[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Synth basics and Synthesizers for a beginner?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: randomsnyth.png (1MB, 1600x818px)
randomsnyth.png
1MB, 1600x818px
I've dabbled in a few instruments over the years, and never really had the patience to learn, or the space and freedom to make noise.

That said, after listening the Wolf Among Us opening on loop for about four hours because it makes me feel, I started looking into Synth. Dark synth that seems close to blues or mood music seems to be my favorite. I've also noticed from listening to various stuff all evening that while there is the rare really good piece, the majority sound like shitty SNES midis.

How would /mu/ recommend I start if I wanted to play and make my own stuff? Looking at them, keyboard Synthesizers seem to be nice in that you can just use them as a keyboard, with extra settings. The ability to plug into my PC and use headphones is a massive draw.

But I could use some advice on what I should be looking for as a first purchase, where to look to find more mellow Synth, and where I can find learning resources. I am literally a helpless babe in the woods here.

>Was the Netflix Daredevil theme likely done on a synthesizer?
>>
File: 1463261382909.jpg (158KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1463261382909.jpg
158KB, 1200x800px
...halp? No one? Bueller?
>>
You might not be able to just plug and play so be careful of that. If you have a not very good pc for example, or don't have a line in.
In that case you'd need an audio interface - this would allow you to connect to your pc via usb but will also greatly enhance the sound quality.
This is because your pc's soundcard is likely cheap and shitty so may struggle to process the sound properly resulting in poor quality.
An audio interface will help in every aspect basically is what I'm trying to say but since you're a beginner you might not really care.
Either way it's hard to say without knowing how much you want to spend. I think the Roland synths are really nice, GAIA and the Juno-G but they are both kinda expensive.
>>
>>69272382

thanks for the warning. My PC isn't bad at all, but actually I'm not sure about the sound side of things. I'll look into it.

Ideally no more than $150/£120. If I don't get along with it, I'd hate to have spent a huge amount on something that will just gather dust.
>>
>>69272443
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/article/5333-beginners-synth-guide-everything-you-need-to-make-a-noise.html
I'd say go ahead and take a look at this article because I don't think I know enough to inform you of the best options.
Good audio interfaces aren't that expensive btw, something like a scarlett 2i2 is pretty damn good for the price so it's something to consider.
All I would say on the synth bizness is don't buy something kind-of-ok to save some money because if you find out that you do like it or have a talent for it, then you're going to want to spend more to get better equipment.
Better to get something that's going to last you a long time for all your different needs or even just look into what you think you want to do/can do with the equipment you'd have and take it from there.
If it's a certain style of music you're looking to create then not not everything will work for that, bare that in mind.
At the end of the day though you're just doing it to have fun so enjoy yourself my man, see you in /prod/ soon enough
>>
Get a cheap digital piano with a usb/midi-out (make sure the usb has midi capabilities too) and a DAW alongside whatever VSTs you want. You're going to have to research those on your own (and it's not hard to figure it out in less than half a shift).

As far as whatever digital pianos, you can usually find a good deal for a 61-key keyboard (with some sensitivity) with a stand and a stool somewhere. Don't fall for the BUY AN 88-KEY WITH WEIGHTED KEYS OR YOU'LL SUCK because you're learning to make music, not play the antiquated piano. But DO make sure it uses midi. Godspeed.
>>
>>69272656

Thanks a lot anon. I'll read the shit out of that once I've gotten some sleep. (And I really should stop looping this Wolf Among Us opening. It can't be healthy.)
>>
If you're willing to spend the money and want something that's simple, portable, and sounds fantastic, look into the OP-1 by Teenage Engineering.
>>
Pick yourself up a minibrute. Good start synth. About 400 USD, analog. From there it's blood, sweat, tears, and knob turning. Only way to go to learn properly.
>>
You don't want that digital sounding shit with screens. Trust me
>>
MIDI USB comparable too. Look into it.
>>
>>I have a $150/120lbs diet pls advice
>spend a ton on this synth!
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.