[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the obsession with this? This is probably one of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: hamilton-broadway.jpg (333KB, 1200x628px) Image search: [Google]
hamilton-broadway.jpg
333KB, 1200x628px
What is the obsession with this? This is probably one of the worst things I have ever heard.
>>
You don't like musicals or hip hop
>>
>>68911779

I do like musicals and hip hop. So I figured I'd give this a listen especially since it was popular.

This shit is fucking corny man.
>>
>>68911831
it's a musical, of course it's corny
did you really expect it to be meek mill or something
>>
>>68911766
Flavour of the month gimmick musical being pushed by marketing hype. It will die down and be forgotten soon because the music is weak, like Rent.
>>
>>68912044
this 2bh
it's hip hop for people who don't like hip hop
>>
>>68912132
this, sent it to my history buff friends who loved it and don't give a shit about rap or music.
>>
>>68912257

They can't be that great of history buffs if they let most of the inaccurate information that it had not bother them. It is less educational than schoolhouse rock.
>>
>>68912750
You obviously wouldn't be using it as supporting evidence in a thesis on constitutional ratification.

They like the stylised interpretations of the characters, not the historic accuracy of the work.
>>
>>68912044
Rent lasted really long in its original run. Like nearly a decade.
>>
>>68912044
>The musical made its Off-Broadway debut at The Public Theater in February 2015, where its engagement was sold out.[2] The show transferred to Broadway in August 2015 at the Richard Rodgers Theatre. On Broadway, it received enthusiastic critical reception and unprecedented advance box office sales.[3] In 2016, Hamilton received a record-setting 16 Tony nominations, winning 11, including Best Musical, and was also the recipient of the 2016 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album and the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. The prior Off-Broadway production of Hamilton won the 2015 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Musical as well as seven other Drama Desk Awards out of 14 total nominated categories.

Lol what a flavor of the month gimmick fad
>>
>>68911766
Same. Got to see it when it just came out with my high school when I was a senior. Complete waste of $50.
>>
>>68913592
>in 2015 I was a senior (17-18)
Aren't you a little young for 4chan
>>
File: Deebly Goncerned.jpg (82KB, 800x618px) Image search: [Google]
Deebly Goncerned.jpg
82KB, 800x618px
>>68913592
>senior in 2015
>>
>>68913627
>>68913617
You guys are fags

I was class of 2016 and I'm 19. This nigha is probably 20.

Stfu
>>
literally Epic Rap Battles Of History for theatre kids and dusty old New York Times columnists.
>>
It's only popular because there are a lot of black people in it.
It's really just ok.
Someone else made the comparison to rent and that's pretty much spot on. Music is totally uninspired, performances are just alright, but it's perfect for the news to talk about because it's inclusive.

On another note it's so frustrating for people to say Lin Manuel Miranda is an oppressed minority. Americans piss me off so much with this.
>latino does something they like
Opressed minority
>Latino does something they don't like
What's a Latino? He's cis white male scum
>>
>>68911766
I fuck with Daveed Diggs
>>
Musicals are the worst parts of music combined with the worst parts of theatre, and this is coming from someone who was involved with performance aspect of them for over a decade.
>>
reminder that the guy from clippng is in this
>>
>>68915203
Some musicals are pretty great though
I blame Andrew Lloyd Webber for fucking it all up
>>
What does everyone think of Spring Awakening?
>>
>>68915230
Look at the comments on any clipping./Daveed instagram post or YouTube video.

The Hamilton fanbase is awful.
>>
>>68915203
>involved with performance aspect of them

there's a reason nobody trusts fags
>>
>>68915291
Just looked on youtube not a lot of them and the ones that are there are all just saying they're upset they never heard of him before Hamilton
>>
>>68913617
>>68913627
just admit you're getting old
>>
>tfw friends with a bunch of theater majors so they never shut the fuck up about it

I don't even have anything personally against it but I'm ready for people not to cream themselves at the mention of it
>>
>>68912750
It's a musical, not a college paper. Things were changed to accommodate an entire person's life story being told on 2 hours.
>>
Because
>muh immigrants
>muh people of color playing white historical figures
>muh hip hop
>>
>>68913617
>thinking 17-18 is young for 4chan
Aren't you a little too old for 4chan?
>>
>>68912003
>it's a musical, of course it's corny
This, OP >>68911831. No, you do not like musicals.
>>
it's progressive, features niggers, and "smashes the white cishet patriarchy," so self-hating white tumblr girls and jackoff over it and award ceremony people can shower it with praise to appear like they're progressive too.
>>
I really don't get the hate for this, unless it's just for the sake of being contrarian and anti-hype. Yeah it's everywhere but if /mu/ was around in the 70s we'd be complaining that Jesus Christ Superstar was everywhere. I haven't seen the whole musical yet but every piece I catch I can't help but feel charmed.
I like it, fuck you.
>>
>>68917266
Hi, Tumblr!
>>
>>68917279
No, If I was tumblr i'd be quoting each line in all-caps
>>
File: hessofunkytopthat.gif (975KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
hessofunkytopthat.gif
975KB, 400x300px
>>68913562
There have been horrible movies, plays, and albums that have garnered massive acclaim at the time that are just largely forgotten now.
>Avatar
>The Greatest Show on Earth (best picture)
>Crash (best picture)
Yeah they were great at the time, but I can't even remember the last time anyone brought these movies up in a greatest films conversation.

This shit was and is popular for making New York liberals feel not as bad about themselves for accepting people of color bringing "hip hop" to broadway.
>>68915034
>>68912257
>>68912132
>>68912044
Exaccctly
>>
>>68917357
In 50 years if the majority of people and the media look back on hamilton as horrible then I will personally pay you half of all the money I own.
>>
>>68917462
>>68917357

I'll hold you to it. Not that I meant to say that it was horrible, I was just using Avatar and Greatest Show as extreme examples, and I'll admit Crash shouldn't have been on there.
Musical is a musical, some like it, some don't. I just don't think it's as groundbreaking as the media coverage of it has led us to believe is all. And I think people who wish to be perceived as liberal have something to gain by fawning over it.
>>
Hamilton feels like a scheme that Dennis from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia would think of.
>>
>>68911766
This explains pretty well why it's getting a lot of attention.

https://www.currentaffairs...run-our-country
>>
>>68920503
uhh, something's wrong with your link
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.