[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Essential Shoegaze

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: Atomizer.jpg (179KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Atomizer.jpg
179KB, 600x600px
>>
>>69092236
Lololol. Albini wishes he had even an ounce of Shields' talent.
>>
>>69092236
the joke is that it isn't shoegaze
>>
>>69092247
shoegaze doesn't take any talent dummy
>>
>>69092291
That just makes Albini seem worse. He couldn't even make a decent shoegaze album.
>>
>>69092318
epic shitpost bro really subtle XDDDDDDDDDDD
>>
>>69092247
albini reinvented pop music and saved us from the bland legacy of blues knockoffs and beatles drones, so yeah he may not be kevin shields but he deserves to be listed as one of the most important musicians ever
>>
>>69092291
>shoegaze doesn't take any talent dummy
It takes talent to invent it.
>>
>>69092713
He definitely had a huge influence in punk and hardcore, especially as an audio engineer, but I wouldn't say he REINVENTED pop music. He's not that great of a musician, but a pretty creative writer and producer.
And to say he saved us from blues knockoffs and beatles drones is a very pretentious angsty thing to say, that he conquered those genres.
>>
>>69092713
You just described Brian Wilson. Why are Albini fans such clueless plebs?
>>
>>69092777
And to make it sound any good. Anybody can feed a guitar into 12 pedals, but it takes talent to make it not sound like shit.
>>
>>69092837
They identify with his early stuff where Albini himself now thought he was a clueless pleb. But Albini fans haven't grown up yet.
>>
>>69092777
believe me, it really doesn't indie fag
>>
>>69092846
anybody who knows who to chain pedals can do that are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>69092777
Kevin didnt invent shoegaze you retarded
>>
>>69093160
>Kevin didnt invent shoegaze you retarded
He did not invent "shoegaze" but what he did was invent an entirely different way of playing guitar, which no other "shoegaze" band at the time were doing.
>>
>>69093085
I don't mean the fidelity of the signal path, I mean using 2 reverbs, a phaser, 2 overdrives, 2 delays, a whammy, a wah, and a looper. Just utilizing everything so it doesn't sound too non-musical. Sure anybody knows how to chain pedals, but I mean articulating the sound throughout them to where everything fits perfectly is really complicated and takes talent to do so. If you ever try to recreate MBV's guitar sound, you'll see just how meticulous and delicate the balance between each pedal is.
>>
>>69093055
Sure it's easy enough to just flood everything with fuzz and reverb and call it shoegaze, but it's really difficult to have people respond to it. Anything with too much reverb and fuzz automatically sounds like shit, but it's hard to tame it to where the sound is bizarre yet compelling enough to wanna keep listening. There's always an easy way out in every genre, but it's easiest in shoegaze where the crux of the material is based on a formula of pedals. It takes talent to break through the easy path and make actually good music.
>>
>>69093280
>Sure anybody knows how to chain pedals, but I mean articulating the sound throughout them to where everything fits perfectly is really complicated and takes talent to do so.
Yes, this is true. You can't just throw shit together or play anything that way. You narrow things down into playing in a very slow, specific manner.

>If you ever try to recreate MBV's guitar sound, you'll see just how meticulous and delicate the balance between each pedal is.

And it's not just that, a lot of the sound also comes from playing in non-standard tuning, with multiple strings tuned to the same notes, creating drones and harmonics, and utilizing very deep tremolo shifts with the tremolo bar combined with pitch shifting pedals.

It requires almost autistic focus and dedication.
>>
>itt: People missing the joke because they didn't see
>>69089143
>>
>>69093429
>It requires almost autistic focus and dedication.

>almost
>>
File: 1460149021476.jpg (38KB, 360x516px) Image search: [Google]
1460149021476.jpg
38KB, 360x516px
>>69092236
>noise rock
>shoegaze
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.