[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the most sucessful jazz pianist at rhythm/cadence- solos?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: John_Coltrane_-_Blue_Train.jpg (68KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
John_Coltrane_-_Blue_Train.jpg
68KB, 300x300px
/jazz general/ I guess
post what you've been diggin for 2016

>inb4 how do I into jazz
http://pastebin.com/y413BC7T
>>
Make an imgur album you mudshark
>>
>>68902298
Probably Art Tatum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaPeks0H3_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp4p7IzVbfc
>>
>>68902298
what do you mean rhythm/cadance?

in terms of modern pianists I think that Jamie Saft uses full chords in the strongest ways, but Mathew Shipp uses some very interesting rhythms. Myra Melford also has some good cadences
>>
>>68902298
what do you mean by rhythm/cadence solos?
>>
File: Monk.jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
Monk.jpg
5KB, 259x194px
Duh...
>>
>>68902453
>>68902454
Pianists that rely heavily on precise tempos and kind of "percusion"-wise solos as a main characteristic of their playing. Something like this guy has pointed out >>68902431
>>
>>68902623
almost every pianist uses percussive techniques in their solos
>>
File: Gershwin5.jpg (40KB, 400x527px) Image search: [Google]
Gershwin5.jpg
40KB, 400x527px
Classical composers did jazz better than jazz musicians. Discuss.
>>
>>68902777
fair enough, i was just wondering pianists who are very famous by that

>>68902869
wrong opinion. also jazz has nothing to do with classical
>>
>>68902869
how did he do jazz better?
>inb4 muh summertime
>>
>>68902869
Good luck getting the kind of people who would actually care to accept Gershwin as a classical composer.
>>
went to my first live jazz night tonight it was great but it did leave me questioning about whether there is anywhere jazz is still the scene like i want to dance and really go for it
>>
>>68903624
People never really danced to anything from bebop onwards so you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere that caters to dancing to more "modern" jazz. Most of that is played in clubs and the bigger acts tend to do sitting gigs as it's supposed to be a "listener's music" and also most of the fans are sextegenarians and older.
I'm sure you could probably find somewhere in New Orleans or something with a dixieland group playing in a more dancey setting but most of the people playing that sort of music are v. serious traditionalists so again, you'd probably need to do some looking around. I also don't imagine there are too many big bands carrying on Glenn Miller and co.'s dance hall tradition of the swing era. Which is kind of a shame really. I'd love to go to something like that.

>tldr: unless you feel like going to a lot of effort, just take a bunch of drugs and enjoy sitting and listening
>>
>>68904643
>I also don't imagine there are too many big bands carrying on Glenn Miller and co.'s dance hall tradition of the swing era
There are some still, I used to sub in a big band that played swing music at a dance studio once a month.

>>68903624
If you want to dance to swing music your best bet is to look for dance studios around you. There might not be any that host live bands but you never know. As the other guy said you're probably not going to find many places that advertise "live jazz" that are going to have music that's meant for dancing.
>>
>>68904847
>There are some still, I used to sub in a big band that played swing music at a dance studio once a month.
Plz describe, I don't think there's anything remotely like this where I live.
>>
>>68905415
It was a dance studio that taught dance lessons. Once a week they would have a dance party and they would bring in a live band to play the music. Each week of the month was a different kind of music. The first Saturday of the month was Swing night and they had a big band come in. They'd do a one hour dance lesson and then the band would play for a few hours and people would dance. That band wasn't that great, and it was mostly old guys playing for fun, but good practice reading big band charts.

Third Saturday of every month was salsa night and I played in a salsa band that played there once a month while people salsa danced.

I don't know what the other themed nights they had were or if they had live music for those or not.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.