[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did prog rock die?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: V9U8PSwj.jpg (42KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
V9U8PSwj.jpg
42KB, 512x512px
When did prog rock die?
>>
When it turned to shit, which is to say, since the beginning
>>
>>69163867
When satanists took over the music industry
>>
File: anco.jpg (25KB, 423x317px) Image search: [Google]
anco.jpg
25KB, 423x317px
>>69163867
here
>>
>>69163913
>satanists

jews
>>
>>69163867
As a significant movement/scene? 1974, after Red

There has been a lot of good prog since then, however
>>
El Doom & The Born Electric are pretty fucking great but I wish they'd hurry up and release another album.
>>
>>69163867
When Rush happened
>>
>>69163867
November 8th
>>
There were like a fuck ton of different styles of prog back in the days. It's always either a bastardization of Yes with instrumentals that are technical wank instead of atmospheric, a Genesis bastardization that somehow manage to make pretty formulaic parts outside of large arrangements, or some kinda ELP/Rush bastardization that maintains just the cheesy aspect of prog. There's very little regard for the other styles of progressive rock until you had a band come along like The Mars Volta, who eventually became this pretentious, boring band thanks to Omar just becoming a lesser guitar player playing extended chords rather than anything progressive.
>>
>>69163867
1975. The music press began to turn against the prog outfits like Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here was considered their worst album and pretentious garbage) and Yes and instead began to jerk off punk.
>>
>>69165698
So did punk kill Prog? Following that, it must be assumed that metal killed punk.
>>
>>69166071
Sincer Robert Fripp loves punk, does that make King Crimson Judas?
>>
>>69166071
>So did punk kill Prog?
Yes and no. The music media killed Prog by declaring it 'literally everything that is wrong with music' and held punk up as a standard for 'everything right with music.' Now, of course, that's bullshit when you come down to it because some of the most uncompromising musicians in the industry, like Roger Waters, Robert Fripp, and Rick Wakeman, were the pioneers of Prog Rock, whereas a lot of punk musicians were sellouts capitalizing on a quick buck and riding the wave.

I'd argue that King Crimson and Pink Floyd were more punk than the punk rockers.
>>
>>69166207
>names band after the devil in the 1960s when that shit could get you arrested
>rejects the authority of the pentatonic scale
>plays aggressive dissonant rock music while sitting down on stage

Fripp was the real original punk
>>
>>69167619
He also never gave into the digital jew
>>
>>69165698
Wish You Were Here is kind of too guitar wank-y. The concept also doesn't really cover it at all.
>>
>>69167683
They have their albums on ITunes now, just not streaming services or even Last.fm.
>>
>>69163919
Am I the only one that thinks that STGSTV could be kinda considered prog?
>>
What's wrong with Stevie?
>>
>>69164228
Are there any prog bands worth listening to according to you? Doesn't sound like it.
>>
>>69163867
with kurt cobain
>>
File: download.jpg (32KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
32KB, 300x299px
it's not completely dead. i'll just leave this here...
>>
>>69167683
What exactly is the distinction between having your music put out on vinyl or CD and having it on streaming services that is oh-so-important and needs to be fought for?

Fripp is a stubborn old fart
>>
>>69168488
This guy's fucking right
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.