[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened in 2010?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: kanye-eminem_320.jpg (30KB, 612x380px) Image search: [Google]
kanye-eminem_320.jpg
30KB, 612x380px
There was a point where I didn't like a single rap song before 2010. Now I can understand the merits of earlier music, but I still like post-2010 more. There was definitely a fundamental shift in 2010, and I can't put my finger on it. What was it? Was it these guys? MBDTF is so dramatically different from anything before then. Help me out /mu/.
>>
>implying Eminem has released a good album in the last 6 years
>>
holy shit you are such a fucking pleb
>>
>>69183322
>implying Eminem has released a good album
>>
>>69183352
>implying Eminem has released an album
>>
File: IMG_5367.jpg (77KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5367.jpg
77KB, 500x375px
Kendrick released Overly Dedicated and Kanye released MBDTF but other than that it wasn't too great. Hip hop has been in phases of rising and falling after the Golden Age but I think has generally been in decline overall. Once gangsta rap took over, hip hop was destined for failure.

Member Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy and all those guys?
>>
After a quick google search, 2010 was marked with MBDTF as the most "modern" of the albums, Kanye really pulled ahead. Obviously there is a lot of subjectivity but once the new-school was known that's what everyone decided to hunt for. Wiz Khalfia, Kendrick, Mac Miller, A$AP rocky all dropped music with this new beat, one that was heavily influenced by MBDTF's unique beats.
>>
>>69183322
>Implying any of Eminem's albums are bad other than Encore
>>
Eminem is decent, but has NO right to even be pictured next to Lord Kanye.
>>
>>69182313
What happened was the influence of the 808s/Comeback Season/Man on the Moon brand of hip-hop took over and people wanted crisp drums with murky basslines and atmospheric synths, which paved the way for modern trap to take over
>>
>>69182313
mbdtf and good kid maad city beats are very very dense and musical such that the lyrics aren't really necessary to enjoy them... that's why i think i like them
>>
>>69184093
>implying Encore isn't Eminem's only good album
>>
>>69182313
Top 40 radio stopped playing hip-hop. That's all there is to it. Am I really surrounded by a bunch of faggots who are too young to remember hit radio from the mid-'00s and note the drastic change after 2010?

Tik Tok almost single-handedly killed '00s urban, such as Kanye, T-Pain, Chris Brown, the Black Eyed Peas, etc. by making ushering in EDM to the radio. It wasn't the Hot 100 AND AT40 year-end number one for no reason. It made the lyrics and rhythm irrelevant and proved you only needed a hard electro beat and autotune to drive a track. Taio Cruz assisted with Dynamite, which laid the foundation for the conventional pop of the '10s.

2011 saw Party Rock Anthem, Like a G6, Give Me Everything, E.T, and We Found Love hit number one on the Hot 100. Kesha, Pitbull, LMFAO, and the like became more profitable than artists like Soulja Boy and J-Kwon. Mid-'00s stalwarts like Rihanna and Maroon 5 drastically changed their sound to adapt to the new era of pop. Finally, whatever "alternative" music that made the radio before, like Owl City and Plain White T's, were replaced by the sound Adele installed with Rolling in the Deep, Someone Like You, and the rest of 21.

Yeah, Kanye, Cudi, and Drake had some influence on this (and of course Kanye and Drake still got played), but after Niggas in Paris no rap song has been played as consistently on the radio since. Since rap stopped being played on the radio, it was allowed to become more upfront and vulgar with its lyrics and less friendly to white middle class ears.
>>
>>69184684
and what makes gkmc so good is that it's still one of the best written rap albums ever
>>
>>69184884
Holy shit
>>
>>69184093
>>69184826
implying Eminem has ever released a worthwhile project
>>
>>69183438
>Kendrick released Overly Dedicated and Kanye released MBDTF but other than that it wasn't too great.
sure if you're a sheltered rockist
>>
>>69184884
You listen to the wrong radio stations if you don't hear constant shitty trap music played on top 40 stations
>>
>>69185184
So The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mathers LP, and the Eminem Show are bad?
>>
>>69184884
Adding onto this, Kanye's influence on '10s music isn't from MBDTF, or even 808s; it's from Stronger. Stronger changed the way urban artists made their music and opened the door for Pitbull and the Black Eyed Peas to take an EDM-tinged direction.

Then in late 2009, Kanye interrupts Taylor Swift and Chris Brown beats Rihanna. The two biggest male urban artists become vilified by Middle America and they can't be played on the radio. Then Rihanna changes her sound and Beyoncé takes a hiatus, and EDM and pseudo-indie takes over the airwaves. A good, wholesome artist needs to hit the scene, and who else to fill those shoes than One Direction, who create a market for inoffensive, vanilla lyricism. Hip-hop became intolerable for white Americans, who decided there was better music for their kids to listen to.
>>
>>69185204
He's right about the old style of rap dropping off the face of the radio at that point in time
>>
>>69182313
i think it was more like 2011. Danny brown, asap rocky, big krit, death grips, kendrick, lil b, and odd future blew up which kind of closed the huge divide between the mainstream and underground of rap, which had been super separate ever since mainstream rap turned more commercial with puff daddy and underground got more abstract with def jux in the late 90s.
>>
File: thought.jpg (6KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
thought.jpg
6KB, 300x225px
>>69184884
>Tik Tok almost single-handedly killed '00s urban
>>
>>69188158
I stand by my opinion
>>
>>69184884
this is a good take
>>
>>69182313
Pitchfork started paying attention to the genre
>>
>>69183352
>Hasn't listened to "Infinite"
What a pleb.
>>
>>69184884
this post is way too coherent and interesting to be on /mu/ desu
>>
File: 1448989140185.jpg (160KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1448989140185.jpg
160KB, 1600x1600px
Not even memeing but did MBDTF have a huge impact on the overall sound of the majority of hip hop made in the past ~6 years?
>>
>>69190984
Not really, or I just haven't noticed it
>>
File: 1454668404118.jpg (80KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1454668404118.jpg
80KB, 1000x1000px
This album is what happened.

Of course, there were other albums that contributed to the change, but it's MBDTF that had the biggest impact in the shift of hip-hop/rap.

Gangster rap, which was still extremely prominent in the 00s thanks to artists like Soulja Boy, Lil Wayne, and 50 Cent, had died down significantly and MBDTF brought on a new sound that is still present to this day and will continue on for the rest of the decade and possibly beyond.

And right after MBDTF came artists like Kendrick Lamar with Section .80 and GKMC, Danny Brown with XXX, Drake with Take Care, and the members of Odd Future with their various works. And from them and their influence come the new generation of hip-hop/rap artists that we've got today like Anderson .Paak, Desiigner, Travis Scott, Denzel Curry, etc.
>>
>>69191806
>>69190984
MBDTF was possibly influential in showing artists what a significant hip hop album can aspire to be in the 2010's - but musically, it's more about people digesting 808s (and Graduation), and what it really is about is a generation of off beat, underground hip hop listening generation coming to shape as artists.
>>
>>69183438
>implying that this year alone hasnt been hip hops first golden year in the past 15 years

Dude. Wake up. So many amazing hiphop/rap albums dropped this year, so much that it is actually hard to slog through it if you saved them in a backlog.
>>
>>69191806
lmao when was lil wayne and soulja boy gangsta rappers?
>>
>>69191806
All your opinions are just meme rap bullshit, shut the fuck up, man
>>
>>69184884
sheesh
>>
>>69182313
Former indie rock critics started telling you to listen to hip hop.

Every other answer posted ITT is wrong.
>>
File: 317x317_soulja_boy_400x400.jpg (38KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
317x317_soulja_boy_400x400.jpg
38KB, 400x400px
>>69192013
Is this a joke?

Also, "Tha Block Is Hot", "Tha Carter", and "Like Father, Like Son", are gangsta rap albums.
>>
>>69184884
That's a lot of text but your premise is still wrong. Hip hop gets tons of radio play.
>>
>>69192025
What a wonderfully thought out contribution to the topic.
>>
>>69192108
>Hip-hop gets tons of radio play.

Yeah but it's not nearly as influential as it used to be. Remember the early to mid 2000s? That's when rap was heavily embedded into AT40 with rap verses or hooks in pop songs. Now look at today: rap isn't nearly as prevalent in pop. Top songs are created and/or influenced by EDM artists.
>>
>>69184884
This exactly

I remember when this happened. There was a lull in popular music's identity as the bling rap phase started to get tired while electronically based dance pop (Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, etc) came in more and more until radio finally found a completely clean recipe for their playlists (meaning they could finally not use the sometimes alienating hip hop singles for airplay).

Man, Tik Tok was a fucking juggernaut. I honestly don't know of a song since then that absolutely bull-rushed radio the way it did. Man it was so popular that it was being played on Top 40 stations AND stations that usually wait for songs to leave the top 40 and enter momcore stations
>>
it happened in like '07 with lil waynes mixtapes, then '09 when odd future, waka flocka, and skrillex all hit at the sametime,

we've pretty much been on those exact same sounds for the past 10 years now, just trap beats, nu-jazzy sounding rap shit, and skrillex edm.
>>
>>69192108
I'm mainly talking about why radio rap changed from conventional commercial rap to trap
>>
>>69184884
why are you writing on /mu/ and not on p4k? they need more thought-through opinions
>>
>>69184093
>implying Relapse isn't also bad
>>
File: IMG_1998.jpg (43KB, 564x549px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1998.jpg
43KB, 564x549px
The only shift I noticed was from dirty south baggies clothes rap to this "modern" style of rap where they actually wear clothes that fit
>>
>>69192004
85%+ of all hyped up rap releases fell flat on their faces. 2016 is one of the most disappointing years for hip hop ever
>>
>>69195180
(not true, by the way)
>>
>>69184884
Hotter than any of Hot Opinion's opinions
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.