[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think of The Who?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12

File: Tommy - The Who (1969).jpg (29KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Tommy - The Who (1969).jpg
29KB, 400x400px
What does /mu/ think of The Who?
>>
the who?
>>
>>68871240
yes.
>>
File: 1400x1400bb-100.jpg (2MB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1400x1400bb-100.jpg
2MB, 1400x1400px
>>68871278
yes?
>>
GOAT

>Pete Townshend is one of the best rock lyricists of all time
>they were possibly the best live rock act of all time at their peak
>did crazy things that shouldn't have even worked at all, but they did, like a guitarist who plays along to the rhythm section instead of vice versa
>invented the rock opera and the concept album
>were along with Led Zeppelin the pioneers of stadium rock
>>
>>68871303
Is pioneering stadium rock really a good thing though?
>>
>>68871311
Yes. Don't be a pretentious twat. Just like everything in music, there are good examples of it and bad examples. Just because something is big and popular and involves a bit production doesn't mean it's bad.
>>
>>68871311
Like it was their fault that Kiss and AC/DC happened.
>>
>>68871303
>were along with Led Zeppelin the pioneers of stadium rock
I would say that, from that era, Rolling Stones were more instrumental in pioneering stadium rock.

That being said, I generally agree with everything else you said.
>>
>>68871303
Also Pete was the first guy to integrate synthesizers into a rock song instead of just using them for sfx.
>>
>>68871133
Quadrophenia is GOAT tier. It's the perfect example of how you go big and do it well.

And Keith Moon was GOAT tier rock drummer.
>>
File: 1380840672955.jpg (273KB, 1979x1940px) Image search: [Google]
1380840672955.jpg
273KB, 1979x1940px
>>68871133

listened to Tommy all the way through on /mu/ years back and it was the best experience outside of a good thread this board has ever had, that and the Ziggy Stardust listen-along was good too.
>>
File: Dust_Bowl_Ballads.jpg (22KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
Dust_Bowl_Ballads.jpg
22KB, 300x299px
>>68871303
>Invented concept album
Uhh
>>
>>68871330
Give me some good stadium rock that isn't also classic rock, or at least came after The Who
>>
>>68871393
>folk
>music
pick one
>>
>>68871363
>And Keith Moon was GOAT tier rock drummer.
You either don't play the drums or you are joking, or you have awful taste in drumming. He just wasn't.
>>
>>68871402
>Give me some good stadium rock
>except it can't be any good stadium rock for no reason
Fuck off.
>>
"In an email exchange from 2002, music critic Robert Christgau was asked why he rated 'Who's Next' an A+ in his original 1971 review, but dropped it to an A- in his 'Consumer Guide to the 1970s'. Christgau answered "I recently sat down and listened to 'Who's Next' for the first time in a decade. I'd originally given it an A+, but later on, I dropped the rating slightly. This was after I'd seen how the band's later career unfolded. For a while, I came to almost despise The Who. It wasn't so obvious in 1971, but all their later excesses were evident on there, such as the synthesizer noodling, winding song structures, and Roger Daltrey's histrionic vocals. I still maintain that 'The Who Sell Out' was their one truly great album."
>>
>>68871432
There is a reason, the reason being that I have already heard most of classic rock.
>>
Everything from My Generation to Who Are You is GOAT! The Kenny Jones era was also good but it wasn't the same.

Nah! Let's just come right out and say it!
One doesn't need any Who albums after 1978!

They should've just called it a day when Keith passed away.
>>
File: SF Sorrow.jpg (80KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
SF Sorrow.jpg
80KB, 500x500px
>>68871393
I think he means the Rock Opera.
That's also not true (pic related), but it's more accurate
>>
>>68871476
It's Hard is nothing but a wrapper for a hit single. Even Roger Daltrey said that.
>>
>>68871545
Eminence Front is probably one of The Who's best though to be fair
>>
File: the-who-face-dances-compressed.jpg (126KB, 608x608px) Image search: [Google]
the-who-face-dances-compressed.jpg
126KB, 608x608px
>>68871545
Face Dances is great though. I feel like it tends to get tossed aside along with It's Hard as "post Who Are You garbage."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7l-98ZU_dM
>>
>>68871133
You mean The Band?
>>
https://youtu.be/Mdqv5xIsFLM
>>
Personal ranking of their studio albums for me:

> Quadrophenia
> Tommy
> Who Sell Out
> Who's Next
> My Generation
> A Quick One
> Who by the Numbers
> Who Are You
> Face Dances
> It's Hard
> Endless Wire

Though to be fair everything from My Generation to Who Are You is great. And face dances is pretty solid
>>
>>68871303
Didn't quite invent the concept album, nor the "rock opera", but they were among the earliest pioneers of it to be sure.

Agree with everything else.

Love the Who for their contributions to rock music and their talents even if their music doesn't always do it for me.
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
Face Dances [Warner Bros., 1981]

Keith Moon's death seems to have freed Pete Townshend of his obsession with mortality and the band he created. His new sex songs are stylish and passionate, the strongest he's written in a decade. Problem is, they sound forced coming from the aging pretty boy who mouths them. Which is just a reminder that mortality catches up to pretty boys faster than the rest of us. B

It's Hard [Warner Bros., 1982]

For years, Pete Townshend's operatic pretensions were so transparent that I wagered his musical ideas would never catch up to his lyrical ones. And I was right--both became more prolix at the same rate. This isn't quite as revolting as "All The Blind Chinamen Have Western Eyes", but between the synths, winding song structures, and book club poetry, it's the nearest thing to classic awful English art rock since Genesis discovered funk. Best track--"Eminence Front", in which Pete Townshend discovers funk. Just in time. Bye. C-
>>
I think a real understatement of The Who is how they pioneered playing with feedback my Generation, The Ox, and Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere are insanely far ahead of there time
>>
hate

a lot
>>
>>68873022
meant to put a period in between feedback and My Generation
>>
I think the reason The Who aren't that popular with dadrock fags is their era is because they didn't really have immediate, accessible pop hits like the Rolling Stones or Black Sabbath or Aerosmith or AC/DC.
>>
>>68872958
Why is this hack still alive?
>>
>>68873073
>>68872958
He's not wrong about It's Hard and Daltrey's delivery on Face Dances is pretty forced.
>>
Don't really care about them, boring ass music
>>
>>68871488
SF Sorrow isn't a rock opera. It's a concept album with a vague story to it. There's a big difference.
>>
>>68871346
fucking lol
>>
>>68871133
overrated trash desu. The Who sells out is alright, but they kickstarted everything wrong with "dad rock".
>>
>>68871133
Pretty good
>>
>>68871393
second. widely considered the first concept album
>>
>>68875267
No, that was Zeppelin. The Who pioneered more genres and styles than almost any other band.
>>
>>68875677
True, Zeppelin are far more cancerous because they appealed to normalfags while The Who are more popular with music geeks.
>>
>>68871133
Literally my favorite band.

People who think they are just overrated dad rock and only know them from Baba O'Riley are huge noobs.
>>
A bunch of dorks that named their whole band off their one hit single made famous from CSI
>>
>>68875824
As I said, the fact that The Who didn't have so many catchy pop jangles and they were a live more than a studio act. Bands known mostly for hit singles inevitably attract cancer.
>>
>>68872739
"Did you Steal My Money" is one of the worst songs i've ever heard
>>
>>68875824
Also the bands that Zeppelin influenced were generally horrible stadium butt/hairspray rock. The Who had a bigger influence on the punk/alternative scene.
>>
>>68876094
My dad said he really didn't know any Who fans when he was a kid, but everyone was into the Stones, Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, and Jethro Tull. He didn't know any Black Sabbath fans either.
>>
>>68876037
Prob the worst Who song imo. But at least Face Dances has You Better You Bet and Another Tricky Day. Don't Let Go the Coat is alright
>>
>>68876174
>>68876094
And Sabbath influenced everyone, both buttrockers and alternafags.
>>
>>68875870
Or.. y'know... they have.. different opinions?

Baba O'Riley is shit though imo, Going Mobile is my fav song by them
>>
>>68876468
It's one thing to not like them, but I'm referring to the people who write them off entirely as being that one band who wrote Baba O'Riley.

Not sure how you could love Going Mobile and not also love Baba O'Riley though.
>>
>>68876468
>>68876552
Baba O'Riley is a fantastic song. The idea of taking somebody's vital statistics and converting them into arpeggio'd synthesiser tracks and using that as the basis for a neo-classical-influenced pop song is fucking genius, especially for 1970 when Townshend did the demos (if he'd released them at the time he'd probably have become as big a figure in the electronic scene as Klaus Schulze).
>>
>>68876552
Yeah, don't really get it either. Maybe it's a grower, dunno.
>>
>>68876632
I used to dislike for being so overplayed but is grown on me. Song is Over is still my fav off Whos Next
>>
Heard Who's Next. Absolutely shit.
Heard Live at Leeds. Much more soulful and intense, but the lyrics where kinda dragging it down.

What albums are closer to Leeds and further apart from Next?
>>68876632
The second half still sounds like cheese. Digested cheese.
>>
>>68876723
My Generation, Meaty, Beaty, Big, and Bouncy
>>
>>68871133
The Who Sell Out is their best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VnrLRo3Luo
>>
>>68876676
See I've never had it overplayed (in fact I'd never heard it before I bought their greatest hits CD as a kid). Not a big fan of Song Is Over though, would've been a bummer of an ending after Won't Get Fooled again if the Lifehouse tracklisting stuck.

Honestly I think all of their albums before By Numbers was fantastic in its own way. My Generation was great R&B/proto-punk, A Quick One had the first prog rock song ever, Sell Out was just a perfect comic concept album, Tommy was this big explosive Wagnerian rock opera, Who's Next had all the synthesizer experiments and then Quadrophenia perfected the form.
>>
>>68876780
Totally understand youre feeling on Song is Over, i'm kinda glad lifehouse was aborted and made Who's Next.

And spot on for the second paragraph. Quad is my fav but all of those albums are amazing. Who by the Numbers I have a soft spot for because of Slip Kid.
>>
>>68876776
It's a shame the studio version was such a 'nerfed' version of Pete's original demo, which was like 9 minutes and had way more sections.
>>
>>68876844
Didn't know there was an alternative version

Can you give me a youtube link?
>>
>>68871240
>>68871278
>>68871286
Fuck you. Everytime I go to reddit I end up angry becausw of shitty comments like these. Fuck you. Go to reddit
>>
>>68876916
It's not on YouTube but it's on Townshend's album 'The Genuine Scoop'.

It's funny actually, lots of bands at the time were guilty of padding out a single album's worth of material to a double album, but The Who did the exact opposite, twice.
>>
>>68877054
thanks anon
>>
>>68877054
Its also amazing that Townshend preserved all the demos that he did. Really gives insight into his songwriting
>>
the Who were a great band...Pete was a great producer- had create vision and took his Mod angst made it count...His guitar playing was decent- became the power chord king...Live at Leeds is practically a metal album...
>>
>>68871303
Even Sinatra did a concept album...
>>
>>68871346
What about Keith Emerson, King Crimson?
>>
>>68877109
Yeah, definitely. It's just a shame that in many cases the demos were far more adventurous than the final product.
>>
>>68871331
I´d blame Slade more for Kiss
>>
>>68877247
Emerson played his synths like a classical pianist. Townshend played his like an engineer. Same year, 1970. Both were probably doing it at the same time, but they had very different methods.
>>
>>68877302
Id say he played it more like a jazz pianist
>>
Lifehouse is best who album, anyone got a patrician tracklist for it?
>>
>>68877400
Mine
>>
>>68877466
While I'm at it, here's my Sell Out tracklisting.
>>
>>68877466
>Music Must change
>Sister disco
>Who are You
>1971 Lifehouse

Fucking Kill yourself
>>
File: Virtually high five me boi.jpg (63KB, 600x599px) Image search: [Google]
Virtually high five me boi.jpg
63KB, 600x599px
>>68877054
Finally found a download off of some shitty blogspot

It's pretty good
>>
>>68877616
Jokes on you, all those are taken from Townshend's original Lifehouse demos.
>>
>>68873057
you joking?
they had twelve top ten singles
>>
Bargain is easily my favorite Who song.
>>
I tend to like their early stuff better
it feels more organic and like they were having fun with it
The Kids are Alright, Pictures of Lily, and I Can't Explain are probably my favorite songs
>>
>>68878366
So sad about us is criminally underrated
>>
It's too bad Daltrey peaked as a vocalist in the late 80s-early 90s long after they'd passed their relevance as a band.
>>
>>68878876
Got anything to back that up?
>>
>>68877491
Link this plz
>>
File: 81dWUePuUsL._SL1433_.jpg (334KB, 1433x1425px) Image search: [Google]
81dWUePuUsL._SL1433_.jpg
334KB, 1433x1425px
My dad loves them and I grew up listening to them and learning about them, so they'll always have a place in my heart. They even have some Great songs (I Can See For Miles, Substitute). However, if I'm gonna put on a dadcore album, its going to be pic relate. Sorry dad.
>>
>>68879307
I never really cared for The Doors
sure I had that two disc greatest hits album that every high schooler has but so much of their stuff sounds the same to me
I'm sure they were fantastic to see live back in the day though
I remember reading an interview with Morrison's dad where he says that he didn't think Jim was a very good singer but he was a hell of a showman
>>
>>68879236
I've got it on Soulseek.
>>
>>68871133
Early 60's stuff > Later 70's stuff
>>
>>68879236
Here, I got this from a sharethread archive

The Who Sell Out-
http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/Ee6ZzgnK/file.html
>>
>>68879420
>I remember reading an interview with Morrison's dad where he says that he didn't think Jim was a very good singer but he was a hell of a showman

So was David Lee Roth.
>>
>>68871388
DELETE THIS
>>
Pete isn't actually a pedo, right? I mean, he definitely had a fucked up childhood and shit but I just don't want to believe it.
>>
>>68871133
prog without the prog
>>
>>68871133
Most of their albums were forgettable, though Tommy was the closest to greatness they got, S.F. Sorrow was better

That said, Baba O'Riley is a fucking classic song, the only one they had though
>>
File: caat.jpg (48KB, 365x444px) Image search: [Google]
caat.jpg
48KB, 365x444px
>>68881249
The story of Tommy didn't make much sense

Tommy was born normal, saw the murder, and his parents convince him he's deaf, dumb, and blind?

It had some good tracks, though
>>
>>68879420

Try the album I posted if you haven't. The Doors are sort of hit or miss, but that album is fucking amazing.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.