[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How old is too old when learning an instrument?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: 29f.png (66KB, 573x393px) Image search: [Google]
29f.png
66KB, 573x393px
How old is too old when learning an instrument?
>>
File: Pepe67.jpg (11KB, 322x245px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe67.jpg
11KB, 322x245px
>>
If you're still alive, you're not too old
>>
Never if you want to be a mediocre player.
>>
there isn't an age limit, i dont get why youd think there would be
>>
if you're over the age of 7 theres no point

you will never be talented
>>
You can always pick something up, but just like learning pretty much everything, it's a lot easier if you start in grade school.

Sufjan Stevens didn't pick up guitar until college, though he played instruments in high school band.
>>
>>69209855
Ouch
>>
>>69209797
If you're not already playing an instrument don't bother trying
>>
>>69209866
it's harder to learn things when you get older
you can learn things when you're older, but it's harder
Learning things when gets more difficult if you age
>>
>>69209797
For you? Never had a chance since you're asking stupid questions on /mu/ instead of trying to play a fucking instrument. There's a reason they sell shit instruments for cheap; so faggots like you can buy them and try to learn to play. Go buy a shit Casio or Ebay guitar or whatever instrument you want to learn and start leaning, faggot. Never too old

dumb frogposter
>>
>>69209855
This. 40 years old and I've thought about learning the guitar, but realize that by the age of 60, I'll still be learning and maybe doing some AC/DC covers.
>>
How old is too old to start on the path of becoming a career musician if you have zero music background?
>>
>>69210193
>>
>>69210165
That's absolute bullshit. With 20 years of playing you can play a lot more than ac/dc covers. Just pick up a guitar and play some absolute shit. Quit making completely unrealistic excuses.
>>
File: ford2.jpg (138KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
ford2.jpg
138KB, 600x400px
See this crazy old sumbitch? That's T-Model Ford. He didn't start learning guitar until he was in his 50s and got discovered as a blues artist in his 70s. Now his style is really rough and primitive and he was by no means a virtuoso, but he was still able to pick up the instrument and get something out of it at a pretty advanced age.

I just started trying to learn guitar more seriously at the age of 30 and guys like this are an inspiration.
>>
>le ageism meme

You think you'll do something great that will make you believe you'll leave this place lmao
>>
>>69210306
agreed
I'm 30 and started at 10. I didn't even play regularly (which I regret). I'm an advanced player, not a virtuoso by any means, but you'll make better progress in your first five years than I did between 10-15 because of your age. And if you stick with it solid you can be great in five years. I've seen people in five years become better guitarists than I'll ever be because they simply practiced regularly.
>>
>>69210487
>And if you stick with it solid you can be great in five years. I've seen people in five years become better guitarists than I'll ever be because they simply practiced regularly.
This this this this this.

I'm 35, been playing over 20 years. The amount of times I've seen some fucker pick up the guitar and blow me away within a year is hilarious. I'm not that bad a player either.
>>
I've been able to play Rhythm and chords for a long time, but never really got fast enough to solo. Does that count as playing?
>>
File: scenery.jpg (223KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
scenery.jpg
223KB, 1024x1024px
>>69209797
ryu fukui released this within a few years of learning piano which he learned after he turned 18. The only time age should stop you from playing is if it physically stops you from being able to.
>>
File: disdain.jpg (7KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
disdain.jpg
7KB, 209x241px
>>69210653
>he thinks speed is what makes a good solo
>>
I honestly think the biggest reason adults advance much slower than children at instruments is because children have literally nothing better to do so it's easier to be consistent (especially if their parents make them practice)

If you practiced any instrument 30 minutes a day, every day for 5 years, you'd be pretty damn good. But no busy adult has the discipline to put that effort into a hobby
>>
>>69210165
People with less than 3 years of playing can get to play stuff like AC/DC with enough practice, get to work.
>>
>>69210653
Dude forget trying to go fast. If you want to solo, transcribe your favorite soloists. Pick out cool 1-2 bar phrases from each solo you transcribe and practice them in every key. Gradually your own original ideas will begin to spring out of those.

Practicing the important scales of whatever genre you play is also essential.
>>
What instrument do you guys honestly recommend? I've played guitar (briefly) and violin for 3 years myself. Violin is fun.

I've recently started to love the sound of horns so I might pick up the trumpet soon
>>
Play an instrument is also about getting better and enjoying the mere fact that you progress bit by bit, it's great because you just keep getting better and learning more shit. Playing an instrument is great when you can impress someone, but just as much for the personal pleasure of watching yourself improve over time. I started at 19 and I'm only 21 and looking into people to start a band right now. Does playing music overall make life more exciting sometimes frustrating? Sure, but not by much and it is much more overshadowed by how much better my life is playing music. Life's short go fucking try and make something
>>
Is 16 too old? Are there any notable musicians that have received acclaim that started at that age or more?
>>
>>69211091
Keith Richards pretty much got started when he was in college if I'm remembering correctly. No way is 16 too old. That's actually the perfect age if you ask me.
>>
Wes Montgomery started at 20 and is considered to be one of the pinnacles of jazz guitar technique.
>>
Is it possible at the age of 35 and self teach?
>>
I started playing drums at 15, is that too old?
>>
>>69211091
reported
>>
>>69211576
way too old dude. you'll never be anything. always be a washed up hack because it takes about 30 years to play an instrument correctly. you'll be 45 by the time you can join a professional band but by then you'll be too old ugly and uncool. sorry kid 10 years to late
>>
>>69209853

>>69210193
>>69210165
>>69210868
>>69211091
>>69211297
>>69211576
DONT LET YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS

Seriously guys. I started playing piano in 2nd grade, then played trumpet from grades 4-12. I also picked up guitar in high school and taught myself drums. Being a musician is hard to describe. There's certain things you have to learn, but there are also some intuitions that some people have towards music, like perfect pitch or near perfect pitch. Musical talent is also linked to being skilled at math. All it comes down to though is practicing, and learning how to read music, no matter what instrument you decide to play. Then keep practicing. For at least an hour a day. Good luck bros
>>
Is it possible at 102 years old? Asking for my gran gran
>>
>>69211902
You're never too old to blow a jug.
>>
I wouldnt think its too old to ever start playing, even if you actually wanted to start gigging.

I started at 18, at the time I thought that was too old to start.

Im so fucking glad I ignored my autism for once in my life, seriously, its been about 5 years now, im a pretty good player, and I actually have something to live for now.
>>
I'm 18 and bought my first guitar a few days ago. Still pretty bad but I make progress every day. It's so much fun playing music I don't even care if I won't be as good as if I started in middle school or whatever.
>>
>>69209797
too old is when your body has deteriorated to the point of being incapable to play an instrument. so if you're like me, that age will be around 18
>>
Well, the brain kind of loses its malleability and adaptivity at around 25, so you're pretty good until then. It's best to start very young because you'll have more time to practice by then, but 25 is the cutoff age where trying isn't really even worth it. If you're past that age, you might be able to learn to play something simple (think 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star") but that's about it, really.

So 25.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.