[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point of the conductor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: Mahr-Muzik-shot.jpg (197KB, 576x382px) Image search: [Google]
Mahr-Muzik-shot.jpg
197KB, 576x382px
What's the point of the conductor?
>>
his baton
>>
gives the audience something to look at
>>
/mu/ is shit tier now
>>
File: 1474958166567.jpg (165KB, 439x550px) Image search: [Google]
1474958166567.jpg
165KB, 439x550px
>>68979844
>>
keeping the tempo would be my guess.
>>
>>68979842
There is none actually.
>>
>>68979842
he's like the main reason why and what orchestra is playing
>>
Leading the rythm and lettin know the players how to play their instrument
>>
>>68979842

What's the point of a director in a movie
>>
>>68980029
only correct answer here

>>68979898
>>68979971
>>68979987
>>68979844
>>68980019
Underages gtfo
>>
>>68979844
kek
>>
>>68980141
tempo anon is right tho.
>>
The musicians play their instruments, the conductor plays the musicians
>>
File: edge.png (22KB, 217x225px) Image search: [Google]
edge.png
22KB, 217x225px
>>68980320
>>
>>68979842
To conduct
>>
File: What a conductor does.png (84KB, 1045x1469px) Image search: [Google]
What a conductor does.png
84KB, 1045x1469px
>>68979842
Firstly needs to know the piece being played inside out - he needs to be able to spot a single wrong note among 100 people, and single out exactly who played the note - I've seen this happen in rehearsal
manages time in rehearsals - work on the hard parts, glaze over easy parts.
balances the piece with dynamic changes if necessary
detects and corrects any mistakes in the playing
cues in players who have had long rests
sets up the tempo of the piece at the start
indicates what measure of the bar it currently is with the right hand in real time
simultaneously indicates the overall dynamics with the left hand in real time

See pic related for what a conductor has to do in a regular piece
>>
CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM
>>
>>68979842
to put his hands in the air, wave 'em around like he just don't care
>>
>>68980728
This, also ensuring uniformity in phrasing and articulation

>>68981606
Also this
>>
Basically put, musicians are sometimes put into a scenario whereby they don't really have lots of time to prepare for a piece, they don't really know how the damn thing flows. So it's up to the conductor to dictate how they should play at this specific time, should they play louder here or whatnot. Also it helps keep everyone in sync, imagine trying to execute a rit without a conductor, you basically have to pray that everyone else besides you have the same rhythm sense as you. It's easy to just look at the conductor in that aspect.

>inb4 why not use a drum set
>inb4 why don't jazz musicians have conductors
>>
>>68980728
That's pretty cool
>>
desu except for very large orchestras I always thought he was there more for the audience to get a better sense of the rhythm and where to direct its attention than for the benefit of the musicians themselves.
>>
Honestly i played first violin in an orchestra for a while and i never paid any attention to our conductor i just knew all the songs off by heart and didn't really understand what she did.. oops
>>
>>68981970
"desu" is a copula verb that goes at the end of sentences
>>
>>68981990
It's a filter, I can't help it. And to the better of my knowledge english grammar doesn't forbid one from beginning a phrase with "to be honest".
>>
>>68982010
I'm just teasing
>>
>>68980320
But who plays the conductor?
>>
>>68982030
The composer of the piece
>>
>>68982055
>implying that if you're the only one willing to conduct the piece you composed, you played yourself
Damn...
>>
>>68981606
>>
File: laughing frauds.png (379KB, 494x388px) Image search: [Google]
laughing frauds.png
379KB, 494x388px
>>68979844
>>
>>68981606
Cause if he don't care, then we don't care.
>>
File: haha.gif (2MB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
haha.gif
2MB, 400x240px
>>68979844
>>
What's the point of the semiconductor?
>>
>>68982816
They're more direct than regular conductors.
>>
>>68980145
>>68982774
>>68982812

that was not fucking funny at all
>>
>>68980728
When can you not hear the trombones playing a semi-tone off?
And does an orchestra really give feedback? Wouldn't that be a sign of a bad conductor?
>>
>>68983188
>that was not fucking funny at all
There's nothing funnier than an unfunny joke.
>>
>>68983394
Sometimes players will suggest things that might work better, certain positions. This is usually done inside the section away from the conductor, but often there can be conversation between the principle of a section and the conductor.

But yeah you're right its very rare for a performer to "give feedback" to a conductor for a number of reasons: The conductor should know enough that no feedback is needed, and the players are pretty good at solving problems on their own.

If the orchestra was playing some serial/12 tone piece it can become difficult to hear an incorrect note unless you're quite familiar with the piece.
>>
>>68984471
>But yeah you're right its very rare for a performer to "give feedback" to a conductor for a number of reasons: The conductor should know enough that no feedback is needed, and the players are pretty good at solving problems on their own.
I imagine this varies. Like, if a section are just playing straightforward enough basslines, there's not going to be much clarification needed in most cases but if but if you're a soloist in a concerto it'd probably be weird if there wasn't a lot of communication between them and the conductor.
>>
>>68979842
They usually haven't even studied music actually. A lot of them actually have down syndrome.
>>
>>68985190
>They usually haven't even studied music actually
the opposite is true: they tend to have at least a music degree, be extremely well read on music and spend their spare time silently beating through scores.
>>
>>68979842

Human metronome
>>
>>68982377
Lel
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.