[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is essentially a musical minstrel show.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: remain in light.jpg (22KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
remain in light.jpg
22KB, 220x220px
This is essentially a musical minstrel show.
>>
what if the squiggly red on their faces was symbolic of blackface

Bravo byrne
>>
>>69259234
No, it's a post-punk album with african influences.
>>
>>69259234
I'm fairly certain this is bait, but whatever.

I hate this idea of 'cultural appropriation' being a thing. Cultures blend, and meld, and new stuff is born, constantly. That's what makes art interesting, if it was all just drawing from the same source it would get bland after a while, but cultures coming together and blending makes so much fantastic and interesting stuff. It's not like white people using african music techniques is spitting on african culture, they were up front about it and listed with the album stuff to read and listen to if you liked it by and about african music/musicians.

Saying that cultural appropriation should be stopped is basically asking for society to be full of sheltered individuals who never experiment or find new things, and that, frankly, is disgusting.
>>
>>69259234
LETTING THE DAYS GO BY
>>
>>69259367
>Saying that cultural appropriation should be stopped is basically asking for society to be full of sheltered individuals who never experiment or find new things, and that, frankly, is disgusting.

You're right but you can't deny that there are loads of instances where people adopt traits of another culture solely for the purpose of mocking. This shouldn't render cultural diffusion as a whole bad but you shouldn't just pretend it doesn't exist.
>>
>>69259449
>You're right but you can't deny that there are loads of instances where people adopt traits of another culture solely for the purpose of mocking.
who cares?
>>
I hope op and everyone who reply to op dies a horrible fucking death
>>
>>69259477
rude
>>
>>69259477
:0
>>
>>69259477

:0
>>
>>69259234
>>69259477

pls make it quick :^)

I think you're just jelly you're not waking up and finding yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
>>
>>69259449
I don't pretend that it doesn't exist, but I also don't think that calling for a complete separation of cultures is the way to go about stopping it. The biggest problem with the current societal view on race (in america at least) is that instead of preaching "we're all people, don't just think 'black person' and just think 'person'," we say that you should always be aware of someones race when talking to them. As a result, race is always on peoples minds, and people think they're mocking/being mocked when they aren't.

Remain in Light especially shows no malice or mockery towards traditional african music, so it's weird that I always hear it bashed for 'appropriating' it, kinda like Graceland.
>>
>>69259449
>ou're right but you can't deny that there are loads of instances where people adopt traits of another culture solely for the purpose of mocking.
what the fuck are you talking about
I cant think of one

white kids for example, pretend to be black because being black is cool
its far from mocking
>>
>>69259608
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT-j1N2iBLQ
>>
>>69259446
WATER FLOWING UNDERGROUND
>>
>>69259234
I know isn't it great?
>>
>>69259627
is this an example of cultural apropiation?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.