[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any drummers on /mu/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 25

File: serveimage.jpg (506KB, 1800x1531px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
506KB, 1800x1531px
any drummers on /mu/?
>>
what's a good guide to drumming?
i've been dicking around for around 3-4 months and it's been a blast but i'd like to get better, for example I know my grip is shit because my hands get so tired but I don't know how to fix that, also is sticks breaking normal? i'm on my fourth or fifth one, and i usually end up having to duct tape all around them so they dont break as fast
>>
do you prefer an electric or acoustic drum kit?

what are your favorite parts to use?

when did you start drumming?

what kind of drum set do you have?
>>
I'm not really a drummer (although I used to own a kit and dabbled) but I just wanted to say I love drummers. When I go to gigs it's the drummer I want to fuck.
>>
>>69244134
i've only been to a few local shows and they've been hardcore but the drums were great they made me wiggle and move around like nothing else, half the time they were all I payed attention to
>>
>>69243639
Breaking sticks is normal if you're playing way too hard or if you're using a shitty brand. If you're playing at a medium volume with Vic Firths then your problem is worth checking out, but if you're beating the shit out of cheap sticks then its expected. Meanwhile stick taping is a good idea, but most drummers who tape sticks use electrical tape instead of duct tape.
>>
>>69244201
i use vic firths, but also, is it normal to have tons of indents in the sticks, that's mostly why I duct tape them, is that it prevents the sticks from having massive gashes and stabs in them from when i hit the hi hat and cymbal
>>
i'm willing to bet i'm the worst, or al least among the worst drummers on /mu/.
i can write good beats, just can't play them.
>>
File: IMG_2320.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2320.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>69244076
I use electronic almost exclusively now a days (I have a gammon kit but I rarely use it).

I bought this a couple of summers ago and it's one of the best pieces of equipment I've ever gotten.
>>
>>69244433
Seeing as I just bought a kit 2 days ago I think you're wrong
>>
>>69244447
what're your main reasons for loving them so much?
>>
>>69244474
what kind of kit did you purchase?
>>69244433
what's making it difficult for you to play them?
>>
So I'm a drummer who loves playing heavier and faster beats but I also want to help out my dj friends. What electric drum set is the cheapest but will put up with my edginess??
>>
reporting

trying to practice jazz stuff early

why is barking hats so hard
>>
>>69244358
That's perfectly normal. Playing any cymbal or rim of any drum over time will put indents in the stick.
>>
>>69244520
an cheap vdrum kit. Roland vk1 I think
>>
>>69244501
Electronic drums or the specific piece?

I mostly love electronic drums mostly because of The variety of drum sounds you could never get on an acoustic kit (spd has over 1000 sounds and 97 pre set kits) and also you can play them at night without disturbing people.

I've been getting really good with it. I asked for the pedals for it as a christmas gift.
>>
>>69244521
are you concerned with sound or just being able to beat your drums against something and having it not break?
>>
>>69244538
>Roland vk1
That's a keyboard...
>>
>>69244076
Acoustic, but electric has its merits, if I could afford it I would have an acoustic with electric pieces like Bill Bruford or Danny Carey

I love my cymbals more than anything

I started around three years ago

Ludwig Centennial Snare, shitty beater Mapex kit, Sabian and Zildjian cymbals
>>
>>69244570
woops i meant TD-1KV im pretty drunk sorry
>>
>>69244076
>electric or acoustic
i have both, honestly ive been using the electric much more often for convenience/noise level. acoustic is more fun though

>favorite parts to use
?

>when did you start
when I was around 13, 24 now.

>what kind of drum set do you have
roland td-25 and a ludwig john bonham replica
>>
>>69243639
buy or download jojo mayers secret weapons for the modern drummer.
>>
File: ZachHill.jpg (106KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
ZachHill.jpg
106KB, 500x333px
if i get in to drums and i just learn how to play fast will i be able to mimic this guys style of playing for hours on end without breaks?
>>
>>69244648
Not easily

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCWiogdCMY0
>>
>>69244648
Believe it or not Zach actually knows rudiments so learn those plus speed and then you can do it. I didn't bother to go further than playing along with songs in my first two years of drumming and now three years in I've cheated myself out of being a much better player
>>
>>69244681
how should i learn the rudiments?
>>
>>69243639
stick control / accents and rebounds
>>69244076
>acoustic
>11" splash on the snare
>at the age of 7
>mapex m, pearl masters mcx and a gretsch catalina jazz
>>
>>69244612
>?
like the snare or hi-hat or cymbal or something
>>
i'm very bad at using the bass pedal, i'm fine at other stuff just not that, how do I go about fixing this so that I can play it at many tempos and with different beats or soemthing for lack of a better description, i walk a little crooked, does that have any effect?
>>
>>69244723
google drum rudiments and then tap them out on your lap while listening to a metronome
>>
Im a student at university and im looking to get in to drumming as i dont have many friends and i have a whole lot of time, i'm thinking of buying a cheap drum kit and renting out a storage space to practice, does this sound like a bad idea?
>>
i think im kinda good i guess but i don't know shit about anything
like my drums' tunings are all fucked up and i'mnot really sure what to do about that also all my shit is cracked but i don't really give a fuck
>>
>>69244861
while that sounds awesome if you're willing to spend the money to get the storage space you might as well just buy an electronic kit and bang on those things, it'll be less disturbing and you wont need to rent it, but if any banging is a problem at all where you are then it'd be best to get the storage space
>>
File: ZachHill#.jpg (136KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ZachHill#.jpg
136KB, 1280x720px
>>69244893

I-is this y-you?
>>
>>69244723
I would recommend Stick Control by George L. Stone, its the drumming bible. Just play those notes on a practice pad, snare, your buddy's head, whatever works really. And again, something I didn't do, use a metronome. A drummer that can't keep time is no good
>>
what's the first song you learned to drum to?
>>
>>69244954

arent electronic drums expensive? if it saves me money i dont mind buying an electronic kit and keeping it in my dorm/flat. how much does a decent electronic kit start at?
>>
>>69244780
Get the book Progressive Steps to Bass Drum Technique for the Modern Drummer. It helps a lot with reading rhythms, limb independence and syncopation
>>
>>69245004
jesus tod
>>
File: 449075000285000-00-500x500.jpg (71KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
449075000285000-00-500x500.jpg
71KB, 500x500px
Reporting in
>pic related is my kit except it's blue
22",16",13",14" snare,
21" bash ride with unlathed bell is the one.
16" dream crash is trashy and decays fast, nice alternative to the usual ringy crash.
14" istanbul hats are lovely and warm and realy sing when played open.
Vater sticks, never let me down, plus Matt McGuire uses them and he's a G.

Try and guess what kind of music I play the most.
>>
>>69245032
they're expensive if you want the module to have tons of funky new sounds but you can use a usb and hook an alright cheap one into a daw and have tons of sounds that way, though i only have one beginner electronic drum kit so someone wiser than me might be able to help
>>
>>69245076
jazz?
>>
>>69245004
the chozo ruins theme from metroid prime
>>
>>69245101
no blues/rock actually. I love jazz but have no training in that style whatsoever, so I'm kind of a rock drummer but I hear the groove in a more jazz-influenced and funky kind of way.
>>
>>69245004
Fluorescent adolescent by Arctic Monkeys, not the easiest of choices but was a lot of fun to try and get my head around.
>>
>>69245132
i figured because the kit looked like a rock kit but i said jazz cause you sure did love talking about those cymbals,

also a general question, are those things called crashes or cymbals or rides or what to describe all kinds of big metal things you hit?
>>
>>69245151
Love of cymbals is universal once you get into circles of any serious drummers, or gear fanatics.

To answer your question, cymbal describes all of the metal things that you hit, a crash is a type of cymbal, as is a ride or a hi-hat.
>>
>>69245151
Ride cymbals are large cymbals (around 20" +) and are intended to played so that the tip of the stick hits the top of the cymbal, creating a steady "ting ting ting" sound. Crash cymbals are medium sized (anywhere from around 14-18") and are intended to be played so that the side of the stick hits the edge of the cymbal. They are used less for grooves and more for accents. They sound like their names. Hi hats are smaller (14" usually) and are the main cymbal used in grooves for rock. They are two cymbals on top of each other than can open and close for accents and different sounds. They usually have a "ts ts ts" sound. There are also other types of cymbals, splash being a very popular one, but these are main three and their purposes
>>
Any marching percussionist here? Where are you from/where have you marched?
>>
>>69245272
thank you based anon for elaborating on my answer >>69245213, I couldn't be bothered to type out all of that.
>>
>>69245213
>>69245272
thank you both
>>
>>69245363
are you? did you drum in band class in school?
>>
>>69245583
>>69245555
Np anons and nice quads
>>
I drum but I cannot because I live in the suburbs where white old people call police over one drum solo
>>
>>69245599
No, I never did concert band or anything. I play snare drum. Or "rudimental drumming" as some call it
>>
>>69245741
i've tried jamming with friends and every neighbor hates us, we've tried sound proofing the rooms and windows but we still get complaints, don't understand why these people can't have some fun
>>
>>69245799
are you interested in marching?
>>
I love jazz drumming, but all the jazz I can find is usually smooth stuff, which is nice, but I can't find any energetic shit

Post jazz albums with fast paced drumming
>>
>>69245821
Well, I'm super into it. I follow and compete in WGI and I love drum corps, hopefully marching this coming season
>>
hi is this the thread for drummers?
>>
File: DSCF3360.jpg (1MB, 2848x2136px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3360.jpg
1MB, 2848x2136px
Its about damn time we had our own thread

Post your drums
>>
>>69244524
why is it hard? just open the hat as you hit it then immediately close it
>>
>>69245885
it is indeed the thread for drummers!
>>
>>69245844
I'll share my all time favorite album with you because I'm drunk and feel nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_xIyBybRFk
>>
>>69245926
i kept seeing guitar and bass generals over and over and decided it to start it up, im very glad it gained traction.
>>
>>69245926
thats a lot of drums
>>
having trouble keeping in time without a metronome. Does it just take lots of practice?
>>
>>69246022
you eventually develop an internal clock with practice yes
>>
>>69245980

I actually have another bass drum and 13" tom and a shitload of cymbals as part of that same kit but this is my moderate build, I've never actually put the entire thing together but I dont think it would fit in the room. I'm thinking of taking the 16" floor tom out and adding it to the other drums not included to make a jazz kit, or could set it up as a jazz "section" of that kit. Saving up for the jazz cymbals but it would be like €1000 and I need a new car first.

Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted a fuckhuge kit.

>>69246022

You wont really ever be playing without something to time yourself with, be it a metronome or a band. I think practicing along with CD's is the best and most fun way as long as you forget about playing the drum track in the song and just try to express yourself while getting the timing down right.
>>
File: keith moon.jpg (47KB, 450x443px) Image search: [Google]
keith moon.jpg
47KB, 450x443px
Who is your favourite drummer?
>>
>>69246346
zach hill and hellhammer
>>
>>69246346
Ringo Starr or Tim "Herb" Alexander
>>
>>69244076

>do you prefer an electric or acoustic drum kit?

I mainly use the electronic kit due to my neighbours butthurt, soon I will be moving out to the countryside and can sell this piece of shit

>what are your favorite parts to use?

Hard to choose, but probably the ride cymbal closely followed by the bass drum

>when did you start drumming?

I was 13 so about 15 years, its been an on and off love affair though due to damn neighbour butthurt

>what kind of drum set do you have?

Pearl session custom, old 90's export too
>>
>>69247244
>neighbour butthurt
half the time i think these people are just jealous because they don't get to rock out like we do ;)
>>
File: kim-jong-il.jpg (19KB, 470x427px) Image search: [Google]
kim-jong-il.jpg
19KB, 470x427px
>>69247274

My neighbours are a million years old and dont like motorhead and the sex pistols I guess

Sometimes I do it just to piss them off and get them to call the cops again
>>
>>69247316
what do the cops even say to you?
my friends neighbours called the cops on his uncle once for playing his stereo a little too loud at 1:30 pm and the officers were confused and just had to tell them that he wasn't doing anything wrong
>>
>>69244076
>do you prefer an electric or acoustic drum kit?
Acoustic, but electric kits are loads of fun and good for night drumming.

>what are your favorite parts to use?
I'd say the whole thing I guess.

>when did you start drumming?
About 11 years ago.

>what kind of drum set do you have?
I have a few but the one I play the most is a 5 piece Tama Swingstar with Avedis Zildjian cymbals.
>>
>>69246346
Matt Cameron and Blake Richardson, but there are so many other greats as well.
>>
Non-drummer here, but do any of you anons know if Whiplash or any of the songs from the movie are actually as difficult as they're shown to be?
>>
>>69247342

They say the neighbours have complained and that they have to follow it up while trying not to laugh. I live right beside the police station so they can hear it all too.

I apologise and say I only practice in the afternoon and am trying not to bother people who might be working at night and such, the cops dont give a shit but the neighbours could reasonably bring a case for noise pollution and harrasment against me if they wanted to.

In about 1 years time I will be moving to the countryside and be able to go absolutely hog wild, it has affected my whole life trajectory but I need the drums to live.
>>
>>69244520
>what's making it difficult for you to play
i can never keep the kick in line for more than a few bars
>>
>>69247435

Thats pretty much the highest level of drumming, but playing until your fingers are bleeding and punching your fist through a drumskin is pure bullshit. The actor can actually play the drums but you only see the camera on him when he is doing the easy parts.
>>
Yea but I can only play basic shit and my fills are pretty boring.

What's the best way to become gud?
>>
>>69247506
practice and ambition, you can do it anon
>>
>>69247466
i have the same issue, maybe try reading the book that an anon suggested to me
>>
>>69247466

This is a physical issue, you just need to exercise your leg muscles to build up the strength and endurance

>>69247506

Its a pretty long road, try to be able to do the things your favourite drummers do. If you put in the effort you can do anything.

I remember trying to copy Dave Ghrols drumming on QOTSA's no one knows and a song for the dead, it took a year or so but I learned a huge amount which I now use every time I play
>>
Yeah I got your drummer right here *rips ass*
>>
>>69247484
yeah this essentially. it's incredibly hard but no one's going to bleed and shit when playing it

that said, i mean it added some cinematic effect
>>
>>69247513
>practice and ambition
Yea this thread got me pretty fucking amped up hope this will be come a regular thread

>>69247626
>Dave Ghrol
>good
just kidding m8 he's pretty gr8
>>
>>69247799

If somebody threw a floor tom at me I'd kick their ass though

great movie
>>
>>69247876
same
>>
so is drum general going to become a thing?
>>
>>69247949

I hope so
>>
File: IMG_0108.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0108.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
How fast can you spin /mu/?

My right hand would prob impress non drummers but look slow to real drummers. My left is shit
>>
>>69243596
Been playing for about 6 weeks now, working on limb independence and shit is hard

Does it eventually become second nature? Like say can you pick up a random drum chart and play complex hi-hat/kick patterns no problem?
>>
File: 1479959562500.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
1479959562500.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>69248004
rotated
>>
>>69248004
I can't. I can roll the stick between my fingers but I can't do the classic twirl at all.
>>
File: jim.jpg (16KB, 435x434px) Image search: [Google]
jim.jpg
16KB, 435x434px
>>69248008

Limb independence is a bit like rewiring your brain, it takes practice and time for the neurons to grow. With a bit of experience your limbs will know exactly what to do.

>>69248004

I cant do it on purpose. >mfw dropping the sticks during a gig
>>
>>69248130
do you drop your sticks often? i drop them constantly while playing and everything gets ruined
>>
>>69248224

Yes I drop my sticks A LOT, it helps to have backup sticks strategically placed. I can keep the beat going with the kick drum and crossing over my other hand until I can get a new stick.
My party trick when jamming or gigging is smoking a cig or drinking a beer without missing a beat, seems to impress people though I cant twirl my sticks!
>>
>>69248109
stick roll between fingers is way cooler than twirling
>>
Been drumming for about five years.
Self taught. So I don't know shit.
I can hold a beat pretty well, and I don't come off as a newbie to other musicians, mostly. I play in my church band sometimes and only have occasional issues.

Pearl export kit. five-piece. I'm poor, so my cymbals are all just shitty pearls except for one crash which is Sabian so that's pretty nice. (Hats, 2x crash, ride.)
>>
File: richard christy.jpg (239KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
richard christy.jpg
239KB, 1252x1252px
>>69246346

Genuinely one of the best drummers ever imo. Sad that he's known more for his radio career.
>>
is it normal for cymbals to be warped from me hitting them too hard?
>>
>>69248004
fucking meme spinning. kys. probably the most cringe thing you can do onstage as a drummer

like this fucking metal memelord:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYQ-nXyfhho

you can tell this is his first time playing jazz. those fucking horrible metal fills
>>
>>69246346
Benny Greb
>>
>>69248905
Cheap one easily get warped I think

>>69248967
Never do it onstage but it's fun to do while shitposting on /mu/
>>
>>69248967
you can tell all the real musicians on stage think he's a fucking jackass
>>
>>69248967
this is so fucking obnoxious
>>
>>69248967
MUST

KILL
>>
>>69245004
never meant
>>
>>69249034
>>69249009
>>69248987
>>69249087
yeah it's basically equivalent to that "THIS DRUMMER IS AT THE WRONG GIG" video from like 2006 but for some reason this has a ton of likes

probably some of the most tasteless drumming i've ever heard
>>
>>69246346
Britt Walford
>>
>>69248905

I have a few cymbals which I have hit so hard across the bell it left the stick mark on them permenantly and it fucked them up.

Its best not to hit cymbals "edge-on", this will warp and crack them in time. If you angle them so you are hitting the stick head on the main body of the cymbal the cymbal will never ever crack or warp.
>>
I fucking hate that whiplash movie

Caravan was such a simple fantastic song even before this album

Fuck that version this one is the shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNoLbP5s-68
>>
>>69249107
yeah but at least the drummer at the wrong gig video is pretty funny, that one is just....bad
>>
>>69248967
I hate prog metal drummers
>>
>>69249215
i hate prog metal
>>
>>69248224
are you gripping the sticks properly? surprised how many experienced drummers don't

I sometimes fuck up when switching cross stick but that's about it
>>
>>69249236
i'm not i don't know how to grip properly
>>
>>69249173
>at least the drummer at the wrong gig video is pretty funny
i mean it's funny because the guy is acting super ridiculous and we can all laugh at him

this one is bad but the drummer is just so pretentious it's like cringeworthy. and he thinks he's so good too

>>69249169
dude honestly the drumming in whiplash isn't bad. yeah it made jazz drumming kind of a meme but who cares? i also don't like how it made jazz drumming into this exact science when really it's a very subjective interactive medium. but then again it made some people who wouldn't have otherwise gotten into jazz appreciate the genre so that's cool
>>
i really hope this threads keep going
>>
>what I use
Yama star works 14" snare, 12", 14", 16" toms, 22" bass
12" pork pie squealer
16" thin, 18" Zidljian Z crashes, A custom hat and ride
>what I play
Melodic hardcore, metal, prog rock

I'm 's glad there's so many drummers here. I've been waiting for a thread like this.

What size of sticks do you metal players use? I found the 5B''s I used to use to be too heavy to play really fast fills
>>
are metal drum sticks a thing so they don't break

i would figure not because those would break things a lot easier
>>
I use Vic Firth 5AN sticks. Maybe I should practice with some smaller ones. They're a big stick.
>>
>>69248967

I dont see whats wrong with this? Outstanding drumming, Albeit not fitting the song but whateve.
>>
>>69249326
4 u
>>
I'm struggling to find good fills to use in songs lately.

My gut tells me my fills need to be more technical but I can't seem to get much more technical than fast rudiments on the toms or throwing in the hi hat every now and then.

Where do you guys get your inspiration?
>>
>>69249337
thats exactly whats wrong with it, its literal wankery except on drums, in jazz. also its pretty standard faggotry metal shit
>>
What cymbals do you guys use? I'm so torn between z customs and a customs.
>>
>>69249337
>Outstanding drumming, Albeit not fitting the song but whateve.
if it doesnt fit the song it's not fantastic drumming.
look at this video, it sums it up pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oQsKRyihEA

jazz drumming is a pretty specific, subtle, and interactive style of drumming. the 16th note metal fills he was playing super loudly and obnoxiously throughout the video did not fit at ALL with the music. it took away from the music
>>
>>69249350
>Where do you guys get your inspiration?
From within.

Seriously though I try to come up with unconventional fills when practicing all the time. If I think of something while I'm playing that I don't think will work, try it anyway and see if it does. Practice is practice and you figure out patterns and things that work through trial and error.
>>
>>69249350

My fills in songs are my pure expression, its how I feel about what the song is trying to convey and has nothing to do with technicality. Technicality gets you in a position to do them, but fills are just pure you.

>>69249379
>>69249393

Well jazz itself is pure wankery.
Yeah I agree the over-reliance on 1970's tom rolls was a bit over the top but he landed them well in the performance, I'd give it 7/10.
>>
>>69249337
It's hardly the worst drumming I've ever heard and it's being overstated how bad it is, but his playing is a little out of place given the nature of the song and the gig. His heavy fills were distracting.
>>
>>69249441
>jazz is pure wankery
wew thats a shit opinion you've got there
>>
File: cruisy kek.jpg (47KB, 419x480px) Image search: [Google]
cruisy kek.jpg
47KB, 419x480px
>>69249343
fuckin knew someone would say that
>>
>>69249250
run the stick along the curved line in your palm between thumb and index finger, then loosely wrap your fingers around it. with a proper grip you should be able to pull the stick out and put it back in again without having to adjust your hand at all

it might feel insecure at first, but the sticks are naturally supported by the rebound off your palms instead of just clenching
>>
>>69249455

I believe that he gave the audience what they were expecting from that song in light of Whiplash.

But you know, my opinion is biased because my favourite drummer is Keith Moon and his overplaying is what made them great. Yeah this guy went overboard but he did it in style, look at how he integrated the splashes.

>>69249459

I'm mainly talking about the other main instruments like guitar and piano, there is nothing worse than bad jazz wankery
>>
>>69249441
>Yeah I agree the over-reliance on 1970's tom rolls was a bit over the top but he landed them well in the performance, I'd give it 7/10.
any jazz musician would not employ this person. it is absolutely tasteless in this context, i'm telling you.

>>69249455
>it's being overstated how bad it is
it isn't. it is horrible in the context. it is as bad as the video referenced in >>69249393 this post. it's as bad as playing metal fills during a beatles song, i guarantee you. look up absolutely any jazz version of caravan and you will understand how different it is
>>
Can drum. Haven't in a few years.

Don't live somewhere I can get away with even an electric kit anymore.

Life goal is to get my own place, detached house, drum room, make as much fucking ruckus as i want.
>>
File: igul.png (1015KB, 599x596px) Image search: [Google]
igul.png
1015KB, 599x596px
>>69245926
mine
sonor select force s-drives
all sabian cymbals
>>
>>69249009
I feel bad for the double bassist. How the fuck is he supposed to work with that
>>
>>69249562
>Yeah this guy went overboard but he did it in style, look at how he integrated the splashes.
basically

>>69249573
It is though. All he needed to do to make it plainly acceptable was to tone it down. Not good, but acceptable.

>it's as bad as playing metal fills during a beatles song
lol not even close
>>
>>69249573

The 1970's tomroll is the last resort of a desperate man, I know this. Fills are the essence of expression on drums and he fucked up badly on that score but yet I'm impressed with how he landed them without missing a beat.

>>69249576

I'm nearly 30 and just about to make this. Been working my way towards it for over a decade and cant even imagine how sweet it will feel to finally achieve it, the ability to do whatever the fuck I want and not have to worry about cunts cramping my style, its the feeling of complete freedom.
Good luck in your endeavors bro.
>>
>>69249634
>lol not even close
do you play in a jazz band? i'm specifically telling you from experience with jazz players and drummers that anything close to this playing is not acceptable, and i can tell you don't listen to much jazz

>lol not even close
it is very close, if not worse. if you went to an actual jazz gig and played like this i guarantee you would be laughed out of the building. please try it so you can find out first hand
>>
sorry for all the crap on them
>Sabien HH 22 inch ride
>Dream bliss hi hat
>yamaha birtch studio
>Ludwig Supraphonic stainless Steel Snare
>>
>>69249721

post a pic nigguh
>>
>>69249688
>I'm impressed with how he landed them without missing a beat.
the thing is, flawless rhythm isn't the most important thing when it comes to jazz
>>
File: 2016-11-23 21.29.51.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-23 21.29.51.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>69249721
forgot pic lol
>>
>>69249606

What happened to that middle cymbal? It looks like somebody was biting chunks out of it.
>>
A lot of you are really pretentious. You're the reason a lot of people respect jazz but not the people who play it
>>
>>69249742
Do you use Lonerism as your snare skin? Does it sound good? Is it okay to have the gummy things out or will they dry up if you keep them out always
>>
>>69249757
its a stacker made of broken cymbals, IDK how a cymbal gets that broken
>>
>>69249757
its a stack i made with a broken zildjian cymbal ive had it for like 3 years lmao
>>
>>69249772
they dont dry, they arent wet at all. The funny thing is that lonerism is pretty much all a supra snare.
>>
>>69249736

this guy is 90% there he just needs to learn some non-shitty fills
>>
is matt garstka good /mu/ ?
>>
>>69249763
who????
>>
>>69249791
>they dont dry
Ah fuck I've been like washing them off and putting them away after I finish playing
>>
>>69249562
Keith Moon played hard but he was still rhythmically solid. Standard phase patterns just heavily accentuated.

Guy in the video is just playing endless fills. Nothing alike.
>>
>>69249702
>my experience is too real for you to understand
That's nice, but like I said he needed to tone it down a bunch but he had basic fundamentals down. I've seen others (also in jazz ensembles) play much worse than that actually so my point stands.

>it is very close, if not worse
It's really not given those two examples. You can at least make out the other musicians in that jazz clip, metal beat to In My Life drowns everything out completely as well as being tasteless.
>>
File: tears.jpg (25KB, 338x277px) Image search: [Google]
tears.jpg
25KB, 338x277px
>>69249780
>>69249774

>I managed to sell my broken cymbals to a guy who was learning drums

never though I'd get rid of that shit
>>
>>69249833

Keith moon was never in time or on the beat but somehow managed to be in tempo and was magnificent for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61foW5x2cmo
>>
>>69249793
>this guy is 90% there
dude he's not even close. can you really not tell the difference between https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkLBSLxo5LE this and that video?

>>69249835
>I've seen others (also in jazz ensembles) play much worse than that actually so my point stands.
yeah, some people play worse so that playing is automatically good!!! good reasoning

>You can at least make out the other musicians in that jazz clip
you barely can. it's horrible.
>>
>>69249807
lol
they do turn a darker blue if you dont have the clear ones but thats it. i use 2 on the snare 1 on hi tom and 2 on the ride
>>
>>69249839
they were mine and then i broke them
>>
>>69249884

Sure bro I agree he has absolutely no taste but that is the only thing holding him back from being a good jazz drummer, the technical skill is all there. If that guy could unfuck his ego he would be great.
>>
>>69249884
>yeah, some people play worse so that playing is automatically good!!! good reasoning
I never once said his drumming was good but nice reading comprehension anyway.
>>
>>69249936
>If that guy could unfuck his ego he would be great.
maybe. but it's also about taste as well. his ego is a giant problem but he also has to acquire an ear for the style of jazz

>>69249946
ok. dumbass comment but whatever
>>
>>69249864
Yeah I used the wrong phrasing there. What I meant was for all his creativity he still fulfilled the basic purpose of a drummer which is to drive the rhythm

Playing alongside the best bassist of all time must have been pretty nice too
>>
Ive been drumming for about 6 or 7 years now. Mostly just rock and metal stuff. But I really want to learn jazz drumming, you guys got any tips?
>>
>>69249999

As has been said, this guy is clearly a metal edgelord and does not know what the fuck he is doing...yet
>>
>>69250006

It took me a long time to figure out what he is doing in the kinda drum solo in this song, before I realised the bad sound quality was making it sound like ass.
This is your jazz guy x 1,000,000,000
>>
File: 20161124_155436.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_155436.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>69250024
This my kit. All pretty basic stuff, its a mapex kit I got second hand for about 600 bucks, I think its like venus series or something like that. All paiste pst5 cymbals, the stack is made of two random cymbals I found in the wardrobe that were probably once on one of my dads kits, I usually have a 19 inch zht china in the set up as well. The snare is a 14×5.5 inch full maple snare by pdp. And I use ddrum dxp double pedals.
>>
>>69250124

Apologies, I mean this video starting at 1:30 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1szv9f_the-who-shout-shimmy_music
>>
>>69250006
Oh to be an educated musician
>>
I wanna start. What set should i get? $700 is max
>>
File: 0527161201.jpg (786KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
0527161201.jpg
786KB, 2048x1350px
Just imagine a floor tom is in the picture
>>
>>69250439
look around online, you can usually find an alright starter kit for not too much.
>>
>>69250439
Add 300 to that pool and get a used professional kit
>>
>>69250024
Check out "The Art of Bop" Drumming" by John Riley.

It covers how to play basic Jazz patterns and fills along with guidelines for practicing and a catalog of recommended albums to listen and learn from.

Besides that, listen to albums featuring drummers like Max Roach, Art Blakey, Roy Haynes, Jimmy Cobb, and Philly Joe Jones. These guys are the bop legends and they're playing is studied by all Jazz drummers.

After you've learned the basics like playing time, trading fours, and learning standards, consider looking for Jazz jams/open mics, or local Jazz shows. Studying and practicing at home is important but listening and seeing live music is where your really experience the music. Learning to play with others is also paramount to becoming a good Jazz musician. A drummers best tool is their ears. So concentrate on what you hear everyone else doing and play WITH the band.
>>
drummer here. posting kit because everyone else is. I constantly switch it around because I have a decent amount of gear but I keep it pretty minimal because it's a huge pain to take a fuckhuge kit with you to play shows

14x8" pearl free floating snare with the head cranked as tight as physically possible
14" ludwig acrylic snare with the bottom rim removed, used as a rack tom
16" ludwig acrylic floor tom
22" ludwig acrylic kick
20" paiste 2000 power ride
two 18" crashes used as hi hats
pile of broken cymbals used as a trash stack
tama single speed cobra 910 (most important part of my kit desu)

i am a disciple of the zach hill/brian chippendale/greg saunier school of "hit the drums as hard as you can, as fast as you can". played jazz drums for years, then I got into hella and realized that this style of drumming is way more fun

playing fast and hitting hard as shit is awesome, but on the downside I go through snare batter heads in about two weeks, and get about two hours of playing out of a pair of sticks. i had to switch to using a heavy ride as my main crash because I break all my crashes because i play the drums like a gorilla. I knocked a hole in a crash once which I did not even know was possible

i do this full time and i practice about 6hrs a day, so the wear and tear is inevitable and a bit more justifiable, but drumming is expensive dudes
>>
>>69243596
I used to browse so much Pearl Drummers forum back in highschool.
I dont play drums anymore i just have some much useless knowledge on them now lol
>>
>>69250929
Ive seen people use 16 inch crashes as a sort of novelty idea, but never heard of using two 18s as main hats. How does it sound?
>>
>>69244076
acoustic all the way
favorite parts to use are the only bits on my kit, 5 cymbals, 2 toms, bass, and snare
started drumming 5 years ago
shit tier DDrum Diabolo kit, (personal) God tier Spaun acrylic vented 5.5x13 snare
>>
>>69251201
loud
>>
>>69251201
honestly sounds pretty kick ass to me
>>
When is it an appropriate time to not rim shot?

I feel like whenever you hit the snare, it would sound so much better as a rim shot
>>
>>69251413
if youre not playing rimshots and youre not a jazz drummer, youre playing wrong.
>>
>>69251413
Backbeat
>>
>>69251465
Really? I feel like that is the most important time to do it.
>>
>>69251443
M8, why not just get better snare wires? I can hit my snare drum and get the fat sound of the drum and a good snare response
>>
>>69251482
sorry i read the question wrong and missed the not part

Time for bed
>>
>>69251498
no, you cant
trust me
>>
>>69251498
gear is not a substitute for technique
>>
>>69246346
hh my man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycftqkw8h8E
>>
File: CAM00516[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px)
CAM00516[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I use a minimal setup. 14inch K Hats, selfmade 8inch Minihats, a 14inch 1968 Ludwig Supraphonic, a Tama Starclassic 22inch Bassdrum is all i use for my band.
>>
>>69249795
yes
>>
>>69250929
Do you find your left foot feels far away or that the hats cover the snare too much cause theyre so big?
>>
>>69246346
Brann Dailor and Bryan Devendorf.
>>
>>69243596
>stand in drummer for over a year at college
>only know how to play 2/4 and tom roll fills
>never once get criticised

I'd like to learn properly one day, but I love that it's an instrument where the very basics are effective for any situation
>>
>>69251932
ayy my man
>>
File: 5b0.jpg (17KB, 392x243px)
5b0.jpg
17KB, 392x243px
>/mu/ has two drummers
>>
>>69253529
>not board has two drummers
came here to post this and tbqh very dissapointed in you.
>>
File: HP900RWN.png (68KB, 681x431px) Image search: [Google]
HP900RWN.png
68KB, 681x431px
Are these dual pedal systems worthwhile? Is this what brutal truth or LDoH's drummer would need?
>>
File: CAM00223.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00223.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>69253405
Soprry for for the late answer. Do you play anything similar? I dont see many drummers playing minimal setups, i love seeing those, just feels good. pic related is another setup i used one year ago. Tama starclassic, 22,12,14, with the Ludwig Snare. K Hats, 20inch K Flat ride, 22inch K Constantinople Medium Ride.
>>
File: CAM00263.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px)
CAM00263.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>69254051
Here is a pic of all my equipment, from last year. Tama Starclassic, 22,10,12,14,16, Sonor Delite 20inch Bassdrum, Snares: Tama STarclassic, Ludwig Supraphonic, Yamaha 3x14inch, Pearl Ian Paice Sig Snare *I dont like it*. Cymbals: Hihats: K Hats 14 inch, Meinl Byzance Thin 14inch, Paiste 20th 16inch, Crash: Istanbul OM 18inch, Meinl Byzance Jazz Extra Thin 18 inch. Rides: K Constantinople 22inch Medium, Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary 20inch, K Flat 20inch.
>>
>>69254098
Wow you've actually got a job
>>
>>69246346
zach hill and bonham, love high energy playing
>>
up
reminder that tmv had top tier drummers
Thread posts: 211
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.