[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hardwired...To Self-Destruct (Leaked Album, First Listen)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 18

File: metallica-hardwired-album-art.jpg (215KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
metallica-hardwired-album-art.jpg
215KB, 1200x1200px
It's not as thrashy as I thought it was going to be, given the structure of the three singles out but I'm not really hating it so far. It has some bluesy Load vibes to it at times and I can definitely see how they reformatted this album's sound early on, with most of the songs seeming like they are from a different album.

I can't figure out why the main 12 songs needed to be on two discs though...that baffles me.
>>
WE'RE SO FUCKED
>>
>>69086488
Confusion sounds like they are ripping themselves off, almost identical chord progression from the album Ride the Lightning.
>>
Halo is a fantastic song.
>>
>>69086488
link for leak?
>>
>>69088544
Torrent
>>
>>69088550
Whaddiya know, it worked...
>>
>>69088581
straight to halo on fire bud
>>
>>69088604
Spit Out the Bone is fucking great. A lot of the tracks are very forgettable though. I like the overall feel to it, it is way better structurally and musically compared to Death Magnetic.

It's like they mashed The Black Album with Load for most of it.
>>
>>69088544
it's the top search on Pirate Bay..takes three seconds to find you stupid fuck
>>
>>69088778
At the moment I'm liking:

Halo
Spit
Revenge
Now that we're dead
>>
>>69088880
I still can't figure out why the fuck this was spread out on two discs. I like Revenge too. I just wish they (the songs) were a bit more diverse...
>>
>>69088897
I think it was just a marketing thing or maybe a stylistic choice. There's quite a difference musically between the two discs.
>>
>>69088897
Yeah I'm not too sure.. I have heard something about potential loss of quality after 75ish minutes.

But who knows, I don't really care to be honest.

Hmm.. I don't think it's as bad as DM regarding diversity. It is their most diverse in a long time.
>>
>>69088938
>There's quite a difference musically between the two discs.
I suppose you could chalk it up to this, yeah. I am going more with it being a marketing gimmick to buy it on a vinyl.
>>
>god tier
Spit out the Bone, Halo on Fire
>great tier
Moth into Flame, Dream No More
>good tier
Now That We're Dead, Atlas Rise, Am I Savage
>okay tier
Confusion, Hardwired, Here Comes Revenge
>bad tier
ManUNkind, Murder One
>>
>>69088941
>I have heard something about potential loss of quality after 75ish minutes.
I don't think that is a real concern with modern CD compression now, most Wal-Mart CD-'s can hold up to like an hour without much loss of quality.
>It is their most diverse in a long time.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking...though this means that the more die-hard fans probably won't like it is as much. But I think everything flows well and the songs are pretty decent overall. The production value also is better than Death Magnetic.

Honestly, this is best we are going to get from here on out...
>>
>>69088969
You didn't like Murder One? The Lemmy tribute??
>>
>>69088969
>everyone loves Halo on Fire
Why...? Seriously.
>>
File: 1476362140579.png (10KB, 215x200px) Image search: [Google]
1476362140579.png
10KB, 215x200px
>>69088983
Not that I outright didn't like it but I think it pales in comparison to the rest of the album

Solo's pretty good and I like the bouncy, bluesy sound of the verses, but it's kind of basic
>>
>>69089023
Yeah it did come off as basic.

I am pretty surprised that this whole album is as bluesy at it is tbqhfamalamadingdong. I thought it would be faster and more hard line thrash than this.
>>
>>69089023
>>69089037
Spit out the bone is simple.

Halo has a lot more going on
>>
>>69089161
>Spit out the bone is simple.
I disagree with this, and simple doesn't make it bad. As an album closer, it's great. I like the ferocity in his voice on it too.
>>
>>69089178
Oh i love the song too! It has some awesome riffs.

I just feel Halo is more "complex" and flows much better.

i dunno.. I'm not a musician.. I think its Hets vocals and phrasing that make it so good for me
>>
>>69089178
Not trying to sound wanky! I'm not one of those fans.

I just love the heavy intro to halo and how it breaks down to the verse... just so different. I dunno. It's fucking amazing to my ears
>>
So, is it good?
>>
>>69089295
It is DEFINITELY "good".

I would say it's a great album.
>>
>>69089295
Yeah, I love it. It's a little more like the Black Album/Load than the singles would have you believe, but that helps it feel genuine. The guys are making the kind of music they want to make, not the kind of music their fans will like them for.
>>
>>69089507
well half of them anyway...

it sounds like 95% hetfield and ulrich.. aside from spit out the bone, that was just your life and my apocalypse were better thrash songs than anything on this album
>>
>tfw liked murder one more than spit out the bone
and i'm not saying murder one is good, but i thought spit out the bone was shit
>>
Most of this album is unlistenable garbage, taking too closely after Death Magnetic. I'm not even being a goddamned snot about this; Metallica's been my "favorite band" for twenty years, and I can't fucking stand these last two albums.

Shit thing is, I can't even tell you why. Not exactly. As much as I hate to admit it, I just think James' songwriting is driving me away. I can't put up with this weak rhyming he's doing lately, knowing that he's capable of something so much better.

Halo on Fire is possibly the worst offender for this and I had to skip the song the first play-through because of that fucking "wooord, word, blah blah blah word" "rhyme" schematic he was doing.

Okay. Okay, let's try to be positive.

Dream No More sounds like some kind of Ozzy mashup. The lyrics are okay. Neat song.

Atlas, Rise! is a nice song, but is pretty obviously a Death Magnetic B side.

The vocal harmonies in Moth Into Flame are nice. Also more at home on Death Magnetic.

Spit Out The Bone is one of very few sparks of hope on this album. I don't really like the lyrical melody, but whatever. It's a step in the right direction (any direction away from Death Magnetic).

The best song on the album is Now That We're Dead, in my opinion - which, I know is probably considered shit by a lot of people already. ReLoad was my first album, and the songs like Fixxxer, I Disappear and Unforgiven II are generally what I consider to "be Metallica", so take all this as you will (or don't).

I'll look forward to the next album, but if I have to wait another eight or ten years, I could well get hit by a bus before then.
>>
>>69090393
>I can't even tell you why
Honestly you just sound like you're trying too hard to be cynical about it. The album's getting positive reception all over the place.

If at this stage you don't like what Metallica's doing, it might just be as simple as you not liking the kind of music they make now. They've done everything that can be expected of them to win guys like you over.
>>
>>69090500

I appreciate what you're saying, but I really want to be positive about this album. I wanted to like it, but I guess there's just nothing to distinguish it from Death Magnetic.

I guess it feels like they can either thrash on their guitars, or sing a decent song, and there's no intermixing.

Yeah, it's getting great reviews; but as a counter-point, I'd say that the Hardwired title track is being hailed as some sort of Second Coming, and it's literal poprock music garbage. I like to imagine James giggling to himself saying "teehee, I said the F- word..!" You can't convince anyone of this though, because they're too busy creaming themselves because the bridge riff has some faint resemblance to Metal Militia and everyone's yelling about how this means "they're back!!!1".
>>
>>69090558
memba starwars
>>
>>69090558
>it's literal poprock music garbage
You've got a very skewed perspective of music 2bh

This is pop rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opPV1-IUmGw

I don't really think you can make a case for Hardwired sounding anything like that.
>>
File: metallica fans.png (18KB, 811x128px) Image search: [Google]
metallica fans.png
18KB, 811x128px
:^)
>>
>>69090593

Pop rock, pop hard rock, pop metal, whatever you want to call a very safe song with some super edgy curse words thrown in to generate static on the radio stations.
>>
>>69090621
They're literally the most popular metal band in the world, surely everything they've ever done is 'pop' technically. I don't really think it's edgy either, they're obviously having fun with it.
>>
i bet James is playing that last solo on Halo
>>
it's ok, but for a band like Metallica just seems extremelly uninspired and generic

Moth, Bone & Halo are the best
>>
metallica is shit
>>
I liked it. No classic songs here, but seems like a return to form. Imagine the simpsons putting out a season 10 quality episode now. It would be shit if we were only in season five, but after years of crap, a little above mediocrity is welcome.

I don't understand the comparison to death magnetic, the style is very different, the production, the guitar tones, the drumming, etc. The solos on this one are interesting and even good at times, Death magnetic barely had any and they were boring.

It's probably Metallica's best since the black album or even and justice for all.
>>
We're so fucked
Shit outta luck
>>
>>69088972
>Honestly, this is best we are going to get from here on out...
Everyone thought the same thing when Death Magnetic came out, anon. I'm not saying to be optimistic for future Metallica releases, but they could surprise us again.
>>
well, sure it's better than Lulu. but I don't know why, they sound to me like a tribute band. It's like listening metallica trying to be metallica
>>
>>69094100
Lulu is probably their best album. It's a top pleb filter too.
>>
>>69094245
lowest bait I have seen. really.
I'll assume that you are serious and correct myself. what I understand for metallica is Kill'em all, master of puppets, ride the lightnin...
so, yeah, lulu is horseshit
>>
>>69094318
>pleb filter
>what I understand for metallica is Kill'em all, master of puppets, ride the lightnin...
>lulu is horseshit
yeah, pleb filter
>>
>>69094332
>master
>good album
fuck you
>>
>>69094345
>fuck you
>no reading and comprehension skills whatsoever
>>
>>69094420
>>69094345 intended for >>69094318
>>
>>69094332
>>69094345

>Master of puppets
>bad album

easy on me, /mu/. I don't come here usually and this kind of autism is something I can't handle
>>
>>69094515
its a bad album, has its highs but overall. no thanks.
>>
>>69094534
I'll admit I prefer other albums (kill'em all, ride the lightning) over master. but I don't see it as a bad album. I also prefer master over lulu or st anger
>>
>>69086488
Whyel and sulivan king remix is good
>>
>>69094596
in the end music is like colors we can argue green is superior to blue, but we are all different and that's what make it fun.

in my world i dont like it. but ya is better than other albums.

on topic, sounds like Death magnetic 2
>>
File: 20160919_185852_7549_955114.jpg (69KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
20160919_185852_7549_955114.jpg
69KB, 800x800px
Lars seems to have absorbed Kirk's talent; very solid drumming, Hammett barely turns up, and I wonder how many of the good solos in this are James. Feels like Ride/Magnetic/Load mashed into one with some of Justice's progressiveness. Solid release.
Spit Out The Bone is worth the second disc, which drags a little, but a lesser band would have edited down twelve tracks to the best eight. [Probably first disc in entirety, Here Comes Revenge Or Am I Savage, and Spit out the Bone]

All in all 8/10. A worthy reclaimation of Metallica's throne, but little expansion into new territory.

The standard edition cover is also awful, vinyl and collector's is far better composition.
>>
>>69086488
Actually, it was good
>>
File: 1471440939917.jpg (214KB, 345x336px) Image search: [Google]
1471440939917.jpg
214KB, 345x336px
>>69090393
>songs like Fixxxer, I Disappear and Unforgiven II are generally what I consider to "be Metallica"
This is bait, right?
>>
>>69090607
Thanks "MobileDecay"
>>
File: 1470164677592.jpg (152KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1470164677592.jpg
152KB, 640x480px
>>69094345
>Master of Puppets, regarded as the greatest Metallica album
>is a bad album
I don't come to this board often, but is this the type of Aspergers I am going to get here?
>>
>>69095722
radios magazines say so?
i dont give a fuck. music is about what you like and i dont like that pop album.

please dont come anymore.
>>
>>69095862
>please dont come anymore.
This is my thread you hugbox faggot. I'll go where I please.

Please explain to me how a staple Metallica record, that was one of the essential reasons for their blowup, their highest selling record and beloved by fucking millions of people for the last near 30 years (while being considered THE Metallica sound) is a bad album...?

Back up your opinion, faggot.
>>
>>69095862
>pop album
You have to be certifiably retarded to think that Master of Puppets is """""pop"""""

Please tell me you don't believe that.
>>
>>69095926
look dude, if everyone like it you like it? is that the way you work?

i can understand it.

>>69095954
im just triggering this fucker :3
>>
File: 080.jpg (30KB, 600x691px) Image search: [Google]
080.jpg
30KB, 600x691px
>>69096000
>if everyone like it you like it? is that the way you work?
You could just delve into an actual criticism...
>im just triggering this fucker :3
OH HAHA WE SAID DUM DUM THINGS ON DA INTERNETS FOR LE EBIN UPDOOTS!

If you don't have an actual criticism, then you can just fucking leave, kiddo.
>>
qt kino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZChXK2rdr9M
>>
>>69096419
I think it's pretty cool that they are doing music videos for every song.
>>
>>69096419
I really like this song
>>
>>69096062
and you baited.
>If you don't have an actual criticism...
i was trying to, but it seems you suck Metallica's dick too hard.

I had high hopes on the album, from what i listened it's death magnetic 2.0 that's ok for the fans i guess. it could be worst.
>>
>>69096615
>and you baited.
That's not what baited means.
>was trying to, but it seems you suck Metallica's dick too hard.
It's "sucking Metallica's dick" to say that Master of Puppets is a good album? Are you fucking retarded? Not everyone gets off to just being contrarian for no reason.
>I had high hopes on the album, from what i listened it's death magnetic 2.0 that's ok for the fans i guess. it could be worst.
Good for you, but the question was about you offering up constructive criticism to explain why you feel Master of Puppets is a bad album.

Which I'm still waiting for...
>>
>>69096615
>If you don't have an actual criticism...
This wasn't bait, autismo.
>>
my problem with a lot of these songs is that they feel very riff-salady and bloated with shit thrown in at random that doesn't make much structural sense. spit out the bone does not need to be over 7 minutes long for what it is. if you cut out their acoustic intros fight fire with fire and battery are both 4 minutes long and every riff feels like it serves a purpose whether its conveying the themes in the lyrics of a particular section, transitioning in and out of a section, building tension, changing the mood, etc. this is something old metallica did extremely well and has been kind of lost in the shuffle nowadays. the riffs and vocals also used to be very interconnected and complimentary to one another, whereas a song like "spit out the bone" has long sections of just tremolo picking with james shouting the (very generic for metallica in my opinion, i believe "the god the failed" has a similar one at one point and a lot of other songs on hardwired feel like they have extremely similar vocal melodies with one another) vocal melody over it with little consideration paid to how it relates to what's happening in the guitar.

to drive my point home take a song like disposable heroes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYaRQKF0mpk

this song is a good example of the kind of skill metallica used to have that i feel they're lacking in nowadays. there are three distinct "main" riffs that each serve a purpose in telling the three different perspectives of the song: the soldier down in the field, the narrator overlooking the whole battle, and the authority figure towering above them and sending them to die. each riff ratchets up or brings down the tension and reflects the appropriate mood and notice how after two of these three riffs are introduced in the intro they are changed up harmonically to fit with the vocals and add variation. i have a lot more i want to say but ran out of room so tl;dr SOtB etc doesn't do a lot of the things metallica used to do so effectively
>>
>>69096747
this is in addition to the terrible production, kirk's shitty soloing (the solo in disposable heroes is great, explores a few different ideas and the entire section does a great job of giving a sense of finality to the last verse of the song) etc. hardwired just isn't a good album for me at all.
>>
>>69096801
>addition to the terrible production
Hardwired doesn't really have bad production though...
>>
>>69096839
it does. drums are obnoxiously loud, nothing has any character, all songs sound flat with no sense of dynamics, it feels like beyond magnetic but beyond magnetic had an excuse because they were basically demos
>>
>>69096747
Disposable Heroes has some sweet cymbal chokes, and one of the ony times I can remember Lars using the ride cymbal.
>>
>>69096861
>drums are obnoxiously loud
As a drummer, I'll agree that the percussion isn't mixed well.
>all songs sound flat with no sense of dynamics
What format are you listening? It's not really that flat. Things like "character" and "dynamics" aren't production value terms in and of themselves. Do you mean the dynamics in the MIX? Again, it's not objectively bad. Maybe a bit too processed, but I have a CD rip, I have no idea how much was compromised in downloading this.
>>
more meme videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUVr2xnGIEo
>>
>>69096981
How is this a meme?
>>
>>69096419
wtf it's actually good.
>>
>>69096747
maybe a fairer comparison considering what they were probably going for is damage inc but it's even less favorable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbLMrce7OJI

exempting the intro piece the song itself is only about 3:30 and contains far more creativity and thoughtful use of musical ideas than spit out the bone does. of special note are the vocals, i love how the riff at 3:15 implies the vocal melody that comes after it and is pretty much identical at "we know just where you come from". it's baffling to me that metallica were able to write songs this good when they were extremely intoxicated kids but can't do it now
>>
>>69096990
Welcome to /mu/ 2016. Every single thing is a meme. This is not hyperbole. Everything you say will be called a meme by someone.
>>
>>69097146
>. it's baffling to me that metallica were able to write songs this good when they were extremely intoxicated kids
Drugs, man. Drugs and talent. Their age had nothing to do with it.
>>
YEAH!
>>
>>69097392
OOOOOOOOOH

YEEE

HAAAA
>>
>>69093479
Did you even listenend to unforgiven 3?
>>
>>69093479
>The solos on this one are interesting and even good at times, Death magnetic barely had any and they were boring.
2/10 troll
>>
Do you think Lars ever teases Kirk about not being able to admit that he's seriously balding?
>>
>>69097951
Lars isn't any authority on style. Mother fucker is fat dad couch potato mode.
>>
>>69088991
those last two minutes my dude, boner inducing
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUVr2xnGIEo
>metallica pretends to be mayhem and james is Dead

top kek lads
>>
My expectations for Hardwired... To Self-Destruct were pretty low going into but I have to say I'm impressed. I'd say it's on par with Death Magnetic. I liked the long, guitar solo filled songs on DM and the lyrics were a bit better in my opinion but the production is so much better on Hardwired and it has more memorable riffs.
>>
File: 1471983826369.jpg (47KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1471983826369.jpg
47KB, 500x375px
>>69098072
who is giving them horrible production advice? black album, death magnetic, and this sounds so much fucking better at 1.25 speed
>>
I wasn't too imressed at first, but this album definitely grows on you. I think it'll be recieved quite well within few months. Kirk very disappointing desu though, and the songs do sound better when sped up a bit.
>>
>>69099370
metallica post justice always sounds weird at first and then grows on you.
>>
>>69098964
>who is giving them horrible production advice?
Nobody anymore, it's their own label.
>>
>>69097862
How is that anon's opinion about lackluster solos a troll?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlF4rhAbwyc

new vid up
>>
>>69099580
Keep bumping this thread so we can get all the music videos up for discussion.
>>
File: 1478231479683.jpg (14KB, 480x358px) Image search: [Google]
1478231479683.jpg
14KB, 480x358px
I miss jason newsted
>>
File: Dystopia.jpg (850KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Dystopia.jpg
850KB, 1080x1080px
Megadeth did it better
>>
>>69099531
Because he said Death Magnetic barely has solos when the album is basically all solos
>>
>>69097154
More like welcome to 2016.
>>
>>69099370
What happened to Kirk here? Sure thing Kirk isn't that super amazing guitarrist most people make him out to be, but he isn't really as bad as the other side of most people think. I'm left feeling "men this could definetely been better" specially on Dream No More considering the theme and Kirk's sound on stuff like The Thing and Harvester. His solo on Exodus' Salt the Wound was great, here so far it's just pretty much ok, some cool bits here and there but that's it, you can even kind of hear past solos in some.
>>
>>69100913
People have been saying for years that he's suffering from arthritis and can't play like he used to
>>
Revenge is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpF8Wa2yQH0

>>69101525
Really? First time I hear that.
>>
>>69101565
best vid yet
>>
>>69101565
well that was something
>>
>>69101631
i personally loved the mayhem vid, but this one is truly something.
>>
>>69101735
>>69101631
Animated videos are always cool. I saw someone earlier saying he wanted more zombie shit. I guess that person got served.
>>
>>69089763
>it sounds like 95% hetfield and ulrich
Kirk said in an interview that those two wanted creative control and he just let them have it. which might also be the reason all Kriks solos sound flat as fuck.
>>
>>69102060
james and lars were always the creative entrepeneurial engines in the band, but kirk is the no ego glue that holds it all together, imagine if he had ambitions or expectations like jason did.

i mean even in some kind of monster he was the guy that agreed to anything to keep the band going.
>>
>>69096747
Confusion sounds like a conclusion to Disposable when you listen to them back to back
>>
>>69101565
The vocals sound off on these songs, as if they have been auto tuned, way to clean and less gritty.
>>
>>69094245
when will this meme end?
>>
>>69102273
>as if they have been auto tuned,
because they have been.
James' voice is shot, he cant sing properly anymore.
They definitely over polished the vocals though,m and now the difference is too noticeable, which wasnt as big a problem in Death Magnetic.
>>
>>69086506
SHIT OUTTA LUCK
>>
>>69102230
it's like an alternative ending to one i felt
>>
>>69102312
>because they have been.
No, pitch correction and light modulation is not outright auto-tuning. Common misconception.
>>
>>69102339
They sound artificial, too heavy on the correction. It barely sounds like him.
>>
>>69102392
>They sound artificial
He is also singing in a different key...
>>
>>69102409
Or it's been pitch corrected to a different key. Sounds terrible though, also if this was played at 1.25x speed it would sound way better.
>>
>>69102409
>>69102438
if you watch any "making of ..." footage it becomes very obvious how touched up the final vocals are, its the worst(?) theyve been since James fucked his voice in the 90s
>>
>>69102597
>james can't sing without major auto tune
>Kirk can't play a decent solo
>time to call it quits
>>
>>69102638
well i mean, they ARE in their mid to late 50s

they still sound fine live, with a couple rough spots here and there
>>
>>69098964
>and this sounds so much fucking better at 1.25 speed
FUCKING WOW it reminded me of The Four Horsemen
>>
>>69100248
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH WOW
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkVG-qXRgfo
>>
>>69103815
The fucking dog looking at everyone eat.
>>
>>69096419
Damn this is hard to get through.
>>
>>69103815
destroying the cake, you monster!
>>
>>69103815
how did it take them eight years to come up with this?
>>
>>69104030
Ok, he's a monster, but was he savage?
>>
>>69104067
They were just busy doing shit and didn't feel like going to the studio.
>>
Haven't listened to most of the tracks yet. Does James still limit himself to the low E string?
>>
>>69104067
They were doing a whole lot of dumb shit over that time period

Also blew a shit ton of cash on it
>>
>>69096990
Le corpse paint music video.
>>
>>69097146
>it's baffling to me that metallica were able to write songs this good when they were extremely intoxicated kids but can't do it now

That was exactly it though. They were pissed off, drunk, angry kids who wanted to conquer the world, not old, tired, fat, millionaires in their 50s with nothing left to prove.
>>
>>69104226
>>69097146
You think though with age would come wisdom and maybe maturity and something to say about life.
>>
>>69104252
>something to say about life
>thrash metal
:>)
>>
>>69104226
It's pretty much the same logic why Megadeth albums written when Mustaine was pissed off are several times better than born-again Christian Mustaine albums
>>
>>69104260
Yeah, you can sing about the extinction of life.
>>
>>69104252
Metal really isn't the best medium for that though. I mean, the shit's not Frank Sinatra here.
>>
>>69104275
yeah that's kind of what they've been doing for about 30 years hahaha
>>
>>69104281
This, metal bands get worse with age not better.
>>
Fuck. Confusion sounds way fucking better sped up.
>>
Well this has been incredibly disappointing.
>>
>>69104602
literally the entire album sounds better sped up
>>
>>69105024
I got no problem with slower songs, but really wish they had done some shit faster.
>>
>>69105079
some of their best songs are slow and melodic, but those are contrast to the thrash of the rest of their album which only really adds to their impact.

HtSD so far has started fast and progressively gotten slower, which is really sucking the life out of some of the songs.
>>
>>69089161

I've found myself playing parts of Halo over in my head today.

The album has moments that light up my brain like I'm 14 again in a way not completely linked to nostalgia. The rest of it is a pile of shit though.
>>
>>69090607
>Biebetallica
smirked and breathed out my nose slightly
>>
>>69095009
why didn't they use this? it's still ridiculous looking but it's better looking than the regular one IMO
>>
Halo is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXJifYl_byU

oh wait, it's actually 'Sellout'
>>
They just did a kiddie version of enter sandman on the tonight show with Jimmy Fallon singing the chorus breakdown
>>
>>69103815
Lars looks like a homeless man who found a drumkit.
>>
>>69105581
EVERYTHING WE DO IS PLANNED OUT IN ADVANCE
THE STARS PUSH THEIR DARK WILLS DOOOOWN ON YOUUUU
>>
>>69104191
You can't just call something a meme, kiddo. That's not how it works.
>>
>>69104271
Endgame is born-again Christian Mustaine. I don't think that comparison works. Mustaine is just far more technically savvy and talented compositionlly
>>
>>69105581
I don't know what the fuck is going on here but looks like they're having fun.
>>
>>69104281
>>69104381
>Metal really isn't the best medium for that though.
>metal bands get worse with age not better.
Both of these statements are exceptionally retarded and I honestly don't know what metal bands you listen to. This is literally not true of any genre...

Plenty of metal bands still innovating and producing fantastic albums. I think you have a narrow conception of how genres work.
>>
>>69104260
>Believing that some genres can only have certain things to say about life
Are you retarded about music? There is heavy metal about environmental issues to taking your kids out to the fucking park.
>>
>>69105581
>If you are successful and do fun things, you are a sellout
Sure.
>>
>>69105586
Make sure you autistically complain about it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbxH5S9_A3M
>>
>>69105850
I'm calling it, this is the best song on the album. This and Spit out the Bone
>>
>>69105850
Is this Kirk's best work on this album? Damn son.
>>
>>69105866
Most of the solo work is James on this track.
>>
>>69105825
Weird reply
>>
>>69105873
Really? Cool shit.
>>
>>69105903
You can tell by the style.
>>
>>69102278
You think you know better than David Bowie faggot? Don't even respond you're a faggot
>>
>>69106523
you said the faggot word twice. you must be serious.
>>
>>69105850
Damn son this was great
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mkq6GFLIsk
>>
>>69107406
cute
>>
>>69107406
Aw shit man. Fucking beatiful. I was waiting for this the most.
>>
>>69107406
This was fucking great.
>>
>>69105719
It is a meme for non-black metal bands to do music videos in corpse paint, it's been happening for years.
>>
>>69107998
Did you not get the irony of the video? It wasn't supposed to be a serious thing...

Context, you fucks.
>>
>>69108029
Why Mayhem tho?
>>
>>69108098
Do you not know who Metallica's influences are..?
>>
The only "good" part of the album is this video:

https://youtu.be/tUVr2xnGIEo
>>
>>69108127
I don't really think I've hear Mayhem as a Metallica influence before. I know James likes Venom but I don't remember hearing anything about Mayhem before.
>>
>>69108167
You are a living meme.
>>
>>69108202 (You)
You are a no-life (unfunny, low-quality) spammer.
>>
>>69108167
it would be funnier if they actually made a black metal song
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m46Z0-HXySo
It's time.
>>
>>69095009
if this album was only on CD i would guess they would cut the fat, but the more streams you get the more money

we live in an era were quantity is a bigger factor
>>
>>69090393
if ReLoad was your first metallica album then i'm sorry it hasn't quite been 20 years

if you're gonna bait do it properly :^)
>>
>>69107406
So good
>>
>>69090393
>ReLoad
>Fixxxer
>I Disappear

Fucking kill yourself faggot. You're a literal cancer on the fanbase.
>>
>>69090642
>they're obviously having fun with it.
This doesn't justify making garbage. Like if they want to "have fun with it" they should not publicly release this garbage. Lars is an absolute garabage drummer, skills of a 11 year old and the attitude of a drum god with nothing to back it up. The riffs sound like something anyone who has played guitar for 4 months would play after listening to Load. Hetfield has been an absolute garbage singer since the 90's and can't write lyrics for shit.

-3/10

t. used to love Metallica a lot but can't beat this shit
>>
>>69108167
I went in expecting a Mayhem-like song, i was really disappointed.
>>
>>69108889
>WAHHHH
The post
>>
>>69097048
wtf i love metallica now
>>
>>69109180
So Kirk wrote that post? Damn man.
>>
And the ride comes to an end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaZswCtNmEg
>>
File: manganeko.png (44KB, 245x213px) Image search: [Google]
manganeko.png
44KB, 245x213px
>>69108889
Good post
>>
>>69086488
what a shitty, shitty cover
>>
>>69108889
kewl opinion brah
>>
>>69108566
great c movie material here, reminds me of the all nightmare long vid, spit out the song was this album's all nightmare long too.
>>
File: ii.jpg (4KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
ii.jpg
4KB, 160x160px
Not as good as MegaDED's Dystopia, but it still breaks. Looooooove it
>>
>>69109452
Pretty cool shit yes, although it kinda reminded me of power rangers for a moment.
>>
>>69108999
Same, but I don't think they could pull that off. I didn't care about the song, I thought it was an okay homage, and they replicated everything quite accurately and paid attention to detail.
>>
>>69109526
Yeah. Thats what mattered
>>
>>69109302
At least they redid this turd of a song
>>
I get a headache from listening to this album.
I think that lulu was less predictable and more original.
6/10 buy it if you're a fan
FAVORITE TRACK: SPIT OUT THE BOME
LEAST FAVORITE TRACK:DREAM NO MORE (AWFUL you can actually hear the auto tune)
>>
Legit question. Why do people that claim to hate literally everything after Justice, or even those to claim that they hated Justice, keep bothering to come back with every new record? Why if Metallica died in 88, 89, 8fucking something and hated them why do they bother to check on them still?
>>
somehow below their alt rock period. more pop than fucking metal
>>
>>69110007
because everyone has a metallica phase. it's like looking up your ex drunk on social media. you just kind of do it.
>>
>>69110022
Never got a ex so I'm a stranger to the feeling. Never got a current either.
>>
>>69110007
Beacause you grow up out of that hugbox "durr, only Justice was the great last album" autism and realize that Load and Reload arent terrible.
>>
>>69110046
How hard is it to use Tinder and get off 4chan for a few days to just go the fuck out and meet some 4 or 5s?
>>
>>69110253
Dunno, I don't even know what Tinder is.

>>69110142
It's not hard to see why people get turned off by load and reload, but yeah, they're pretty enjoyable if you got a taste for softer stuff too and are willing to give a proper hearing. Still, if you didn't like 4 or 5 fucking albums in succesion, why keep hoping that they will someday make something of your liking again?
>>
>making and releasing videos to every song in the album a day or two before release

absolute madmen
>>
>>69110539
If you were going to buy you buy anyway, if you were to pirate you pirate anyway. If you were on the fence of buying or not and didn't like it then you're saved. Literally no one loses.
>>
Fallon can go suck a dick, but this was kinda fun

https://youtu.be/GXJifYl_byU
>>
i've always been fascinated by how old metallica fans who grew up with them seem to enjoy whatever metallica does without being too serious about it, especially if they have families and/or stable lives, but both people who chose to stay metalheads as old people, or younger people who are adopting the metalhead mantle display almost hatred towards metallica.

this goes for both albums and stuff like last night's fallon performance, metallica is just doing whatever they feel like without trying adhere to a metal lifestyle and this causes massive butthurt to those who give themselves to the cause.

not saying their later stuff is any good (personally think they're ok, but nothing special), just how much people seem to try and hate on metallica.
>>
>>69110828
Yes, a lot of people hate metallica but you seem to forget how many ass lickers metallica has.
>>
>>69110828
I think it's kind of seen as like a badge of honor with some people. Metallica are the biggest, most popular metal band in the world, and teenagers who are into metal tend to be very bratty and cynical, so hating on Metallica is the quickest and easiest way to seem more hardcore than other metal fans. It's like people who call Slipknot and stuff like that 'pop'. It's embarrassing, but they don't realise it.

I also think their success might be a component in a different way. Lots of teenage metalheads are - let's not beat around the bush - total losers. A lot of them turn to 'angry' music like Metallica to help deal with it. When they see what they consider to be a band who makes music for outcasts like them being immensely successful, beloved and happy, they get mad.
>>
>>69110996
i agree on all accords, and with teenagers i can understand, it's just sad when middleaged people are still doing this.

>>69110984
sure, but all asslickers ever do is circlejerk, i don't see them anywhere but metallica related stuff, they're not as annoying.
>>
>>69108127
Mayhem is not one of them.
>>
>>69111029
Fair point
>>
>>69108566
This one's actually good.
>>
File: metallica fan.png (51KB, 829x417px) Image search: [Google]
metallica fan.png
51KB, 829x417px
>>69110996
>>69111029
Case in point, this guy, from the comments on the Jimmy Fallon video. He's in his 30s, and this is how he reacts to seeing a bunch of guys jam around on toy instruments for fun.
>>
>>69111198
>I'm more likely to skin a puppy and leave it at your door than I am to go to a fucking coffee shop
top kek
>>
File: metallicafan2.png (55KB, 483x691px) Image search: [Google]
metallicafan2.png
55KB, 483x691px
>>69111198
but wait, there's more

and for bonus points, nearly 20 years later, a Napster joke
>>
File: schoonover.png (527KB, 525x766px) Image search: [Google]
schoonover.png
527KB, 525x766px
>>69111198
>a dumbass that has no idea who I am. I'm more likely to skin a puppy and leave it at your door than I am to go to a fucking coffee shop
It's kind of gratifying to know that it's guys like this who getn angry with me when I say I like the new album
>>
File: wewl.png (10KB, 479x104px) Image search: [Google]
wewl.png
10KB, 479x104px
wtf I hate Jimmy Fallon now
>>
>>69111198
>I'm more likely to skin a puppy and leave it at your door than I am to go to a fucking coffee shop
weew
>>
>>69108777
1996-2016
wew lad
>>
>>69086488
Will Lars sue someone this time?
>>
jij bent echt een dombo!!!!
>>
>>69086488
got it since monday.

shitty album, shitty band even my local record store is giving away the album if you buy 2 or more records.
>>
>>69105581
that put a smile on my face, the people who write the tonight show really know how to reach a diverse audience despite working with jimmy fallon.
>>
The album is definitely a grower. It has melody and a style of its own, but nothing immediate like Sandman or Sad But True.
First time I heard Atlas Rise, I thought it was mediocre. But I actually grew to enjoy it. Much like most of the songs. I prefer that to something instantly catchy which you get bored with soon enough.

This album sounds like a NWOBHM riff fest, a cross between Kill Em All, Black and Load, without the immediacy or catchiness. It's a grower for sure.

Also, the guitar sound fits James' modern riff style of staccato-picking. That 80s scooped Boogie sound wouldn't work here, and would actually sound dated. The rhythm guitars actually sound similar to the Marshall sound of Kill Em All.

I believe this album was solely written by Hetfield and Ulrich, but correct me if I'm wrong. It's definitely a riff fest for sure.

I'm digging it!
>>
>>69112321
>I believe this album was solely written by Hetfield and Ulrich, but correct me if I'm wrong. It's definitely a riff fest for sure.
manunkind was written also by robert
>>
>>69111198
>>69111238
>>69111283
Why even waste energy screen capping these trolls?
Don't let these asshole's negative energy drag you down.
That includes the wankers at Blabbermouth.
If you feel happy listening to the music you love, why let some miserable fuck cloud your perception? It's their bullshit, don't let it become yours.

Life's too short...besides, who wouldn't want to be in a successful band as a career?
>>
>>69112370
Nice, cheers for the correction.

Poor Kirk, maybe next time he'll back up his phone data and not lose one thousand ideas.
>>
>>69107406
so this song's about Lemmy
>>
>>69112402
I personally find it amusing, doesn't really drag me down. Most bands I've listened to have been called shit at some point, don't really care. But some arguments are really fucking funny.
>>
>>69112432
It's actually pretty cool, a fitting tribute for such an icon.
I think Moth was written about Amy Winehouse too.
Probably more social commentary on this album since Justice.
>>
>>69112461
I'm glad anon, there's nothing worse than being negged out by miserable fucks. At least you see the humor in it.
>>
>>69112428
That's the second time kirk doesn't have any writing credits. (after kill em all)
But the fact that he couldn't come up with any idea is pretty strange.
>>
>>69112532
Right? You'd think he'd retain some of the shit he had on that phone.
>>
>>69090393
>come crawling faster
>obey your master
>your life burns faster

>scanning the scene in the city tonight
>looking for you to start up a fight

>blackened is the end
>winter it will send
>throwing all you see
>into obscurity

Dude, what's your point? Hetfield has been writing rhyming pairs for 35 years, not since ReLoad.

Also, if you're expecting I Disappear and UII please just...go.

We should all be grateful Hetfield no longer oversings or yodels. Eck.
>>
>>69112532
I think he was pretty bummed out by it, and songwriting/production was already in progress for him to feel spontaneously inspired.

I'd wager these guys write their best riffs at 1am in the hotel room, which Kirk mentioned. I don't think they could write under pressure in a studio. Different strokes and whatnot.
>>
why would anyone still care about metallica
>>
>>69110828
The problem is that people take "metalhead" or whatever as part of their identity, or even as their whole identity. So you get people hating on "low man's lyric" or whatever not because it's a bad song, but rather because it's "not metal", and not metal = sucks.

Like you mention, more balanced people might consume metal as part of their musical diet, but they also listen to a bunch of other stuff, maybe not diametrically opposite like disney soundtracks, but they're not stuck on metalhead mode.

So yeah it's fine to dislike Metallica, but do it for the right reasons (that Lars sucks live, that James hogs the creative process and doesn't let Kirk or Rob/Jason contribute that much, if at all, etc) not because they're mainstream and thus "not metal"
>>
>>69112657
>why would anyone still care about one of the most influential bands of all time and probably the gateway band to taking music seriously for many anons
I mean, it's understandable not to like them or even hate their music, but it's pretty obvious why people still care.
>>
File: wheeze.png (57KB, 461x320px) Image search: [Google]
wheeze.png
57KB, 461x320px
>>69112706
>one of the most influential bands of all time
They did exactly two things: Influence mediocre thrash bands, and influence mediocre groove bands. Their last worthwhile album came out in 1988 and it wasn't exactly good. They're an overrated, inflated band that has survived oblivion more thanks to promotion than talent and you ate that promotion, hook sink and liner.

Why would anyone still care about memetallica?
>>
>>69112759
You must be a joy at parties.
>>
>>69112759
Even Endtroducing has a Metallica sample, their influence goes beyond genres m8.
>>
>>69112759
>why would anyone still care about a band with a good marketing team
your own words
>>
Spit out the bone is legit one of the best songs they have produced in a good long while.

The album has a couple other good songs, but holy SHIT does this album take you on a serious rollercoaster ride of laughably bad mixed with some moments of really good. The lyrical content of some songs are so hilariously bad that you end up mentally cringing, intro song i'm fucking looking at you.

Halo on fire while being a good song also has really fucking bad moments.

If somebody would grow some nuts and tell james to fuck off with his lyrics and get a writer in there and these faggots would actually allow some editing this could have been a seriously good album.
>>
>>69113016
Using 'cringe' when describing anything. Heh.
>>
>>69112782
ad hominem ad infinitum

:^)
>>
>>69113039
>Heh.

Watch out, this guy owns a katana.
>>
>>69113039
How is that not a legitimate complaint? It's so awkwardly bad that you want to cringe.
>>
>>69113085
The bike or the weapon?
>>
>>69094245
>>69094318

Lulu is legitimately a fantastic album when taken outside of Metallica discography
>>
>>69100248
My last few farts have sounded more inspired than last few Megadeth albums, and I love their old stuff. Honestly don't know what happened there, but damn they fucking suck now
>>
>>69114039
I guess I just don't get Lou Reed. Lou Reed, singing, talking, I don't know what that is, killed it for me. I really like the sound of the whole instrumental thing. Can't get behind the lyrics either.
>>
This album would sound better if James wrote all less parts as well. What happened Kirk? Sounds like he's literally regressed into a worse player as the years have gone on.
>>
>>69114088
Megadeth has been on a constant roller coaster to me. I don't really dislike anything of what they put out recetly to the point I can't stand listening to it, but don't find myself coming to these last albums that much now. Had to let Super Collider sink for a pair of years before giving it a proper listen.. I did like Dystopia a lot tho, don't know if Kiko's inclusion to the band has something to do with it or not but the band sounds energized in a way I haven't feel in years.
>>
>>69114096
I'm a big lou reed fan as well, so I guess enjoying both of them helps get it more. I can see why it's not some peoples cup of tea, but the hate for it was overwhelming, just because it was metallica doing something outside of the metal genre. Props to them for pushing themselves musically, not a lot of bands would have taken that project.
>>
>>69114175
For me their last half-decent album was System has failed. I can still name half the tracks off that. Latest stuff just sounds super bland to my ears, no tracks really stand out.
>>
>>69090393
Bait
>>
>>69114187
They got to do something cool with someone they admired and they seem to have had a lot of fun with it too. It's kind of sad that it ended with the kind of reception it did.

>>69114242
System got some pretty cool stuff, Endgame I liked a lot back when it came out but now I'm not really liking the vocals on it that much and just end up listening to the same 4 tracks and then moving on to other stuff.

I wasn't feeling Dystopia singles at first, I don't know what the fuck they added to Mustaine voice on it that sounds fucking horrible but the guitar work on it is pretty amazing. At least it got me pretty hooked for now.
>>
>>69096747
You described what I like about Metallica in the best way possible. Sadly, I was born in the eighties and couldn't appreciate them at their best.

The only (half-assed) attempt return to form was "All nightmare long", in my opinion.
>>
how about you guys just listen to GOOD new thrash coming out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al7rzFSjdgs
>>
>>69105850
Damn son
>>
>>69105850
WTF I like this. Damn son.
>>
>>69112432
Not sure...
>>
>>69114636
>>69114650
check their album Manifest Decimation, their new albums coming out soon
>>
>>69114666
>>69112432
Nah. It's deffinetely a song about not doing the wrong kind of drugs.
>>
>>69090393
>songs like Fixxxer, I Disappear and Unforgiven II are generally what I consider to "be Metallica"
Someone put this faggot out of his misery
>>
>>69086488
It's worse than Saint Anger.
>>
>>69114718
I'M MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOU
>>
>>69108098
Dead was a Metallica fan.
>>
>>69114718
>It's worse than Saint Anger.
Fuck it all and fucking no regrets... right?
>>
>>69114686
get the fuck out with your shitty music, man
>>
>>69086488
>why the main 12 songs needed to be on two discs though
file size can get ridiculous on professional music production
>>
>>69114933
>in a thread about the new metallica album
>talking about other people liking shitty music
k
>>
>>69098964
>watch at 1.25x speed
genius
>>
>>69114959
>being salty in a Korean cartoon website
wew
>>
>>69115101
>implying im salty at all
>>
>>69115219
humans have salt in them, in fact, it's essential for the nervous system and acidity balance.
>>
>>69108889
Lars never had any technical skill as a drummer although back when he cared, he could at least bring the energy live.
>>
>>69114950
Audio files of the same type/settings/bitrate always have the same size per minute. A completely silent 3-min track will have the same size as a 3-min track with music as long as they were rendered with the same settings. You literally have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>69100248
That cover is pretty badass.
>>
>>69112321
>That 80s scooped Boogie sound wouldn't work here

The riffs they had on MOP were basically an update of 70s Page/Iommi funk riffs, but faster and not bluesy. But you could obviously see the influences from 70s AOR on the classic Metallica albums.
>>
>>69115276
>implying im human
>>
>>69114718
St. Anger had some sweet riffs. The Unnamed Feeling and Sweet Amber are underrated tracks.

I didn't care about the lack of solos or the piccolo snare, but the album would have been much better if they had opted for a doom sound instead of a numetal sound.
>>
>>69112321
Then again, I wouldn't expect an album released in 2016 to sound like Load either. The crunchy grunge guitar sound on there would be every bit as out of date.
>>
>>69112582
He should see how metallica are recording their demos.
>>
>>69112782
He goes to patrician parties dude.
>>
>>69115430
St. Anger songs are actually cool played live. But jesus christ lord the studio version is just horrible.
>>
>>69115694
Except they didn't play any of them live after 2004 because they found them boring to play.
>>
>>69115732
I think they still play St. Anger, I saw a recent concert on youtube with them playing it and James saying "a truly misunderstood album" or something along the lines. I think they're very aware that the fans hated it and just pulled out that excuse.

For a "sellout" band, they kinda have some integrity left, as they never altered any of the songs while playing them live to make them sound more "metallica" friendly.
>>
>>69115832
>>69115732
They played some songs during the 30 anniversary thing I think. There's this too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCy9ZRxAAU
>>
>>69115832
>For a "sellout" band, they kinda have some integrity left, as they never altered any of the songs while playing them live to make them sound more "metallica" friendly.

Dontcha know they never play the slow midsection of The Four Horsemen and MOP live and they cut out the second half of the Blackened lead break because Lars is too shitty to pull it off.
>>
>>69116021
Why do they cut that one of section of Battery anyway? It makes no sense.
>>
>>69116021
I was talking about the St Anger songs. They did play the whole four horsemen recently on that dehaan show along with the rest of Kill em All.
>>
Blackened was only played live in its entirety early in the '88 tour and then they dropped the first half of the solo because Lars sucks.
>>
>>69115377
Agreed, you can hear the definite progression, even with the new album the elements are there.

>>69115547
I have to agree with you too.
It's like people thinking the new album should sound like the Black album as a yardstick. But if you were to release an album sounding like that today, you'd be laughed at. It'd be horribly outdated.
Nothing wrong with contemporising one's sound. New Metallica sounds nothing like old Metallica, and that's a good thing.
>>
>>69115639
Haha the old "wa-na-na-" demos in Lars' dungeon? Classic Hetfield.
>>
>>69116096
I mean, TBA sounds like 1991 and there's no way around that.
>>
So many nips in their vids

Kino
>>
>>69114718
How hard did you have to tip that fedora to come up with that crazy zinger?
>>
>>69116251
Yes, it is a classic, but for its time.

Much like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon or Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, there's a certain timing that works for classic albums....right place right time.
>>
Why was Spit out the Bone twist so shit?
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.