[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Mu/ opinion of Rap?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

I personally really like the older stuff. You guys hate it or find any that you enjoy?
>>
I enjoy all rap these days. Old, new, conscious, mumble.
>>
>>68845927
Rap is what you get when you remove talent from every aspect of music. It was literally invented by musically illiterate people. A lot of people seem to enjoy it though, I'll give it that.
>>
The most creative genre of music as a WHOLE right now
>>
>>68846326
>Rap is what you get when you remove talent from every aspect of music.

I'd disagree. Rap has had some of the best lyricists of all time.
>>
>>68846525
This. Kendrick Lamar and Kanye West are lyrical geniuses (and many more)
>>
>>68846525
Maybe one or two good ones who just look a lot better when compared to the trash that 99% of rap lyrics are
>>
>>68846326

Okay, baby boomer.
>>
>>68845927
I enjoy that style of music. For example, one artist that works in this genre named Danny Brown, released a fine rap recording called Atrocity Exhibition that was quite good.
>>
If you don't like Gucci Mane you're on some sucker shit
>>
>>68846828

Gucci Mane is a poormans Tommy Wright III.
>>
>>68846326
Lol keep posting pics of your sissy hairrock rock bands that wore spandex and sung about drugs, sex, and the devil.
>>
I enjoy Cypress Hill and Jedi Mind Tricks
>>
>mfw retards attempting poetry
>>
>>68846326
If what you listen to is from the radio then yes i agree.
>>
I mean if you look at what he's doing from an unbiased standpoint, the primary reason thug is actually talented is the fact that his lyrics are an afterthought, and his delivery is the actual point of his music. For example, on "can't tell", I'll only use the lyrics as a reference point for his melodic changes. Starting at a consistent note: "All my aces if you play they make (drops several notes) you (rises above original note) Grady baby (baby's note drops halfway through). I (rising) might shoot you in your head and then (dropping) it's (rising) no more thinking."

If we progress to a less melodic, and more rhythmic verse of his, (the chorus off "slime shit" off of slime season three):

"This that slime shit, YSL shit, killing 12 shit, fuck a jail shit"

If we break that down into an analysis of the times of each syllable, it looks like the attached image. Without seriously analyzing the song, I'd assume that the first two syllables of the line are in either 16th or 32nd notes, the next syllable is approximately either an eighth or a 16th afterwards, whereas the next is probably 2 beats after the 3rd syllable.
>>
His use of triplets in his rhythmical verses, combined with how effortlessly he glides between both melodic and rhythmic applications of his voice definitely suggest he is much more talented than people credit him for.

Also, if we bring in one other aspect, his ad-libs are consistently an endearing but slightly threatening/eccentric view into the life of thug. He's a 6'2 felon who is verifiably a member of a southern set of bloods, but his adlibs at the end of his verses portray something else.

"Bleh/blah/blet" - generally accepted as being the sound of a gunshot, essentially giving the listener either a sense of involvement in thug's personal gang life, or possibly a sense of fear, perchance thug is firing his weapon at they (the listener).

"Yaaahhh" - generally at the end of A. Very well delivered, or B. Very lyrically striking lines, portraying a sense of pride from thug. For example, on "Knocked Off (Ft. Birdman)": "I'm gon' beat that pussy up just like a champion (YAH)); thug is stressing the fact that he is in fact going to beat that pussy up just like a champion.

"Sheesh" - sheesh is generally used in modern day American vernacular to announce disbelief or exasperation. For example, on the chorus of "Check": "got me a check, I got a check! Yah I done got me a check, I got a check! (Sheesh!)". In this verse, my assumption/inference from his adlib at the end of the line is he is amazed or disbelieving of how much money this check is for. It could also be applied to many other verses though, most frequently when I think of thug saying "sheesh", I picture him dropping the line and then being in awe of what he just said, taking a step back and saying: "sheesh!"

All of your points summed up:

Beats: I don't think production is a necessity to being a talented rapper in today's day and age, especially considering the fact that thugger has Metro Booming and London as his signature producers.
>>
Lyrics: his lyrics are definitely not simple, and they rely far less on his doubletime speed, and more on the tone/pitch of his delivery. Also, his lyrics are obviously influenced in certain areas by Lil Wayne, and although he fell off, there's no denying that lil Wayne was one of the most influential contemporary rappers. Specifically, thugs wordplay, and instead of just stating "I got lots of money", the way thug will refer to his lifestyle more than he will refer to having millions in his bank account.
>>
Examples of lifestyle references or wordplay:

"I want the M's and I'm not talking Mickey D's/My jewelry gold like the tokens at chucky cheese" - in this verse thug compares his wealth to lower class, fast food/entertainment places.

"I fucked her then washed my dick off with the curtains inside the phantom" - thug has sex with a woman, and then to get vaginal fluids off of his penis, he shows a blatant disregard for his 650,000 dollar Rolls Royce Phantom Coupe by wiping his genitalia on the curtains that come with the car.

"Money stand like eight feet just like two midgets!" - thug has so much money that it is 8 feet tall when stacked, like two 4-foot midgets.

"I call the spot elementary cause I keep a K around here" - referencing how his home is similar to an elementary school, because there is a kindergarten (K) nearby, but in thugs line, K references an AK-47, essentially meaning thug doesn't go anywhere without an AK.

I would definitely argue that a lot of what he does could be considered musical.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.