[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me get better at jazz guitar, /mu/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: young-jim-hall.jpg (125KB, 525x295px) Image search: [Google]
young-jim-hall.jpg
125KB, 525x295px
So I've been a guitarist for the past 7 years. I've had private lessons and taught myself quite a bit. I'm familiar with blues, classical, rock, punk, pretty much everything but prog and country. I've recently gained a great admiration for jazz music in the past few years- Django, Charlie Christian, Jim Hall, Wes Montgomery, Jobim, etc- and I'd really like to learn how to broaden my horizons.

I took a jazz guitar class in college and it ended up discouraging me more than inspiring me. We spent an entire semester learning Sonnymoon for Two and I really didn't pick up much except for basic jazz chord structure and everything I learned beforehand is absolutely garbage in terms of jazz.

Where do I begin? I'm too poor for sheet music and jazz tabs are hard to come by. You've come through for me before, /mu/.
>>
You know your

Major
Minor
Harmonic minor
Melodic minor scales?

You know about chord substitutions? Primary, secondary, and sub-dominants? And plagal and perfect cadences?

You should have your diatonic chords and their 7ths 9ths 11ths 13ths etc. How to sharp a five, suspend a forth?

Then really important are your 7th and mmaj7 #5 chord arpeggios , they get you out of all sorts of trouble

Then superimposing different scales ( like your melodic minor-up-a-forth technique over a dom 7 13 etc.)

By then play anything, there's no note you couldn't justify, it's up to your imagination

Should do it

Get a good fake book?
>>
>>69098968
I'm about to sound like a dipshit, but

I know major and some minor scales, pentatonic, dorian, spanish, bebop, and lydian.

Honestly, not much of anything else you stated. I read sheet music and everything, but in my actual training most of them failed to teach me anything like that. Granted, I had lessons when I was a teenager just trying to get laid and I was completely clueless to jazz theory when I took jazz guitar in college.

Where should I start?
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (6KB, 169x225px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
6KB, 169x225px
>>69099067
You're best looking for your local jazz guitarist that gives lessons.

Really, you need arpegios of the seventh chords. The practice sequencing them over a jazz progression,

And... knowing scale shapes over all the different chords, sounds like you sort of do

Try this book and really have a go at understanding it

Draw out your harmonic minor, melodic minor

Practice them every day, you'll be great
>>
learn a bit of latin it really helps
>>
>>69099171
It's going in the cart. Thanks man, appreciate it. Any suggestions for musicians to listen to?
>>
>>69099307
It does list the melodic and harmonic in music notation form but draw them out yourself as fret diagrams, and... practice the scale position for each diatonic chord.

Ummm and really, get someone to show you chord arpeggios, they are so useful

You know a spanish scale? That might be the harmonic minor, it's used to go over a minor cadence but it great for jazz improvisation to throw in a new sound

What else?
>>
>>69099378
I think I have arpeggios down. It's the root, third, fifth, and octave right?

I don't think it's the harmonic minor. In E it'd be E F G# A B C Eb. I picked it off of Guitar World or some place like that.
>>
>>69099539
Yeah that's it, so you could play a min 7, maj 7, m7b5 arpegio on the 6 and 5 string? And 4 if you're really crazy?

Well, they are the main chords used in the american songbook (that be-bop bastardised as their avant garde thing). If you could sequence the arpeggios over a lead sheet for 'night and day' for example, that's good... you'll hear the chird changes in the practice.
Then if you can also do that with scale shapes of the major,minor,melodic and harmonic minor...there's not much more to do, you'd be pretty shit hot by then.

Also swing time and triplets, don't forget those. Play anything you're groovy
>>
>>69099702
The chord changes in jazz are the most intimidating thing t.b.h. But I'll give it all a shot. Thanks man, I appreciate the help.

I'm glad to know /mu/ isn't only for circlejerking to NMH
>>
>>69099914
That's what you need to work on then. Your seventh chords to 4/4 and changing them comfortably , and chord spellings etc.
I do know someone that could help... but you're probably trolling me... or something

I've never got this place, like moot is a hero but the place has an awful reputation... so... why is moot a goodie then? Like, dude that made silk road wasn't

Then, the whole anon thing diesn't work either, it's cowardice, there's a difference between anonimty and privacy (as this place bends to breaking ) , anyway I'm stuck here

Good luck!

(and if you try to do good things here you kicked in the teeth real bad, is it that tylo or summit? Fantano? I duno)
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.