[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me turns 10 years old

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (156KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
156KB, 640x640px
Ten years ago today, Long Island rock outfit Brand New released their third studio album, The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me. Their seminal work, the album is a bleak fifty-five minutes of post-hardcore-infused indie rock, drawing influence from Jawbreaker and Sunny Day Real Estate, as well as The Beach Boys, The Smiths, and Neutral Milk Hotel, whose 1998 work In the Aeroplane over the Sea is cited by Brand New frontman Jesse Lacey as "the most beautiful album ever written". Following up Déjà Entendu, an album with a more conventional alt rock sound than the band's early pop punk work, The Devil and God took a darker turn. The punchy guitar leads and braggadocios lines were replaced by subdued guitars, swinging dynamics, and brooding lyrics, creating an almost menacing atmosphere for the album's runtime. After romanticizing self-deprecation for years, Brand New spun the concept into blunt and brutally honest terms. Touching on everything from failed relationships with friends and family to insecurities about death and religion, The Devil and God represented the maturity of the five bandmates. The album was released to relative acclaim and cult status, and most still see it as their magnum opus a decade later.

Ten years have gone by, /mu/. What do you think of it?
>>
>>69195118
Two years ago this thread would have been flooded with responses. I'm kind of sad to see the neglect this album is receiving now.
>>
>>69195118
it's still good. One of my favorite of 2006, though that was a slow year.

Not the Sun and Degausser are the best songs.
>>
Never heard a single Brand New song until I saw them live in Miami in July. They were pretty good but I haven't followed up. Should I just listen to this album?
>>
>>69195118
DUDE IM GETTING OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL WHERE THE DID TIME GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

still an 8/10 but i'm no longer in the mindset where I wanna listen to it anymore
>>
Jesus Christ, what a shitty thread. The kind you’d find on reddit, someone that should sage.
>>
>>69195919
>Degausser
this and Screaming Females' Hopeless carry me trough breakups.
>>
Will always be one of my favorite albums.
>>
Great album. Saw them live this summer in Massachusetts with Modest Mouse it was sweet.
Way better than Modest Mouse was live.
>>
>>69195956
yes
>>
>>69195956
yes
>>
>>69195956

i do not believe you will be disappointed
>>
It took me years to realise I real don't like brand new that much. I just really fucking love The devil and god, it is really an outstanding record. The rest of the discography is not even remotely in the same league.
>>
>>69195118
10/10
>>
>>69195118
It's that 10/10 you don't listen to anymore for me
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.