[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Forgive me if these are basic as fuck but I have a couple of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Label-Black-Keys.gif.jpg (19KB, 480x220px) Image search: [Google]
Label-Black-Keys.gif.jpg
19KB, 480x220px
Forgive me if these are basic as fuck but I have a couple of questions regarding, beginning on the piano.

Black keys:
It's dictated by the way you are "playing" the keyboard? This always confused me as a child, but C becomes C# if you are playing 'right' and G becomes Gb if you are playing 'left'? Never understood how a single black key could be 2 notes, but it's dictated by the chord you are playing?

Second - whats the difference between keyboards and the number of keys. I have a 61 key and, I assume it would be the same as learning on an 88 key? It's just if you know what you are doing you can obviously make more with more keys?
>>
C is always C because it isn't black. the black C# could be called a Dq
>>
>>69242907
Also, why is there no E#?
>>
>>69242907
Its the same note, just a different name. The system of keys is to help musicians and to stay consistent they are called different things depending on the key. Its a little convoluted because of the way the system developed, C# and Dd literally used to be different pitches like 500 years ago, and after a series of reforms and additons to the rules of western music we have this system. Its really not complicated. Learning on a different number of keys is exactly the same, just make sure your on middle C
>>
>>69242946
E# is the same pitch as F
>>
>>69242946
>>69243024
Indeed. There's an E# in the F# major scale
>>
>whats the difference between keyboards and the number of keys
Nothing necessarily, just one keyboard gives you more notes than the other. And like the other anons said, some pitches are relative depending on what key you're in. But whites are always major notes while blacks are always sharps/flats. For instance in the key of C your root note is a white C, but in the key of C# the root is a black C#.
>>
>>69243107
>but whites are always major notes
wrong
see
>>69243024
>>
One key (black or white) is always the same note. On your picture there's no interrogation, one key = one note. Some just have two names (Eb and D#).
There are 12 notes, separated by one semi-tone each (12 notes between C and C on your piano). On a guitar, one note = one fret. Easy.
The piano is built around C major scale. White keys = 8 notes between C and C (C D E F G A B), separated each by one tone except for E-F and B-C, one semi-tone . The black keys are filling the gaps between all those notes : each time we jumped one note between two white keys, we have one black key being the semi-tone between them. Nothing to really understand, you just have to know the name of the notes by heart.

D# is D# AND Eb at the same time : it's D+1 semi-tone AND E-1 semi-tone, so D# and Eb. It's the same note (sound is the same) but has two names. But people say Eb.

The number of keys is just improving your possibilities if you want to play some things. 61 keys is clearly OK to learn, don't worry.
>>
>>69242907
The black keys are your main notes depending on what scale you're playing in and/or what notes have accidentals. For example, in an Eb major scale the second black key after C will be your tonic at Eb, meaning you skip the E natural there and continue onto F. Same thing with Ab and Bb. Whereas C# is used when you skip in a sharp scale, such as D major, while it would be Db in a flat scale such as Ab major since you'll still have C natural. Going back to Eb, you would read it as D# if you were playing in a key that had that note and skip the D natural, still playing E natural there.

You can even have E# in an F# major scale, making it the leading tone. An accidental simple moves the note up or down a semitone depending on which note it's put on. This is also how double sharp or double flat notes work, except they move the note a whole step and are usually used in minor works that have a lot of accidentals.

As far as number of keys goes, an 88 note keyboard is the standard piano size. If you have a smaller keyboard you won't be able to play certain passages that utilize notes outside of your range if you have a smaller keyboard. If you're just learning it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but sufficiently advanced pieces will utilize the whole range.
>>
Hey guys, OP here been scanning the thread while I practice Silent Night, are there any good website/books/tutorials/techniques you guys know where I can learn proper fingering?

Thanks a lot for all your answers too by the way, been helping to clear a lot of the confusion up I had when I was a kid.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.