[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is classical music actually superior to other forms of music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: pleb.jpg (218KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pleb.jpg
218KB, 1200x1200px
Is classical music actually superior to other forms of music? Is Bach inherently better than Radiohead, King Crimson or Kate Bush?

Discuss.
>>
no one cares who's better shut up
>>
>>69300844
Yes.
>>
>>69300844
shut up cuck
>>
If classical is so great then why doesn't it cure my crippling depression?
>>
obviously
>>
classical is shit
>>
File: muhammed suimez.jpg (28KB, 352x500px) Image search: [Google]
muhammed suimez.jpg
28KB, 352x500px
>>69300844
Yes
Except technical death metal
>>
>>69301180
Baroque was better
>>
Yep. Bach was the pinnacle of music though, of course everyone else is going to pale in comparison. It's not fair to compare them.
>>
That song Birds in My Tree is pretty good tho
>>
File: Kanyewest_collegedropout.jpg (58KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Kanyewest_collegedropout.jpg
58KB, 300x300px
>>69300844
daily reminder this and Late Registration are basically classical music.
>>
>>69300877
>>69300907
>>69301330
itt. retards who don't understand shit about music
>>
>>69301513
>poptimist rage
>>
>>69300844
It really depends on the criteria you use
>>
>>69300844

In terms of technical skill and general innovation, it is superior. But on an emotional level its kinda subjective.

it is true that even the most complex/experimental albums in popular music seem incredibly bland and uninteresting on a compositional level in comparison to great classical works that came out decades or often centuries earlier.

the things that get lauded as "innovative" in popular music are laughable compared to classical music. popular music has always been waaay behind in terms of skill and originality and innovation etc.
>>
File: More Options.png (20KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
More Options.png
20KB, 800x600px
>>69300844
>Is Bach inherently better than Radiohead, King Crimson or Kate Bush?
of course. Bach actually knows what he's doing, and has natural creativity to back it up.

Classical is good because the compoers who write it have the standard creativity of your average pop musician, but then they supplement that with theory, which gives their creativity more options, and helps them think more critically about what they're doing, and how to do it better.

Popular music is stuck with "this part sounds good" whereas for classical thats just one of the many options available.

Radiohead were inspired by Bach-like chorales - last part of paranoid android for example. Its a chorale.

You'll notice popular music never does fugues, firstly because none of them know what a fugue actually is, and if they do, they have no idea how to write one. Bach not only knew how to write a great fugue (no easy task) but he mastered the form and hasn't been topped 300 years later.

None of the popular musicians you mentioned have mastered any forms, and I'd be surprised if anyone remembers them in 50 years, let alone 300. Bach on the other hand will remain the golden standard of common practice composition, whose 4-part harmony will be studied by music students in universities and colleges for hundreds of years more, and whose fugues serve as the prime example for people learning to write them.

Due to being stored in a written score, classical also has much more longevity than popular music. Radiohead et al. just have a recording. once that recording can no longer be played, the music is dead. Scores on the other hand last as long as the medium they're stored on, and can be copied. This is why we still have written music from 500 years ago and it still gets performed today.

No one can play wax cylinders today, the same way no one will be able to play CDs or MP3s or FLAC files in 200 years. Only written scores will last through the rapid changes in technology and preserve the music.
>>
>>69302961
fugues are gay
>>
>>69302961
>>
>>69302961
>No one can play wax cylinders today, the same way no one will be able to play CDs or MP3s or FLAC files in 200 years.

Not necessarily true. I think digital files will be preserved because in a sense they ARE a written score, just one that has to be interpreted by software or hardware; therefor can be converted to whatever the next standard will be without loss of fidelity (compared to recording a phonograph). Only time will tell, though.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.