[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can people listen to classical? It all sounds the same.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1475660615615.jpg (32KB, 250x333px) Image search: [Google]
1475660615615.jpg
32KB, 250x333px
How can people listen to classical? It all sounds the same.
>>
why are gou shitposting wi th iu so much what did she do to deserve this
>>
>>69062171
I wonder if anyone has ever said this unironically
>>
that's all music
>>
egos need to be stroked
>>
>>69062171
only the old "mozart faggotry" ones.

try modern classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCxDZaWRAvo&t=155s
>>
>>69062192
A lot of 18th century music "sounds the same" but that's because those were produced with commercial interests in mind. So people whipped out symphonies left and right, knowing that no one was seriously going to pay attention to them anyway.
>>
>>69062171
Classical music just means music that is passed down through compositions. It's very incestuous, and in fact there are actually only a few compositions that were shared around and altered very slightly.

Folk music suffers from similar problems. In fact, it's only around the advent of popular music (The Beatles) that artists really started to innovate and write new music.

The reason it's called popular music is because of the sheer population of people who became involved in music. It was the commercialization of music that allowed for this. Music was made to be sold rather than to be shared with specific people. That meant anyone could buy it and be influenced by it, and then make their own music. Instead of a few old men sharing century old compositions with each other, you had people all over the world contributing to music, developing a tapestry of sound. That's why you get such a diverse array of genres, from blues rock to indie rock.

A lot of confused plebs think they are somehow superior for listening to classical. I think it's the length of the songs that confuses them into thinking they are listening to something different each time, when in fact the tracks are mostly identical. Very few classical musicians even compose their own music, but in popular music you even get music from people who don't have access to studio-level production. There are a lot of lo-fi bedroom projects and garage bands.
>>
>>69062337
this post is so wrong i'm not even going to waste my time explaining why
>>
>>69062337
This pretty much. Many people forget that music, like any art form, is and always has been rife with cliches and that includes classical music as well. The only difference is that hundreds of years "weeded out" the more boring works (although mysteriously, Pachabel's Canon remains alive) which gives off the impression that it's somehow better than popular music of today.
Studying classical music is extremely rewarding, but the elitist attitude that somehow is associated with the music is a thousand times irritating and turns many people off from it.
>>
>>69062378
Really? I don't see anything wrong with it.
>>
>>69062459
I mean, in classical you even had deaf people writing a lot of the music (can't remember the guy's name). These people knew music theory, but without listening to the music or making it as they went along with guitar in hand they could never truly "feel" it. It was only with popular music that feeling became more important than basic theory.
>>
>>69062501
There was one deaf guy and his name was Beethoven. And Beethoven was an anomaly anyway but for different reasons.
>only with popular music that feeling became more important than basic theory
Debussy "jumpstarted" the trend, but the trend of preferring emotional content over theory truly originated sometime after Beethoven's death.
>>
>>69062564
Nah, blues artists were the first to use feeling, it was a big influence on what became rock music. I can't remember if blues was folk or classical (or jazz?), but the point still stands.
>>
>>69062501
I know this is bait but there's no way you can listen to this and say it has no feeling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPAiH9XhTHc
>>
>>69062782
"There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. I love music passionately. And because l love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it." - Debussy

Listen to his Prelude to the Afternoon of a Fawn and Three Nocturnes. They reject the functional harmony of 18th-19th century music.
>>
>>69062782
>>69062874
Upon further review, we might be thinking of two independent sources of the trend with different influences on different genres of music. Fancy that.
>>
>>69063021
Unlikely The progression of music was completely linear until popular music. The Beatles were the last artist to influence everyone that came after them, it's only from the late 60s onwards that there started to be independent branches of influence.
>>
File: 1478753008062.jpg (15KB, 476x345px) Image search: [Google]
1478753008062.jpg
15KB, 476x345px
>this thread
Read a fucking book
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.