[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Screaming/harsh vocals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: phillybo.jpg (80KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
phillybo.jpg
80KB, 500x333px
So I'm trying to learn how to scream, any advice so I don't fuck up my voice?
I'm just kind of experimenting not really knowing what I'm doing.
>>
who cares if you fuck up your voice? not like you're gonna be a voice model.
>>
>>69207721
Just don't want to end up like Matt Sander (A7X) or Oli Sykes (BMTH) who fucked it to the point where they can't do it any more.
>>
>>69208095
That guy from Godsmack sounds like shit in interviews now. Learn to scream like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgRLLqYQh1Q
>>
>>69207721
Drink milk. I've screamed for several metal bands. Drink milk before practice.
>>
Yeah don't end up like Phil Anselmo.
>>
>>69208155
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpKxtTPQ1Q8
>>
>>69208198
Just finished a glass.
A mate reckons singing (cleans) before/after is a good, what's your opinion on that?
Also is cold or room temp water better to drink when practicing?
>>
Isnt this how skrillex was born?
>>
>>69208298
This is my end game goal

>>69208155
This however sounds really difficult to imitate
>>
don't be a dipshit and sing from your throat, sing from your core
>>
>>69208347
*Don't sing from your throat
>>
>>69208347
>>69208372
I got what you meant mate
How do you know when you're singing from your throat or from your core?
>>
>>69208555
singing from your throat is higher pitched and puts a lot of stain on your throat

core is more from your bowels so to say and is more guttural
>>
There was a time that i could scream those high notes, but now I can only do that around the e4-f#4 range without fucking up, g4 and up is only mixed. The obvious tip is simply not doing it, only some people are capable of doing it right without some serious shit like vocal nodules(that I already had).
>>
Drink lots of hard alcohol and your throat will naturally sound harsh.
>>
Dio was always a chestal singer and that's why his voice aged really well. Screamers usually go to shit with age.
>>
>>69209920
Sing from the diaphragm.
>>
>>69209920
Unless they're a genetic freak like Steven Tyler.
>>
>>69208555
>>69210152
>>69209920
this OP; singing from the throat is what fucks it up.
>>
>>69209920
Counter-example: Ian Anderson had completely trashed his voice by the Reagan years
>>
how do you do atmospheric black metal vocals
>>
>>69210211
it's more of a shriek, still the same idea though, don't do it from the throat. Also the lo-fi is what really makes it. You want your vocals behind the instruments
>>
>>69210211
scream hard from your throat
>>
>>69210211
scream so far forwards in your mouth almost to the point of whispering
>>
>>69208305
Harsh vocals are like any other vocal style. Warming up your voice helps. Don't drink cold beverages, stay hydrated etc.
>>
Is there any dadrocker who's fucked his voice worse than Paul Stanley? You don't want to see footage of recent Kiss concerts, you really don't.
>>
>>69207721
The way that's easiest to comprehend is; clear your throat.

Now clear your throat, hold that sound and project that noise.
Project from your diaphragm, not your throat.
Pitch can be altered by shifting your tongue and lips.
DO NOT project with your throat. This is the most important part if you don't want to rip your vocal chords apart.

Now you know how to do false chord vocals.
>>
>>69210383
>DO NOT project with your throat. This is the most important part if you don't want to rip your vocal chords apart.

Great. Now get a time machine back to 1971 and tell Robert Plant to not do that.
>>
>>69210451
his voice'll be fine
>>
IDK, Frank Sinatra didn't sing from the throat and he sounded pretty bad in his later years.
>>
>>69210561
we say sing but we mean scream/growl
>>
File: tumblr_nlfbmnCG9U1uqb95ao1_500.jpg (45KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nlfbmnCG9U1uqb95ao1_500.jpg
45KB, 500x333px
>>69208298
>2012

TIME KEEPS ON SLIPPIN INTO THE FUTURE
>>
>>69210451
I know you're meme'ing but I should probably make it clear that your voice will without a doubt get fucked if you pursue vocals (given it will take a relatively long time). Projecting from your throat just accelerates that process.
>>
>>69210383
Thanks man, I found that really easy to follow
>>
>>69210630
Elvis was in his best state when he died, he even reached some tenor c5
>>
>>69210985
He died at 42. If he'd lived to 60+, his voice probably would have been...yeah.
>>
>tried to learn how to do lows after listening to a lot of Opeth
>see tutorials focusing on using the diaphragm
>tfw too retarded to figure out how to do it properly
>>
>>69211237
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEm500j9hb4

Up until about 7:00 this guy talks a lot about diaphragm and shit
>>
>>69211414
That definitely had a better explanation of how the diaphragm works into it than the videos I've found.

Granted, it was half a decade ago that I last checked. My interests for my own creation moved on a while ago and the search ended accordingly, but this is much appreciated. Gonna bookmark it...y'know, just in case.
>>
Sing from your core and don't smoke or drink.
>>
File: MCRide2.jpg (55KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
MCRide2.jpg
55KB, 500x281px
>>69207721
Listen to a FUCK LOAD of Death Grips
Probably won't do anything for your vocals but still.... HOLY FUCK
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.