[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of New Wave music? Is it even a real genre,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: devo1+722.jpg (150KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
devo1+722.jpg
150KB, 1200x675px
What do you think of New Wave music? Is it even a real genre, or just a catchall term for music that sounded "different" in the early 80s?
>>
i like it
>>
I feel like there's a pretty specific style of New Wave that consists of Talking Heads and Talking Heads-esque bands, like early Devo or XTC on Drums and Wires. Stop start rhythms and the specific vocal style.
>>
It's hard to pin down because it's so wide.
Most new wave groups come from glam/punk/pop/disco and there's varying amounts of each in the mix. The one thing I can think of that ties them together is a sense of 'nervousness' I guess, but even that doesn't apply to a lot of groups, like Blondie. A lot of them owe a debt to punk, especially if you look at how many got a big boost from playing at CBGB.
But yeah, I definitely wouldn't say put Devo and Duran Duran together.
>>
>>69105522
It seems like a lot of bands that are classified as New Wave would be thought of as synthpop bands if they had come a couple of years later
>>
>>69105589
Deffo.
A lot of bands that got labeled New Wave didn't like it at all because it was grouping them with bands they had zero in common with.
>>
to me it's just a general approach to writing songs that became popular after punk went mainstream
>>
>>69105589

I agree. Or "New Romantic".
>>
The only thing that really ties them together is that it was a bunch of new acts in the pop scene. It's definitely early alternative in that a lot of those acts don't look comfortable next to anyone, even each other. It was some amazing pop, though.

On a side note, were the Police New Wave, Punk, Post-Punk, or Rock? I'd like to hear your opinions anons. All I can tell is they're really good.
>>
>>69106430
Rock with Reggae influences?
>>
>>69105094
>>69105507
>>69105522
Something that ties them together is that twangy, surf-y, "gritty" style of guitar playing

You can hear it in the early B-52s and early Devo's playing, especially
>>
>>69105094
yes it's a real genre

new wave is sick
>>
I have excellent news for the world.
There is no such thing as "New Wave" and there never was.

It was the polite thing to say when you were trying to explain that you weren't into boring old rock and roll but you didn't dare say punk because you were afraid that you'd get kicked out of the party and they wouldn't give you any more cocaine.

New wave doesn't mean shit!
>>
>>69105094
WHIP IT !
>>
New wave is post-punk with more commercial appeal
>>
Isn't every subgenre just a sloppy way of categorizing something that sounds different? Most the genres discussed here aren't actually considered official genres.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.