[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post legit music genuises >pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 16

File: 1470533338046.jpg (481KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
1470533338046.jpg
481KB, 1000x667px
Post legit music genuises
>pic related
>>
>>68857862
Go back to your containment thread, scum.
>>
File: 1478155218101.png (6KB, 377x154px) Image search: [Google]
1478155218101.png
6KB, 377x154px
>>68857914
>>
File: 1458443677028.gif (2MB, 390x220px) Image search: [Google]
1458443677028.gif
2MB, 390x220px
>>68857862
>whisper sings over Casio presets
>musical genius
>>
That's a cute boy
>>
File: Davey.jpg (1MB, 890x890px) Image search: [Google]
Davey.jpg
1MB, 890x890px
Well there's this guy.
>>
>>68858762
>implying she used Casio keyboards
>implying she used presets
>implying she whispered all the time
>implying you listened to her music
>>
>>68857862
SHE IS A HACK

SHE DOESN'T FOLLOW THE RULES
>>
>>68857862
She's of middling talent, certainly not a genius. Go back to your containment thread.
>>
>>68859096
>pleb detected
>>
>>68858762
Powerful closet homosexual joe rogan
>>
File: 930r93cr.jpg (254KB, 453x557px) Image search: [Google]
930r93cr.jpg
254KB, 453x557px
>>68857862
>>
>>68857862
Holy shit didn't know she played guitar
>>
File: david.jpg (95KB, 800x964px) Image search: [Google]
david.jpg
95KB, 800x964px
>>
>>68857862
you misspelled marketing genius op.

have fun being a braindead consumerist pawn
>>
File: 0102_mozart_001.jpg (36KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
0102_mozart_001.jpg
36KB, 500x375px
>>
>>68862367
it's sad that grimesfags have the audacity to put these two in the same category
>>
>>68862274
>you misspelled marketing genius op.
She's a marketing genius and a music genius. This is not negociable.

>have fun being a braindead consumerist pawn
(You) better check out her biography before saying such crap. This artist started from the bottom of the music biz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7rM67NPhZ8 She was first signed to a rudimentary and small indie label, Arbutus. One of the A&Rs of the famous label 4AD literally ran back to her room to email her boss her record.
>>
>>68862274
>Who Says Girls Can't Find Music? We Talked to the Female A&R Who Signed Grimes

>Because of the internet, there’s so much information all the time. It’s not about when you hear about someone, it’s about when they grab your attention so hard you can’t ignore it anymore. With Grimes, I was already aware of her, she’d made two albums and an EP. I was on my way to Pop Montreal, and I met her manager at the time, who ran the label she was on, and found out that they were looking for a partnership, someone that they could work with outside of Canada. Her music at that point was not obviously commercial, so they were talking to independent labels. There were a lot who really liked her, but I remember Claire saying we were pretty much the only ones who would take Visions and put it out just as it was, other labels apparently asked for her to rework it with a producer.

>The other thing I would say about Grimes is that there was so much happening around her at that time that I assumed she was already working with a bigger label. The first time I went to see her play and I was kicking myself for missing that opportunity. It was the best show I’d seen for a new artist at that time. The next day I met her manager and they said they were looking for partners and I literally ran back to my room to email my boss her record. What I’m trying to say is that you don’t need a label anymore to get things started, a good label will enhance what you are already doing. By the time Claire was signed, she was already releasing records on a small imprint, touring and doing interviews, and she had a visual presence. These days, a label has the most impact if you’ve already got the wheels in motion before they’ve got involved.

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/who-says-girls-cant-find-music-jane-abernethy-tuneyards-grimes

Have fun being a brainwashed bigot.
>>
>>68862367
>>68862402
Of course. Could Mozart do something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsbiyvpel54 ? Stop being a brainwashed idiot and think for a moment.
>>
>>68862485
she is not a music genius. saying something like that is seriously disrespectful to music as an art form and to anyone who has actually taken the time to become a real musician. she knows how to arpeggiate basic major and minor chords over a 4/4 beat for 3-5 minutes. that's it. she's just regurgitating what every other pop musician has been doing for decades.

listen to this >>68862367
he was an actual musical genius. learn the difference you colossal idiot.
>>
File: no hope.jpg (80KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
no hope.jpg
80KB, 766x960px
>>68862575
fuck this website.
>>
>>68860726
>being surprised at grimes' endless talents
we're four albums in senpai, have you not learned your lesson yet?
>>
>>68862591
You're an immense pleb. Grimes did a much more emotional, layered and beautiful music than Mozart. Just because media told you that Mozart is one of the best ever it doesn't meant he really is. Music is not just a bunch of notes, but actual sounds. Mozart sounds like most classical composers (fairly boring), Grimes sounds like herself. She has an unique sound.

Music evolved since Mozart, ffs. Sad that /mu/ is incredibly conservative.
>>
File: Tori-Amos.jpg (77KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Tori-Amos.jpg
77KB, 600x600px
That's not Tori Amos

> Her older brother and sister took piano lessons, but Amos didn't need them. From the time she could reach the piano, she taught herself to play: when she was two, she could reproduce pieces of music she had only heard once, and, by age three, she was composing her own songs. She has described seeing music as structures of light since early childhood, an experience consistent with chromesthesia

>At five, she became the youngest student ever admitted to the preparatory division of the Peabody Conservatory of Music.She studied classical piano at Peabody from 1968 to 1974
>>
>>68862735
>Music evolved since Mozart
Hahaha, no
>>
>>68862735
you're not even worth arguing with. you've made it abundantly clear how little you actually know about music.

go be an uneducated troll in your containment thread.
>>
>>68862735
>Grimes did a much more emotional, layered and beautiful music than Mozart

Toppest of all keks
>>
>>68857862
I know some of you grimesfans are really honest about your Ricardo-Lopez-tier fanatism, but I still wonder if all of you are actually serious. I mean, in all these months masturbating over her what you do is provoke hatred toward her, instead of admiration. I actually quite like Visions and enjoy some of Art Angels, but man, come on. You ugly faggots are so desperate that you cling to a quirky synthpop act just because she is ugly and somehow think you have a chance with her. I know /mu/ is a piece of shit, but everyday it gets worse and worse because of grimesfans
>>
>>68862735
>>
>>68862792
>being such a conservative snob
You're forgetting all the innovations that technology brought to music. Synths for example. No matter how hard you try, you couldn't make a song like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE with an orchestra (like classical music) and to sound the same. The fucking plebs dismiss her music as just pop when it's much more than that. As I said, more notes =/= better. Just because it has more notes (more complex) it doesn't mean it's better. It's more impressive if you do more with less notes, squeezing the most pure melodies from a bunch of chords. It's more impressive to build a house with 2-3 tools, not a whole equipment.
>>
>>68862735
Holy fucking shit anon. Have you even listened to requiem? it's a masterpiece that this world isn't even worthy of.
>>
>>68862865
So much bullshit, so much projecting. Stop if, ugly faggot.
>>
>>68862851
Jesus Christ. Did someone actually type this. I'm not a classical fan of aficionado but Mozart s music didn't survive eons of time if it wasn't considered by highly credentialed true scholars of music considering it to be outstanding in every imaginable way.
>>
File: 1453263783602.gif (4KB, 256x272px) Image search: [Google]
1453263783602.gif
4KB, 256x272px
>>68862735
screencapped
>>
>>68862945
>Did someone actually type this
see>>68862735
>>
>>68862922
>implying everyone has the same reactions to music
I listened to it. Pretty good, but not something mindblowing.
>I'm not a classical fan of aficionado but Mozart s music didn't survive eons of time if it wasn't considered by highly credentialed true scholars of music considering it to be outstanding in every imaginable way.
It survived because some music elitists decided it was great. It's the same thing as those shitty simple paintings worth millions: https://www.google.com/search?q=simplest+paintings+millions

Some academic dudes decided that, there's no objectivity in judging music. Fact.
>>
>>68862974
>there's no objectivity in judging music. Fact.
makes sense that this is coming from someone who knows absolutely nothing about music theory (aka the objective aspects of music)
>>
grimes is not that good
>>
>>68862910
Are you saying with Mozart's innate musical talent if he had access to modern technology he couldn't compose music as beautiful and technically perfect as he did in in own time frame. Mozart was a bonified musical genius that seldom had to any rewrites of what he composed. He was that good.
>>
>>68862997
>objectivist
The worst music fans. Music is about feelings, not some technical stuff. It's no wonder people don't like most classical, prog rock and jazz, because they're so dull, technical and devoid of emotion. If you like this music, fine, but don't pretent it's objectively better than other music genres (rock, metal, folk, techno, synthpop, r&b, soul, ambient,...).

If we admit that music is a subjective thing, then there's no fucking way to prove that Mozart is better than Grimes and viceversa. IMO, Grimes does a better music than Mozart. It's just an opinion, not a fact.
>>
>>68863114
I just don't get all this Mozart praise. Lots of his compositions are ordinary classical music. The kind of stuff you hear on movie soundtracks: boring, bombastic, overdone. It's really dated. Electronic music is the new classical. The possibilities are endless, the synths sound much better than any violin and trumpet on earth.
>>
File: 2-Terrible-Artworks-3.png (488KB, 1120x612px) Image search: [Google]
2-Terrible-Artworks-3.png
488KB, 1120x612px
>>68863118
>It's no wonder people don't like most classical, prog rock and jazz, because they're so dull, technical and devoid of emotion
most people don't like those genres because most people don't know anything about music.
practically anyone with a basic understanding of music theory will say that those genres can be extremely emotional, and far from dull.

it's like saying Shakespeare is bad because you're too dumb to understand what he's writing about.

also, how does it feel knowing that you're directly contributing to the death of art. you're the reason why shit like pic related is allowed
>>
>>68863191
Electronic Music is the new Disco. This coming from someone who was alive during the disco era. Music trends come and go. I have seen lots of music directional changes in my 56 years. >IB4 get off of 4chan grandpa
>>
>>68863191
listen to what's actually happening in the music. pay attention to tempo/rhythm/melody/harmony/dynamic/counterpoint/etc. try listening to what each instrument is doing.

saying something sounds like ordinary classical music is bullshit because classical is such a broad and varied umbrella genre with the largest amount of room for experimentation and originality.
>>
>>68862961
>>68862945
>>68862644
>>68862591
>>68863191

Absolutely trolled
>>
>>68863440
here comes grimes defense force damage control
>>
The same person who did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FH-q0I1fJY
also did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhNxvoXOKcI
and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rVIx3VbJTM
>>
>>68863118
Music is not just about feelings?? if music was about feelings then what is there separating music from poetry? or from visual arts? or from film? or from anything else? music IS about technical stuff. thats why music theory exists. you have to get technical in order to fully understand the instruments you're playing. Feelings play a role in modern music for sure, and i respect and love that. but music that is purely technical is valid music too? if you were an actual musician you'd respect artists who immerse themselves in music theory and write things besides entry level, pretentious dreamy pop songs with poor, easy to sing vocals.

Grimes is not that bad, but she's very overrated and she's definitely not comparable to Mozart. she didn't even know any music theory until a few years ago, which by the way takes YEARS to master. Mozart was composing songs since he was 4 years old. To compare them is so disrespectful to the fact that he literally dedicated his life to studying a complex subject.

would you say i'm just as good of a doctor for reading a few wikipedia pages as someone who spent 8 years in medical school? would you let me give you heart surgery?
>>
>>68863293
The new disco? Electronic music exists for decades and there are zero signs to stop being relevant and innovative. You're comparing a fairly limited genre with a whole huge category, with tens of subgenres. There will not be a "disco sucks" moment with electronic music.
>>
>>68863550
just stop posting anon. haven't you already embarrassed yourself enough for one day?
>>
I feel like 4chan really needs a celebrity board or something so that this board can go back to being about music as opposed to just the latest pop stars you guys want to fuck. Grimes has no real merit as a musician, None of her fans even seem to be musicians themselves so i'm not sure why they flock to this board. Go back to tumblr.
>>
>>68863482
persons change
>>
>>68863649
class is eternal
>>
>>68863497
You could make music without knowing music theory (a painter could paint without knowing about color/painting theory or a driver could drive without knowing how to make a car). Knowing theory it makes you understand more about music, but it's not a make or break thing. If you have real talent like Grimes you could make great music based on gut feeling. For me, it's more impressive if someone does great music knowing little theory than someone who is well prepared.
>>
>>68862922
Mozart didn't even compose most of requiem. Still one of the best pieces of music ever, but ya know.
>>
>>68863767
i thought he wrote it on his deathbed
>>
>>68863639
>Grimes has no real merit as a musician,
Embarrassing opinion. You better prove that.
>None of her fans even seem to be musicians themselves
So, you need to be a musician in order to like music? JFC! FYI there's a classical musician that posts on /grimes/.
>>
>>68863757
Just stop.
>>
>>68863854
Stop? Who the fuck are you to tell me to stop posting about music on a music board?
>>
>>68863579
>not agreeing with someone's opinions
>embarrassed yourself
Fuck you.
>>
>>68863830
He left it unfinished, was finished by another guy whose name escapes me. Lots of mystery surrounding the work, worth a google.
>>
File: images (3).jpg (10KB, 304x166px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
10KB, 304x166px
>>68863757
Have you ever seen anyone do a painting when they have no understanding of actual art theory? You get this. which is a visual representation of what Grimes' music sounds like to someone who has been a musician for 17 years.
>>
>>68864011
Weak analogy. Music is art, not engineering.

>You get this.
Many old painters had very little training, and they did masterpieces. Theory is good, but practice kills you.

>which is a visual representation of what Grimes' music sounds like to someone who has been a musician for 17 years.
Let's put it this way: Grimes is a musician, you're a musician too. Grimes is a world class artist, respected by critics, fans, other artists, you're a nobody. You could be a musician for 100 years, if you're doing the same shit every fucking day, you're not evolving, you're not creating music that people want to hear. This artist that you dismiss so much is doing innovative music that nobody else has done before (actually prove me wrong). This is the difference between she and you: she's finding new artistic expressions, you're a mere player, doing things that have been done before countless times.
>>
>>68864284
Honestly i'm really not sure where you get this idea that grimes is doing anything that revolutionary. her music is dreamy pop that has absolutely been done before, she just combines it with falsetto vocals which aren't usually heard in pop music. That's really her only merit. The music itself is nothing new. I would like it if YOU could prove to me that the actual composition of her music is completely unheard of and revolutionary.

>Many old painters had very little training, and they did masterpieces.
Sauce? I mean it's really funny that you used Rembrandt as an example, He studied art theory very extensively for several years under more than one teacher i believe. so did Da vinci and most of the Renaissance era artists. they all studied art theory very heavily because the trend at the time was paintings with absolutely perfected technique. Do you think that people can just pick up a paintbrush and naturally paint the mona lisa? You might have a natural skill for composition but it takes years to perfect that skill, learn all the techniques you need to learn to be able to express that natural talent effectively. There is an absolute shit tonne of theory that goes with art, colour theory, shading, understanding depth and perception, symbolism, texture, lighting. The same goes for music. Without music theory your natural talent is still absolutely nothing.

also
>Implying you know me or my musical accomplishments
>>
>>68864284
Also artists similar to Grimes that have been making music longer than her
>Bjork (also more talented than grimes and makes far more pleasing music)
>d'Eon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuMufoHT4vQ
>The Knife https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFyp3Q8zDC4&list=PLdXt_GbMZ9jZPhFAzyGGbUB83YcI1XoKp
>Beach house https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv7IcjmxjGo&list=PLjR7x6h301ozi5AiJ_l2tOZWHyAyGPzU_
>Coco Rosie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=408BPJJbJLQ&list=PL10mus35CpM3ZYD0DjVloS_mLs0WjbFzZ

Theres more but i really can't be bothered. I think i've proven my point that Grimes is not really doing anything particularly new, unless you have some big secret about her actual composition that i'm magically missing out on.
>>
>>68862402
Not sad at all. It actually makes a lot of sense since they are/were both concerned with ultimately achieving the same thing - make music that appeals both to high and low cultured people at the same time.
>>
>>68864822
>I think i've proven my point that Grimes is not really doing anything particularly new
You didn't. You just named some quirky female musicians (except d'Eon) that have nothing in common with Grimes. Where's Coco Rosie's Kill V. Maim? Where is Bjork's Omega? Where's The Knife's California? Where's Beach House's Circumambient? Where's d'Eon's Laughing And Not Being Normal? Do any of these artists have all Grimes' styles in their music (I mean songs from Oblivion to Scream)?
>>
OK, I admit, this >>68862735 was just bait to piss off the elitists. I actually like Mozart and classical. As you can see I didn't even say Mozart is bad.
>>
>>68862591
>saying something like that is seriously disrespectful to music as an art form and to anyone who has actually taken the time to become a real musician.
Professional classical musician with conservatory degrees in music, international touring and study experience, and numerous gigs at venues like Sadler's Wells, Carnegie Hall, and places all over mainland Europe. She's the real deal. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like when she starts composing straight-up symphonies (which - imo - is only a matter of time for someone like her.)
>>
File: rush.png (154KB, 405x241px) Image search: [Google]
rush.png
154KB, 405x241px
Ok guys, let's all chill and instead focus on something we can all agree on.
>>
Robby Rotten.
He inspired me to play the ol' sax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfYnvDL0Qcw
>>
>>68862865
Trolls know that Grimes has a tendency (for whatever reason) to push people's buttons. Hence why they like to spam random threads with her as part of the byline - people like you constantly falling for such bait is what causes there to be more of these threads.
>>
>>68864968
Wow i mean you just basically listed all of her worst songs. Almost all of those artists i listed are classified as synth pop which is one of the genres that Grimes is labelled as. Do you think she like invented synth pop or dream pop? People have been making music in this genre for a while, if you guys actually kept up with music outside of your scope and explored other artists rather than just being a one eyed grimesfag then you'd understand that her general style is definitely NOT a new thing.
>>
>>68865025
damage control
>>
>>68865360
Say what you will, I meant it.
>>
>>68862735
>>68862910
Music has not evolved appreciably since Mozart's time for the very simple reason that people have not evolved appreciably since then. And it is people - in the way that their minds detect and interpret sounds - and NOT the sounds themselves that give rise to the interpretive construct that we call music. Grimes is doing EXACTLY THE SAME THING great composers like Mozart were doing before her - making great music with the tools available to them. Nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>68865286
Spot on. Demand and offer.
>>
>>68865288
>Do you think she like invented synth pop or dream pop?
No. She invented her own brand of synthpop. Yes, people have been making music in this genre for a while, but not like her. And definitely not the whole RANGE of her songs, from Omega to Kill V. Maim, from Beast Infection to Nightmusic, from Life in the Vivid Dream to Easily. Just a quick example: who else did a song like Circumambient? If she's that ordinary, it should be easy to find such a song.
>>
>>68865120
>something we can all agree on.
although i agree, obviously this anon>>68863118
would disagree
>>
>>68865756
>It's just an opinion, not a fact.
>>
>>68862485
>signed to a small indie label
>indie label
how oxymoronic can one get
>>
>>68862974
>>68863118
Grimes' music is wonderful. Shitting on the entire career of someone like Mozart in a bizarre attempt at highlighting this fact just makes you look like a total moron.

>>68863113
Give her music a couple hundred years or so to percolate -then we can talk.

>>68863191
All classical composer's works sound dated to a modern listener. In order to fully appreciate what you're hearing in classical music, you have to be willing/able to view it in the context of when it was made. In his day, Mozart's sound was sonically revolutionary.

>>68863854
>>68863497
>music IS about technical stuff.
Only mediocre music. Truly great music is that which manages to transcend the technical aspects of its creation. And truly great musicians are those people who - either through savantic levels of natural talent (eg. Grimes) OR extensive levels of training (eg Beethoven) manage to achieve that in their music making.

>>68864011
>>68863639
>None of her fans even seem to be musicians themselves
This >>68865058 was also me, and fwiw I've been at it for over 22 years - discussion of Grimes absolutely belongs on this board.

>>68864613
>You might have a natural skill for composition but it takes years to perfect that skill, learn all the techniques you need to learn to be able to express that natural talent effectively.
Which is a major part of why following Grimes' career is so exciting. Because - as a far as conventional wisdom goes - she has only BEGUN to scratch the surface of which she is capable of artistically over her lifetime.

>>68864822
>I think i've proven my point that Grimes is not really doing anything particularly new, unless you have some big secret about her actual composition that i'm magically missing out on.
For one, Grimes creates contemporary pop music that features contrapuntal voice leading. Compare the vocals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-aWEYezEMk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq3SNcCud5Q
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.