[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heathen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

Thoughts on Heathen? Is it superior to The Next Day?

I'd put it in my top 10 Bowie albums. It feels more personal than The Next Day, despite not being as "raw" as that album I prefer it. Underrated master work not even trolling.
>>
Earthling is better
>>
>>69322543
Outside is waaaaay better tho
>>
I enjoy Heathen quite a bit as well, personally my favorite "recent" Bowie album other than Blackstar
>>
>>69322543
I absolutely love it. One of the best (if not the best) contemporary Bowie has to offer.

It's even in my top 5.
>>
Slow Burn is fucking great
>>
Heathen and Reality are both great and often get overlooked because it was after a run of bad 90s albums that most people lost interest in him by then.
>>
File: fag.jpg (76KB, 970x600px) Image search: [Google]
fag.jpg
76KB, 970x600px
>>69322543
Considering only the non-music parts (the cool artwork/font, the production, the amount of featurings), it points to his most conceptualized release from the 2000's.
And the songs are great & memorable, catchy but with a dark edge too (it was a "followup" to Scary Monsters). Def his best 2000's album.
I can't stand Cactus & I’ve Been Waiting for You tho.
>>
>>69323264
Heathen > The Next Day

Kinda shocked people were cumming over The Next Day, it isn't bad at all. Don't get me wrong I love it but it lacks the introspection found on Heathen. Heathen was more about faith not just in God but in humanity, The Next Day was more about "David Bowie" the celebrity and where he was in life at that time. This is reflected well on the cover art for both albums.

Anyway, Heathen 9/10 Reality 7/10 Reality Tour 9/10 The Next Day 8/10 Black Star 10/10
>>
I'd say it's absolutely superior to The Next Day. It tackles a lot of similar themes but does them better. Good Bowie album, fantastic modern Bowie album.
>>
What's the best live Bowie album? Or should I just stick to his studio works?
>>
>>69325376
Santa Monica '72 is great. I'd avoid David Live, it's really sloppy drunken early versions of Diamond Dogs songs.
>>
>>69325607
Reality Tour is my personal favorite of his life work.
>>
>>69322543
Shake it shake it what's my line?
>>
weirdly, I'm listening to it right now. I just finished sessioning DM Violator and decided I wanted to give Music for the Masses a try so I put Heathen on to kind of keep the vibe going while I looked up and DLd the MftM share.

I'm not gonna lie, I got Heathen because it has two Pixies covers on it (two on one album, really Dave?) OK, "I've Been Waiting for You" is a Neil Young tune but the Pixies cover it and what with Cactus on there it seems obvious. But whatever, it's great. Great album all the way around.
>>
>>69326332
It's an underrated gem for sure.
>>
His best album since scary monsters at the time imo
>>
Heathen is the twenty-second studio album by English musician David Bowie, released on 11 June 2002. It was considered a comeback for him in the US market by becoming his highest charting album (number 14) since Tonight (1984). It also earned strong reviews. The BBC said the album's title track "shows that Bowie could still pen disarmingly direct, affecting pop of a very individual inclination 30-plus years after he started".[14] Worldwide, it sold more than two million copies and experienced a four-month run on the UK charts. Although its production had started before the September 11 attacks in 2001, the album was finished after that date, which resulted in the influencing of its concept.[1][15][16]
>>
File: 1475868795775.jpg (412KB, 2063x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1475868795775.jpg
412KB, 2063x1024px
>>69325607
This is the tip top.

In order, I'd say

>Live Nassau
>Ziggy Stardust: the Motion Picture
>A Reality Tour
>Live Santa Monica '72
>Stage
>David Live

I say this, though: Stage is him at the top of his game, but he's so on and lively in the others that it's harder to compare. Great songs on that one, too, still worth your time if you love him.

Also, David Live is really not so bad as people give it credit for, you just have to give a shit about his music to really enjoy it. It can be pitchy or scratchy or drunk, but it has a great air to it. It really demonstrates his constant need to re-orchestrate the songs every fucking time he does a show, do them different every time. And it's a real great, jazzy, blues-tinged take on his stuff.
>>
Bowie flow charts when?
>>
Heathen is way better than The Next day. In fact I'm comfortable saying the next day is pretty meh.

I think heathen would be better if it lost Everyone Says Hi and 5:15 but it's still solid.
>>
>>69324572
The Next Day's opener/title track is incredible, though.
I do think it would have worked better if it was cut down a bit.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.