[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which one's better /mu/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

File: maxresdefault.jpg (234KB, 1309x700px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
234KB, 1309x700px
Which one's better /mu/?
>>
File: heres your (you).jpg (59KB, 500x456px) Image search: [Google]
heres your (you).jpg
59KB, 500x456px
>>69333935
>>
>>69333935
grimes
>>
obv grimes
>>
>>69333935
What kind of question is that? Of course it's Grimes. She's Bach v2.0.
>>
Motzart (underrated)
>>
>>69333982
Nightmusic
>>
>>69333982
(...)
i am still looking for that cameltoe pic. Does anyone have it?
>>
>>69333982
Off the top of my head, the live version of the song Skin:
https://youtu.be/xpupdoI4BPM
>>
>>69334170
Here's something more experimental than any fugue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhNxvoXOKcI

Could Bach do that if he was alive?
>>
>>69334205
>grimesfag is completely clueless about classical music
Really tingles your pringles
>>
Mozart >>>
>>
>>69334032
bumping for cameltoe pic
>>
>>69334264
Also, chopin
>>
>>69334166
>>69334205
lmao
>>
>>69334170
The main theme is a sound sample of the sung phrase "You act like it never happened, but it meant the world to me." Which is then copied, chopped up, reversed, and played back in many different voicings electronically. It is far from your traditional fugue, it is actually remarkably fugue-like. There are probably better examples of fugal form to be had in her studio albums, but I don't have time right now to hunt them down. Although yeah - Nightmusic is a good contender.
>>
>>69333935
colab
>>
File: received_1210876742291766.jpg (35KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
received_1210876742291766.jpg
35KB, 2048x1152px
>>69333935
>>
It's really amazing how in the span of less than half a year, Grimesfags have surpassed Death Gripsfags as the most cancerous fan base on /mu/.
>>
>>69333935
Better at what?
>>
>>69335150
Its impressive since theres less than 10 of them too.
>>
This made me audibly laugh in front of a crowd of other pedestrians as I wasstood stupidly waiting for the crosswalk light. Thanks for that.
>>
File: 0e9.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
0e9.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>>69335150
>implying /mu/ has any value in the first place
It's my pleasure to see the Grimesfans piss off the hordes of dumb /mu/tants. You deserve that for your retarded threads/comments posted all day long. Ironically, /grimes/ is the most interesting place on this stupid meme board. Also the only place where the shitposting/trolling is not tolerated. Deal wit it.
>>
Grimes

Pros: writes good music, is a cute, still alive
Cons:????????, also not my wife

Bach

Pros: ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Cons: dead
>>
>>69336079
Bach did some great music though. Unironically, perhaps the best classical composer. Listen to this catchy Tocatta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o
>>
Grimes
>Is a girl
>Is not fat
>Needs to shave

Bach
>Is fat
>Has a condescending expression
>Has good taste in wigs
>>
>>69336115
>Needs to shave
Not true anymore.
>G: I just started shaving for the first time this year. I am rebelling against my previous body hair, because now people get mad when I shave my legs. So I’m like, “I have the right to shave my legs.” I think people policing my body either way is bizarre.

Update your data.
>>
>>69333935
tьh I liked Verdi far better
But Claire takes a lot from Bach. I mean, she pretty much used the same Adagio as his oh-so-famous Cello Suite 1. I'd say Grimes is the modern Paganini, because Bach was kind of a dork tьh fªm and Grimes is far more badass and flamboyant
>>
grimes
>>
Comparing Grimes with Bach is like comparing strawberries with pineapple. They're both good and impossible to objectively prove it who is better. Maybe Bach composed more complex pieces, but Grimes had other tricks:

>Again - it depends on the style of music. In small-ensemble situations (typified by the jazz and classical chamber groups) sonic interest is principally achieved through variations in scale, chord progression, time signature, and tempo (aspects known as the horizontal axis elements of music in music theory circles - since they're rendered horizontally in standard music notation) rather than through variations in sonic texture and timbre.

>In contrast to this, large ensemble situations (typified by layered/sample based music - ala Grimes - and classical orchestra/organ music) the opposite is true. Sonic interest is primarily achieved through variations of sonic texture and timbre (aspects known as the vertical axis elements of music in music theory - since they're rendered vertically in standard music notation) brought about by combining individual samples/instruments together in constantly changing configurations, while leaving the horizontal axis elements relatively untouched.

>One of the best classical examples of this latter method is Bach's Passacaglia in C Minor (originally written for organ, but transcribed here beautifully imo for full orchestra https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAIT02mB9lo Notice how, despite its extended running time and constantly variating sound, the horizontal axis elements described earlier are very simply defined and NEVER change (the entire song's chord progression consists of the same 4 chords repeated ad nauseum.) This is the sort of context in which the complexity of Grimes' music (especially regarding her earlier stuff) is based; constant, conscious variations in sound quality rather than formal structure.
>>
File: 1480050619325.jpg (46KB, 516x496px) Image search: [Google]
1480050619325.jpg
46KB, 516x496px
>>69336028
>/comp/
>/prod/
>/daily/
> no value
Consider suicide
>>
>>69336301
Yes, no value. Actually I filter them. If they would disappear nothing of value would be lost.
>>
>>69336298
I actually thought she was also more into the late-middle ages structure of chant, with a lot of eastern asian influence.
I mean, not Miserere Mei-levels of influence, but in several of her earlier songs in Halfaxa you can see how she adopts both the standard middle-eastern phonetical chant (as when the muezzin calls to prayer) and the chinese-japanese traditional chord music.
Now I'm not a musician but I can see why she'd adopt all these cultural influences (most of the japanese rules of music writing she uses date back to the Asuka period) but since she was (as she said herself) heavy into K-pop, you can see the threads that connect all these faraway cultures into her music (dating back to the Chinese treasure fleet expeditions)
That's why I loved her early work so much. No one I've heard before incorporates so much history into their music (although perhaps she did so unkowingly)
As I said in a previous thread, I really hope she does the same with pre-colombian mesoamerican music
>>
>>69336361
Yes. Music taste is subjective. Your turn.
>>
>>69336028
go back to your subreddit dumb grimesfaggot
>>
>>69336298
>>69336402
>mfw people actually fucking overanalyzing grimes' music this fucking hard
jesus fucking christ if you idiots spent as much time doing something productive as you do deluding yourselves that her trash fucking music has any merit at all you would have fucking cured cancer

you people are actually fucking vile
>>
>>69336771
Not that anon, but why the fuck did you react like a retarded monkey? Are you allergic to music discussion or do you hate Grimes so much that you need to shit your pants with rage? Take your chill pills, autist.
>>
>>69336812
>it's about influence, speaking of which Bach is light-years ahead of grimes
>implying influence is all that matters when it comes to music
Who was influenced by Bach? Name some artists + sources to prove that. Especially contemporary artists.
>>
>>69336799
Im not allergic to music discussion but im sure as shit fucking allergic to this unleared, overwrought, shit tier, redditprofessor shit these grimesfaggots are constantly posting. Lets go a little more in depth on that first post: blah blah blah the horizontal vs the vertical. First of all, this is some obscure-ass idea of music theory that is at best not particularly well known and at worst literally compeltley made up. I know I personally have never heard of "the vertical aspect" of music refering to "the variation of sonic texture and timbre," and even if it did, its usually annotated vertically in music notation? What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Since when is "sonic texture" ever annotated in music at all? And secondly, this whole notion of "horizontal vs vertical," while it does exist in music theory, this version of it isnt really correct. Horizontal usually just refers to melody while vertical refers to harmony, and that's really it. I havent even ever really heard it used that often. So this notion that there exists some "horizontal ouvre" that encompasses shit like tempo and "variations in scale" (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean) its pretty much just flatly incorrect.

So basically grimesfaggots defend their shit music with these colossal walls of text and then say "haha you cant rebut my points" when people cant be bothered to pour over these retarded encyclopedias they write about grimes but on further inspection these retarded novels are basically fucking gibberish
>>
>>69336944
> I comment on her cultural influences
> I say she uses a lot of choral music
"Top kek what is culture vocals don't exist stop discussing music on /mu/"
t. you
>>
>>69336971
>i literally just post a meaningless word salad of music jargon as proof that grimes is le good
t. you 2016
>>
>>69336997
> music jargon
>>69336402
Citing quote
> Now I'm not a musician
:^) do you even reading m8?
>>
>>69337040
>grimes is good!! She uses NOTES and CHORDS and THEORY SCALES HARMONY. Guess who else used NOTES? MILES DAVIS. BEETHOVEN. K POP. AFRICA. Clearly Grimes is pulling influence from all these artists in her innovative use of NOTES. HATERS BTFO WE DID IT REDDIT.
-grimesfags 2016
>>
>>69337137
> do you even reading
> "Grimes is influenced severily by eastern and medieval music culture"
> *ignores point and says some random bullshit*
Bad trolls/autists 2k16
>>
>>69337215
Listen buddy I BTFO the first post and I'm sure I could find some dumbass shit in your 2nd post but I have shit I'd rather be doing than arguing with your dumb ass sorry

Just at the very least explain to me what "variations in scale" is supposed to mean lol
>>
>>69337246
>bad trolls/autists
>bad autistic trolls
:^) if you're so le btfo-ing hardcore then go ahead and btfo my second post fαm
Btw, not the same anon who posted the post you're refering
>>
>>69337320
>if you're so le btfo-ing hardcore then go ahead and btfo my second post fαm
why, typing all that shit about the first post was draining enough

are you really so helpless that I have to spoonfeed everything to you
>>
>>69337137
Prove it that MILES DAVIS. BEETHOVEN. K POP. AFRICA did better music than Grimes. Objectively.
>>
File: IMG_6366.jpg (76KB, 527x529px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6366.jpg
76KB, 527x529px
>>69337345
>Being this autistic in the current year
I only keep replying to bump the thread fαm
gg no re
>>
>>69337387
>gg no re
???

you really are a virgin neckbeard aren't you
>>
File: IMG_6374.jpg (46KB, 414x355px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6374.jpg
46KB, 414x355px
>>69337420
Only one of those two things is true
I let it to you to assume which :^)
>>
>>69336944
>complains about unleared, overwrought, shit tier, redditprofessor shit
>posts unleared, overwrought, shit tier, redditprofessor shit
Explain this, faggot.
>>
File: supernova_2.jpg (1MB, 1932x1932px) Image search: [Google]
supernova_2.jpg
1MB, 1932x1932px
>>69337246
>I BTFO the first post
Maybe in your dumb mind. Actually you were BTFO like so many other before you. We Grimesfans have a saying: trolls going supernova. You just did it, asshole.
>>
>>69336771
>Calling people out for actually discussing music (in the purest sense) on /mu because: Grimes
Lol. That's all I'm gonna say.
>>
>>69336865
>Who was influenced by Bach?
Anyone who's ever seriously studied a keyboard instrument.
>>
>>69336944
>First of all, this is some obscure-ass idea of music theory that is at best not particularly well known
It's commonly taught in music theory departments at all major Music Conservatories, because it is an extremely useful way of framing things and also makes perfect logical sense. I know because I was taught it at several of them.
>>
>>69336944
>Getting this triggered by other people discussing aspects of music theory that are clearly beyond your comprehension
Lol no wonder /mu has such a generally negative reputation.
>>
>>69337137
Lol I can't even tell if you're trying to actually make fun of other people anymore.
>>
>>69337508
>mango picture
haha owned
>>
>>69333935
you guys are delusional
>>
>>69339234
>one anon posting a b8 thread
>you guys
I'm afraid you're actually delusional.
>>
>>69339366
>>69339234
Actually OP here
>>
>>69334032
Bump for this
>>
>>69333939
that's a (OP) btw
>>
>>69339079
It's an animos you dip
>>69338848
TЬh most of the regular posters here have at least learned a bit of musical knowledge over the years
Newfriends are usually the ones who just pretend to like and understand obscure bands, defending their supremacy over any other artist and vehemently hate anything remotely "mainstream"
In other words, your run of the mill pitchfork-reject hispter
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.