[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did they put the two worst songs on the album right next

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

File: MMLonesomeCrowdedWest.jpg (130KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
MMLonesomeCrowdedWest.jpg
130KB, 340x340px
Why did they put the two worst songs on the album right next to each other? At least Cowboy Dan comes right after, which is the best song on the album.
>>
doin the cockroach isn't great but jesus christ was an only child DEFINITELY isn't worse than polar opposites
>>
doin' the cockroach is a top 10 mm song
>>
>>69305303
you can't be serious

polar opposites is one of the best songs brock has ever written
>>
jesus christ was an only child is top 3 on that album though
>>
>>69305303
Uh, those are two of the best songs on the album.
>>
The bottom 3 is Out of Gas, Shit Luck and Long Distance Drunk. You can not dispute this.
>>
>>69305612
I have the exact same three as you, and it amazes me when people have anything else in theirs. Out of Gas isn't even bad, but it's just a lazy rehash of the Heart Cooks Brain riff. What are your top 3?
>>
>>69305612
>>69305659
I'm >>69305303 and yeah those are facts
>>
>>69305612
I liked all of those
I like everything on the album anyway desu
>>
>>69305659
My top 3 is pretty typical but it's Teeth, Cowboy Dan, and Styrofoam Boots. I don't really dislike any of the songs, but those three really aren't up to snuff.
>>
>>69305612
I somehow read "Long Distance Dunk" as "Truckers' Atlas" and got ready for a hot retort

What's wrong with me
>>
Actually Lounge is the worst song on the album
>>
You guys seriously like Trucker Atlas? It's very boring compared to the rest, they made a 2 minute song that was already boring into a 10 minute grind to get to the brilliant last 3 songs.. Polar Opposites is short and poppy, I don't consider it a blight on the album.. Trucker Atlas has like 3 minutes that are redeemable in the middle but overall is a slog unlike the rest of the album.
>>
>>69306098
It's only memorable to me for the insane drumming.
>>
>>69305975
How does it feel knowing your I.Q. score is lower than the score for being legally mentally retarded?
>>
mu's userbase coming together and collectively hating long distance drunk is fucking me up and changing the way I look at the board
>>
>>69306190
You haven't always seen this board as a hivemind?
>>
>>69306149
Yeah, that's what I've felt as well. I have a friend who is obsessed with Modest Mouse in the same way I'm with Joanna Newsom(listen every day, know all lyrics etc) and basically that was his opinion, he felt it was the worst song but that the drumming makes it at least listenable. I tend to trust his opinion on it but it helps that I felt the same way either way.. Not that it's a bad song, just a bit boring and not nearly as catchy as legitimately the entire rest of the album is. I understand though the love of the long songs and it extends the album for a bit longer and gives more content to avid fans. Like I said, big fan of Joanna Newsom and I'd say it's probably a lot like on Milk Eyed Mender, Cassiopeia is slow but I enjoy it just for extending such a unique album. Maybe it's something with debut albums!
>>
>>69306322
In what way is it remotely boring? That ending jam is phenomenal.
>>
>>69306098
it's not for everyone, it's a jam song but that doesn't make it bad
>>
>>69305286

One year
Twenty years
Forty years
Fifty years
Down the road in your life
You'll look in the mirror
And say, "My parents are still alive."

Some of the best lyrics on the album.

Cowboy Dan and Trailer Trash are the best on the album though.
>>
>>69305286
WELL

COWBODY DANS A MAJOR PLAYER IN THE COWBOY SCENE, GOES TO THE RESERVATION DRINKS A CUP OF LEAN
>>
>>69305612
Shit Luck is top 3
>>
>>69306506
I don't play any instruments so maybe I don't fully appreciate the jam at the end.. Just don't think it's as exciting as the rest of the album is, even the second longest song Lounge(Closing Time) seems to have a fast pace and a couple mood shifts..
>>
All the songs on this are good. Why do you have to bicker.
>>
>>69306506
Judy and Green are a criminally underated rhythm duo. Tight af and I've never heard anyone incorporate melody into basslines like Judy did

Him leaving was a massive blow to Modest Mouse
>>
>>69306889
I really don't think is a matter of playing instruments. The next time you listen to it, focus the first little bit on the rhythm section. They lay down a great groove. Isaac builds on that, and most of the changes in tone during the jam come through him trying some different things. The mood of it really conveys driving down a dark, meandering road. Most of it is familiar and almost a bit droning, but there are some little turns and curves you can barely make out in the shitty light that keep your attention.
>>
>>69307215
That's an interesting conceptualization for it, I'll give it a try. I always thought of it as a first time trucker stuck driving in city traffic in the middle of the day trying to get on the road, so he's passing the time by thinking about all the different places he's about to visit. Maybe it's the romanticized concept of exploration I hold though that's made me think of this.. Also why I love Cowboy Dan, just thinking about the line "I didn't move to the city, the city moved to me, and I want out desperately".. Of course that song always makes me think of pre-civil war "Bleeding Kansas" mini-battles between abolitionists and slave owners for whatever reason
>>
>>69306955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uN60jMggaY
>>
>>69306322
so these are joanna newsom fans
>>
BELIVE IN NEITHER BUT FEAR THEM AS WELL
DRUNK ON THE AMTRAK PLEASE SHUT UP
DOGS EAT THEIR OWN SHIT

fuck you that's one of my favorite songs on LCW. LCW is also my favorite album.

Jesus Christ isn't my favorite, but it's not bad at all
>>
>>69306955
well they went south before judy left. iirc he left in like 2010 or so, and we were dead was medicore in 2007. And it had Johnny fucking marr too...
>>
>>69307868
*blushes* s-sorry if it dudn't please u m'lord ^_>^
>>
jesus. i have become angry at my past/highschool love for modest mouse, cause i was drinking a shitload and listening to modest mouse, so i don't really like reliving that and listening to them, in fact i look down on them a bit, but holy fuck how dare any of you mother fuckers. i've been mad at every single declaration of worst track. i even had the phase where i thought trucker's atlas was stupid, but now that i see it get shit on i remember it so fondly.
at least y'all hold cowboy dan in the proper esteem.
>>
>>69307939
Still, you can definitely hear his absence in Strangers. Not a bad album but it's streamlined and lacks any of the distinct grooves of the past

As for We Were Dead, I think Marr was part of the problem. Incredible musician but most of the album was conceived by them just jamming. It's a lazy record and the lyrics show it
>>
Cowboy Dan is great but Trailer Trash is totally the best
>>
>>69308012
heh, nothing personnel..just scram and we're alright kid
>>
>>69307939
>>69308330
we were dead is a better and much more well developed album than good news
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.