[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

rick james/ funk thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

i've been coming to /mu/ since 07 and none of you bustas ever told me how legit rick james is. im listening to his first album on spotify now and its fantastic!

anyone else here familiar with his discography or funk in general? sly and the family stone is classic /mu/core and was my first taste of funk. i discovered prince after his death and i've listened to a lot of p-funk after i got through all the prince records i wanted to hear.

if you've been interested in but have never explored the genre i highly recommend it. if you have an interest in jimi hendrix/motown/progressive rock/frank zappa you will love funk. im telling you senpai.
>>
I like funk...
>>
>>69280968
got any favorites? we gotta spread the word, the genre deserves more recognition on /mu/.

i've listened to just about every funkadelic album on spotify and i think this one is my favorite. its such a solid double album.
>>
>>69281034
Unfortunately /mu/ has a weird relationship with funk where the majority seems to despise it. Since the majority of /mu/ instantly sees it as shit (even though they probably know fuck all about it) it doesn't really get a fair chance on here.

But if you really liked Rick James I'd recommend moving onto Prince's early work. I can also recommend Funkadelic, War, George Clinton, Isaac Hayes, Sly and the Family Stone, James Brown, and Bootsy Collins.
>>
>>69281223
Second bit is meant for OP my bad
>>
File: Folder.jpg (205KB, 1425x1425px) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
205KB, 1425x1425px
RIDE ON
I
D
E

O
N
>>
Rick James has done some really nice shit. Street Songs would be among my favorite albums of all time if it weren't for some weaker songs holding it down.

I'd recommend you check out Parliament.
>>
File: IMG_1621.jpg (30KB, 220x217px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1621.jpg
30KB, 220x217px
Listen to the second song. Heard it last night for the first time and was blown away
>>
File: princedm.jpg (66KB, 640x636px) Image search: [Google]
princedm.jpg
66KB, 640x636px
>>69281223
/mu/ has always been full to the brim with avant-teen plebs so im not shocked. after prince died i i got into all of his early work. the only ones i don't have of the early stuff is controversy and purple rain but ill get around to them eventually. dirty mind is a great album and his self titled has some incredible songs on it.

i also really enjoyed 1999, along with the big radio hits it legitimately has some challenging material on that one. international lover is a great closer.

out of what you've listed i haven't really heard much of isaac hayes, james brown or bootsy collins. what would you suggest i check out? once i get through rick james ill definitely be looking for more
>>
File: I'm Rick James, bitch.jpg (281KB, 718x759px) Image search: [Google]
I'm Rick James, bitch.jpg
281KB, 718x759px
>>69280953
you can look after /groove/ threads (or older /funk/ ones) for some recommendations
don't get fixed on the LP format (although hundreds of great ones exist), most of the great stuff came out on 7" and 12"
>>
File: parl.jpg (81KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
parl.jpg
81KB, 500x498px
>>69281308
OP here, this is the only one i've listened to, where should i go next? i might just take this anons recommendation>>69281277
>>
GIVE IT TO ME BABY FUCK YOUR COUCH NIGGA
>>
>>69281384
as for James Brown, these are as far as I'm concerned his essential LPs in chronological order :

I can't stand myself
Live at the Apollo vol. 2
A soulful Christmas
The popcorn
It's a mother
Ain't it funky
Sex machine
Hot pants
Love power peace
Revolution of the mind
There it is
The payback
Hell
Reality
Sex machine today
Everybody doin' the hustle & dead on the Double bump
Get up offa that thing
Bodyheat
Mutha's nature

and The singles vol. 6 to 10

that should keep you busy for some time
>>
>>69281404

im more of an album listener and i gotta admit that i've been really impressed with a lot of these funk records. they're usually totally solid, rarely is there an outright bad song on them and usually a few unforgettable ones.
>>
>>69281509
damn, thanks a lot man. i forget how prolific this dude was.
>>
File: maurice white 2.jpg (87KB, 933x725px) Image search: [Google]
maurice white 2.jpg
87KB, 933x725px
>>69281571
>im more of an album listener

then sorry but you're going to miss a lot of stuff
the thing is that maybe 20% of funk bands made it to the LP. most of them, because of lack of money and exposure, were limited to limited runs of less expensive formats such as the 7"s or 12"s
also, you can very often find 12"s released with albums and offering extended and/or instrumental versions. take a look at America by Prince for exemple, it goes from 4 minutes to over 21 on the extended version. Sexy lady (also by Prince) is also one of the very best funk tracks I know, and, again, only available in extended version on 12"

>>69281613
you's welcome
>>
Three hours of Parliament/Funkadelic

https://youtu.be/ZOvM9LWRmOA
>>
>>69281433
Not him, but definitely Mothership Connection. Bonus, if you like West Coast hip hop, you're in for a treat, the album's been sampled and paid homage to in said hip hop many, many times.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.