[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grateful Dead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: KowiUPSf.jpg (55KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
KowiUPSf.jpg
55KB, 512x512px
I want to get into these guys but I have no idea where to start. What are the essential GD albums?
>>
the first like 8 studio albums to start, then you go into their live shit
>>
>>68870116
american beauty
shakedown street
workingman's dead
wake of the flood
in that order
>>
>>68870116
jump right into live/dead

or just listen to Terrapin Station on youtube, you should get it pretty quick after that
>>
Live/Dead and Europe '72 are really good tasters if you wanna see if you'll like the band but the live shows are where it's at. Some of the studio albums like American Beauty and Anthem of the Sun are really good too but for the most part, The Dead hadn't a clue what they were doing in the studio and found it hard to recreate the energy and level of interplay they'd get out of performing and improvising live.
>>
>>68870116
apparently their albums are all trash and the fanboys only listen to them live where they are overrated and mediocre. avoid them.
>>
Figure out what kind of music you enjoy first as The Grateful Dead cover quite a bit of ground.

Many will recommend Workingman's Dead and American Beauty as a starting point but that actually turned me OFF to them at first. (I wasn't into folksy C&W stuff yet) I think the Skull and Roses is a good place to start as it has a lot of variety of styles. (DON'T start w/ Europe 72 like many recommend! You'll only be ready for that AFTER listening to Skull and Roses for an extended period of time!) I like the early garage stuff myself like the first album and Birth of The Grateful Dead. Once you figure out what you like many will recommend some good starting points. (One shouldn't dive head first into the live tapes until they've become familiar with the band/music)
>>
>>68870112
test
>>
>>68870116
Listen to their studio Records from 1967-1977ish, listen to their three classic live albums (Live/Dead, Skull & Roses, Europe '72) and then after that I would look up soundboard recordings of good or notable shows they played. Every live era of the band is worth listening to, but people mostly have preferences.
>>
>>68870116
If you are a normal person listen to american beauty first
>>
>>68872389
This, but if you're kind of a weirdo, try Anthem of the Sun. That and their self titled first album were the ones that made it click for me.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.