[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FUCK THE STROKES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: thestrokes_isthisit.jpg (136KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
thestrokes_isthisit.jpg
136KB, 1000x1000px
They're a piece of shit band. I used to think pic related was a 10/10 and that they were an overall good band but in my natural transition to patricianhood that comes with listening to more music I've realized they're total ripoffs.
Here are the following list of artists where they ripped their style off:
>Buzzcocks
>The Velvet Underground
>Lou Reed
>Television
>The Modern Lovers
>The Cars
Now for pic related, here are songs that are obvious rip-offs from other songs (some of them even got confirmed by Julian):
>TVU - I'm Waiting For My Man (The Modern Age)
>Pixies - Where Is My Mind? (Is This It)
>Buzzcocks - Everybody's Happy Nowadays (Someday)
>TVU - Lisa Says (Is This It)
>Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - American Girl (Someday)
>TVU - I Found A Reason (Is This It)
>TVU - Rock & Roll (When It Started)

Also they've pretty much admitted all the basslines in this album are stolen from the Cure. Fucking talentless hacks.
>>
everyone rips off other people in music
>>
OP are you ok? do u need a hug
>>
>>69394789
Incorrect
>>
>>69394764
well duh, you do realise Julian's dad basically bought their fans?
>>
>>69394848

Who didn't?
>>
>>69394764
Inspired by =\= ripp off

Well crafted music is well crafted music and o would more than say they do their influences justice. Not that you have to like their music, I just think that calling it a bad album is quite the exaggeration.
>>
>>69394764
So black people can get away with """sampling""" but white people can't get away with inspiration from other artists? Fuck off OP.
>>
you are correct the strokes are overrated garbage
they ruined rock music and fed it to a bunch mom jeans Dr. Martens shoes wearing faggots
>>69394906
nope both suck ass
>>
>>69394886
exactly this, except the music is completely uninspired, it's basic pop melodies written "in the style" of their so-called inspirations. Fair enough if you like it but as a whole it is almost completely undeserving of any genuine praise it gets.
>>
>>69394906
Blacks are equal to whites
>>
OP you are a turbo pleb
>>
There is no new sounds to make, everything new is a mix of old stuff with diferent flavors. Dont become a cinical hipster just because you are listening to more music now, its suposed to wide your mind, not narrow it.
>>
>>69394976
>everything new is a mix of old stuff with diferent flavors
thats still new sounds you dumb fuck
>>
>>69394976
>There is no new sounds to make

Your mom makes new sounds every time I fuck her
>>
>>69394939
Frist off thanks for having an actual conversation about it, too many people on mu just disregard others opinions. I can understand why you might feel that way and I can definitely see where you are coming from. That being said this album really shines in its ability to revamp a classic sound by bringing modern production and influence. It totally breathed new life into the genre and did it with a lot of class, style, and skill. It's like a great remake of an old favorite movie you know?
>>
>>69395006
>It totally breathed new life into the genre and did it with a lot of class, style, and skill.
where's this new life besides the strokes
I don't see it
>>
>>69394948
Yeah sure, go outside and say out loud that you are proud to be white and you'll see how "equal" black and white people are nowadays.
>>
>>69395019
Hey different Strokes for different folks, right?
>>
>>69395028
that doesn't answer my question
where is the new life they put into the genre
i want band names
>>
>>69395006
Same goes for you buddy, but I just disagree. It all sounds kind of hollow and lacks the brilliant songwriting and the grainy charm that TVU and Television had, which is an enormous part of their influence. I don't think I'd like heroin half as much if it wasn't for little details like the crackle in the sound when Lou laughs. It's like The Force Awakens Vs A New Hope, for all the formers shiny finish and skilled ensemble, it still feels like a far cry from what made the original so great.
>>
>>69395045
Are you kidding? There's so much garage/post-punk revival between then and now, White Stripes, The Vines, The Hives, Franz Ferdinand, Viet Cong, Arctic Monkeys, The Horrors, Liars to name just a few.
>>
>>69395045
Liars, Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys, White Stripes, Interpol, Bloc Party, The Killers, The libertines, The Hives, LCD Soundsystem, DFA 1979 etc.

Now obviously they didn't inspire all of them, and some of them suck. But to say the the Strokes didn't open the door for these bands to be successful is ignorant. That being said it also doesn't mean the movement was good, just significant.
>>
>>69395088
is this bait?
all of those are average bands
they don't even compare to quality of rock we got from the 60s to 90s
>>
>>69394883
Residents, but other than that you're completely correct anon
>>
>>69394764
Modern rock for the most part is shit. I am constantly hearing shit made in the late 60's and the 70's that sounds league ahead of anything coming out know. A definite digression for sure. But take it as a good thing you've outgrown them now you can enjoy better music and leave the shit behind
>>
>>69395116
No one said they had to be good.
>>
>>69395128
Listen to more music
>>
Rock music died a long time ago, now all that remains is a fractured husk
Same way that hip hop died in the 2000s and all that remains is a WWE-esque reality show about rivalries and "beefs" and men talking about all the women they fuck and the dolla they reap
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.