Rain, Diamonds and Pearls, Lotusflower
>>
Computer Blue is my favorite song.

and as for the man himself, I greatly admire his musical talent but I have a feeling I wouldn't have enjoyed meeting him in person.
>>
>>69428067
I've only listened to his very first album. I was gonna try to listen to his whole discography (I know a site) but I keep forgetting to. I'm gonna try to during Christmas break after I'm done with another artists discography.
>>
>>69428222
start with 1999 and Purple Rain

Revolution best Prince backing band
>>
If you were mine is my favorite of all time.
my Fav album would probably be the Batman Soundtrack he did
>>
>>69428249
What am I a quitter? Nah man I'm listening to ALL of it. In order. It's gonna be a hell of an adventure.
>>
His greatest album is Sign O The Times, but I will always have a warm place in my heart for Around The World in a Day. I generally like almost all of his albums after 1999, well into the mid 90's.
>>
>songs
Lady Cab Driver, I Would Die 4 U, Housequake, Dorothy Parker, It, Slow Love, When 2 R In Love, Strollin', Love 2 the 9's, Somebody's Somebody, Right Back Here In My Arms and My Computer

>albums
Sign o', Emancipation, 1999, Dirty Mind, Crystal Ball
>>
>>69428266
oh don't get me wrong, by all means do listen to everything, it's all great music
but those two albums were his peak
>>
>>69428278
Oh and Temptation is the best Prince track. Feels like his manifesto.

>>69428266
Good luck but not really. There are a lot of records in his discography that you really, truly have no reason to listen to.
>>
>>69428304
they're worth a listen
but they're not worth playing over and over
>>
He killed any chance of his music continuing to be popular by not having it avalible online
>>
>>69428347
I agree, but you have to understand, his peak was in the 80's, before internet, before youtube, before mp3's, back when MTV actually played music and people payed money for vinyl records. not everyone can get with the times as it were.
>>
>>69428347
Believe it or not, the music industry doesn't revolve around Youtube and Spotify. It's possible for people to listen to music on CD's, Vinyl or even pirating it digitally.
>>
>>69428304
Well i won't find out until I get there!

The only album I've heard flat out bad reception for was "Come". I heard the title track and really enjoyed it.
>>
>>69428398
that said, I think it's retarded that whoever control his rights is continuing to sue people who upload his music.
>>
>>69428430
he probably put it in his will
>after I'm gone, continue suing everyone for all eternity
>>
>>69428347
It is online though.

https://musicmp3.ru/artist_prince.html

(3rd eye girl album is on another page)
>>
Sign O the Times, Parade, 1999, One Night Alone, Around The World In A Day, Dirty Mind, Lovesexy

Too many songs to narrow it down, He's got a lot of great stuff.
>>
>>69428067
>what is your opinion of Prince?

He's the irate example of a pop artist and I don't mean that as a good nor bad thing.

He's a great producer and has proven his versatility on countless of occasions. The most unique thing about him is his songs you can listen to and not immediately tell that it's Prince without listening to it first.

But still, he's a pop artist and his music only sounds at it's best by the era it was popular in. Half of his music nowadays don't have much replay value to them since the aged like shit.

Regardless, Prince wasn't only known for his music.
>>
>tfw missed the Revolution reunion shows at First Avenue because I had to work

reeee

I really hope someone shot a professional video of one of those shows and is just sitting on it waiting for the right time to release it

all I've seen so far is shitty iPhone videos of it

Wendy, Lisa, BobbyZ, Dr. Fink, BrownMark, and Dez kick ass!
>>
What do you think of the production? I found Sign O the Times a bit unpleasant on headphones.
>>
>>69428728
how so? sounds good on my headphones.
>>
>>69428755
Something about the bass sound. He used drum machines right? It's been a while since I listened to it.
Perhaps it's a matter of taste.
>>
>>69428623
I wouldn't say he was the typical pop artist though.

yeah maybe you could say that if you only listen to the hit singles. but the deep cuts are where it's at.
>>
>>69428810
drum machines on a lot, real drums on a few
>>
as a drummer...

that drum machine "clap" effect he used on songs like 1999, Computer Blue, I Would Die 4 U, Raspberry Beret, etc.

it just drives me nuts. I don't know why but I really like that sound. makes me want to add electronic pads to my acoustic kit.
>>
>>69428960
I'm a drummer too and I use electronic almost exclusively now a days.
>>
OP is a pretentious faggot. Albums: Purple Rain, Diamonds&Pearls. Songs: Head.
>>
Kiss is the worst song I've ever heard
>>
>>69429049
I can think of a thousand songs with "kiss" in the title that are worse.
>>
>>69428067
He is kind of like Woody Allen, he was great in the 70/80s and only made something really good every once in a while after that.

I know it's a basic af answer but Purple Rain is the best album, but Dirty Mind is also fantastic. When Doves Cry is my favorite of his songs.
>>
>>69429098
Fuck you
>>
>>69428972
I have an electronic kit for practicing in my apartment and recording rough demos but I'd like to get pads to add on to my real drums
>>
>>69429027
why? because I dissed the bandwagoners?
it's the same when any musician dies. everyone wants to make it about themselves and how they always loved him and its bullshit.
>>
>>69429189
) I've been liking electronic a lot more lately. I almost never use an acoustic kit since the electronic has so much more variety. I've even been thinking about getting rid of my acoustic kit for an electronic one (aside from my SPD).
>>
>>69429241
I still hang on to the acoustic kit because mesh and rubber don't have the same feel on the sticks as mylar and bronze

but yeah, electric is quieter, easier to record, more sounds you can use, break less sticks, easier to haul around... but that feel and that sound dude I miss that feel and sound of real drums when Im playing electric
>>
>>69429221

Prince was an evergreen top-tier pop artist with a career spanning four decades. Implying a bandwagon is implying that Prince was some sort of unknown fringe artist.

To actually believe what you believe, you'd have to be either some pretentious sadcase living in a cave or a know-nothing kid.
>>
>>69429321
are you implying that hus record sales jumped when he died because everyone that already liked him decided to go out and buy it all again?

get real dude the musician death bandwagon effect is real. same for Bowie, same for Jackson, same for Hendrix, same for Kobain. just goes to show you that most people don't care until you are dead.
>>
>>69429390

Wow you actually believe that. I bet you think that Scott Walker is a sekrit too.
>>
>>69429390
That doesn't mean people only listen to those because they die, that means they were already fans and the artist dying made them want to listen to them even more.
>>
>>69429302
What module electric do you got?
>>
File: td-4kp_kit_mesh_snare_gal.jpg (76KB, 791x1050px) Image search: [Google]
td-4kp_kit_mesh_snare_gal.jpg
76KB, 791x1050px
>>69429686
Roland TD4KPS
pic related

its by no means top of the line but it sounds pretty damn good. and it folds up for easy transport. and it also has a MIDI out so if you don't like the onboard sounds you can plug it into a DAW and assign any sounds you want. would recommend.
>>
>>69428345
Fair enough
>>
>>69429869
>>69429869

As a bass player I wish more drummers would have these kits. For starters it means you can jam and practice in the loungeroom, and if you're not practicing with other musicians you're not growing. It also means not going deaf so quickly.
>>
>>69429467
>>69429487
typical /mu/
having to be more elitist than the elitists
>>
>>69429908
I play bass (and guitar) also and I agree it's great. acoustic drums are fucking loud and unless you are playing a show it's unnecessary to rape your ears with that level of volume.
>>
>>69429984
public service announcement:

ALWAYS WEAR EARPLUGS AT BAND PRACTICE WITH ACOUSTIC DRUMS

OR YOU WILL REGRET IT IN A FEW YEARS
>>
>>69430061

No shit dumbass. That's the whole point, why lug a ton of stage gear to some studio so you can listen to a muffled fog when you can just listen to crystal clear playing in the comfort of your lounge-room.

Shit even just throw on some records and play along.
>>
Prince is the man who got me to pick up bass guitar back when I was 8. For that he will always go down as one of my favorite musicians of all time.
Favorite songs: Erotic City, I Wanna Be Your Lover, When The Doves Cry, Alphabet Street, Extraloveable (OG), COOL, Head, I Would Die 4 U, Computer Blue, Let's Go Crazy, Kiss, 1999.
>>
>>69429869
God damn it looks nice.

How many pre set kits are on it?
>>
>>69430171
are we talking home practice playing along with records or live performance though
>>
"Put Da Whole Nasty Sparkling Thang In The Hot Crazy Pussayy" is a subtle and subdued classic, wow he really twangs and twiddles the guitar in that one, really impressive.

but seriously fuck this degenerate's greasy body of work
>>
>>69428067
Really overrated imo. His songs weren't memorable and on a personal level he was a total faggot

Budget Michael Jackson
>>
>>69430196
25 preset kits
and you can overwrite them all and assign any of the sounds from those 2t kits to any of the pads, and name your custom kit

also you can adjust muffling and pitch for most of the sounds

it's pretty legit obviously the $6000 top of the line Roland kit is gonna have more options but for the price the functionality can't be beat. don't waste money on other brands Roland is the best electronic drums this is fact not opinion
>>
>>69429390
People have always played Jackson...even before he died. He was one of, if not the most popular musician worldwide of all time.
>>
>>69430315
yeah but you cant deny for awhile after he died everyone was like OMG MICHAEL JACKSON GREAT ARTIST RIP whereas before he was the butt of pedophile jokes
>>
>>69430223

>drummer IQ joke here
>>
File: IMG_2363.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2363.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>69430298
God damn man that's really nice. I personally use an SPD 30. It's Roland too and it's been working great for me. 97 pre set kits, 3 open user kits and at least 1000 sounds.
>>
>>69430358
you looking for a tussle m8
>>
>>69430365
those are nice
perfect add on to an acoustic kit
but how do you do the hihat and bass drum pedals?
>>
>>69430298
>>69430298

I bought a half-decent pad set from Aldi, good for the lounge. They also did a full electric kit which was also OK.
>>
>>69430402
I don't have the pedals for it, unfortunately, since they were pretty expensive.

There are bass/hats on the pad and without the pedal it changes to open/close with how hard you hit the hi-hat pad.

The pedals plug into the back of it and that effects the kit sounds and makes it easier to control the hat.
>>
>>69430410
>Aldi

the grocery store? or is this a brand I haven't heard of

also you seem to like your lounge a lot.
tell me about the lounge, is it comfy?
>>
>>69430430
I see
sort of like the cymbal pads on the TD4KPS

bow and edge are assigned different sounds

and for the ride cymbal (whichever pad you decide to assign it to, onbpatd has a jazz ride sound and a rock ride sound) you can set it so hitting it soft is ride, and hard is the bell of a ride
>>
>>69430500
onboard*
>>
>>69430441

The grocery store. They do special runs of whatever and sometimes they do a run of musical instruments. The drums have a pretty lame brain, but they are full midi. I use my pad for tapping into hydrogen on my lappy.
>>
>>69430589
bist du Deutscher?

here in America, Aldi only sells cheap food and household supplies. no instruments.
>>
I like his s/t and Sign O' The Times
>>
>>69430623

Australia. Maybe it's because we're so close to china they can ship ching-chong shit and flog it off.
>>
Prince never put out a bad record.
Favorite song: The Beautiful Ones.
>>
>>69430687
I see
wish Aldi was cool enough to sell musical instruments here even if they aren't super good quality might be fun to beat around on
>>
>>69430714
BABY BABY BABY
WHAT'S IT GONNA BE?
great song
>>
>go to karaoke at the bar
>watch people half-ass drunken butcher Purple Rain
>go up and sing 1999, adding every "oww" and "WOOO", changing voices for Lisa/Dez/Prince

musicians singing karaoke is like unfair to the drunken normies
>>
>>69430714
true but even among good records the truly great ones will shine through
>>
ive listened to s/t and sign o the times
rec me some prince albums with bangers
>>
>>69431009
DirtyMind Controversy 1999 PurpleRain
>>
>>69431064
they're not on soulseek
fuk
>>
>>69431220
pirate them then.
he's dead who cares?
the only people who care are lawyers making money off of his death so fuck it
>>
>>69431786
thats what im trying to do but It's hard to find some of his releases :/
>>
>>69428067
>so now that he's been dead awhile and most of the bandwagoners who only liked him after he died have stopped pretending to care for facebook likes, what is your opinion of Prince?
fuck off with your normie problems, wllya?
>>
>>69428960
I feel the exact same way. It's a same other drummers are so immediately turned off by that.
>>
darling nikki is LIT
>>
File: Prince, his royal badness.jpg (150KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Prince, his royal badness.jpg
150KB, 800x800px
my favorite song might be Pop Life. Erotic City, Darling Nikki, Seven, Sign o' TT, Cream, Starfish and Coffee, Hot Thing, If I was Your Gf, Gett Off, Jughead, Sexy MF, Letitgo, Diamonds and Pearls, Billyjack Bitch. plus all the big top ten hits everyone says.

This thread is really sleeping on his 90s output.

Come most underrated album. Dirty Mind too.

Loved the 3rd Eye Girl record. Anything where he showcases the guitar. A very kind anon shared a lost short album called The Undertaker where he just shreds the whole time with only bass and drums backing him. it's in the archive.
>>
>>69428067
i liked post purple rain prince, always thought he was a great guitar player. Almost hendrix like the way he can make a guitar sing
>>
File: phantom.jpg (75KB, 960x761px) Image search: [Google]
phantom.jpg
75KB, 960x761px
like "DIRTY MIND" alot
>>
>>69431884
good sounds are good sounds
as long as there is a way for a drummer to trigger those sounds with sticks it's all good to me
>>
>>69428067
Purple Rain and 1982 are pretty gud albums. I like Purple Rain more though.
>>
I think the only blemish on his discography was Graffiti Bridge. That album seems to have every bad song Prince wrote.
>>
File: 1479923926862.jpg (35KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1479923926862.jpg
35KB, 480x640px
>>69428067

>Songs
When we're dancing close and slow, Adore, Purple Rain
>Albums
Bootleg Crystal Ball obviously
>>
>>69428067
Favorite song is probably Dreamer or Colonized Mind.
Favorite album is Lotusflow3r.
I really think he's very talented. I only started listening to him maybe last year or so. I had known about his work for years since my dad and mom were huge fans of his in the 80s. I use to think he was very gimmicky and wasn't down with him til one time I was bored and class and did some research on him. Once I started researching him and looking deeper into his discography. I really just found lots of impressive things. He's a very talented musician. Who definitely was talented vocally but in my opinion was more talented as a songwriter and instrument player.
>>
>>69433863
This. Prince was one of the few, fully self realized artists.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.