[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

African albums that influenced Talking Heads?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: remain-in-light.jpg (684KB, 1782x1780px) Image search: [Google]
remain-in-light.jpg
684KB, 1782x1780px
I always see people talk about the African music that inspired the polyrythms and African vibes on I Zimbra and Remain In Light, but does anyone know what music it actually was? If it was just a genre in general, what are the best albums from the genre?
>>
just listen to Fela Kuti on youtube and go away will you
>>
Fela Kuti - Zombie and
Afrodesiac
>>
it's called Afrobeat and you start with Fela Kuti
>>
Eno and Byrne both loved Fela Kuti and were pretty much openly imitating his style at some points on that album
Fela is definitely the nost important afrobeat artist, he invented the genre. Byrne's favorite Fela albums were Expensive Shit and Zombie with Eno's was Afrodisiac so you can start with those
>>
>>69103451
>African
>albums
top rockist, m8
>>
>>69103644
>>69103653
>>69103664
>>69103666
thanks a bunch will listen to him
>>
it's mostly bullshit. people love to go on about "african rhythms" like they're prominent, but really it just means there are a few bits of auxiliary percussion way in the background that have little to nothing to do with the rest of the music. i dare someone to give me something other than "nuh-uh"
>>
>>69104179
do you know what a polyrhythm is? even without the small parts of african percussion they would still be in there.
>>
>>69104179
>Brian Eno introduced Fela Kuti's multiple rhythm music style to the band, and during production Eno used a different rhythm count for some members of the group than others, starting on the "3" instead of the "1." It gave the song what Eno called "a funny balance within it. It has really two centers of gravity: their '1' and my '1.'" This rhythm imbalance was exaggerated in the studio, and is present throughout the song.[6]

and that is just once in a lifetime
>>
>>69104479
oh lol sorry. i forgot polyrhythms were exclusive to africa
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.