[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this album the closest thing we will get to a perfect pop album?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0140.jpg (188KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0140.jpg
188KB, 300x300px
Is this album the closest thing we will get to a perfect pop album?
>>
>>68836108
>muh unfinished masterpiece

Beach boy/Wilson fags are cancer
>>
>>68836137
fuck off mike
>>
>>68836137
You obviously have never listened 2 the smile sessions
>>
>>68836137
>>68836137
agreed

Also the Beatles better
and Pet Sounds is the most overrated album of all time
>>
File: 1477612806455.png (445KB, 964x784px) Image search: [Google]
1477612806455.png
445KB, 964x784px
>>68836137
>>
>>68836202
feels good to see somebody itt that's not a complete fucking pleb
>>
>>68836202
The Beatles never made a song anywhere as good as Windchimes (or most of smile) ever.
>>
>>68836108
Being in an unfinished state is a fault is inherently imperfect.

Sgt Pepper on the other hand...
>>
>>68836192
It's mostly just instrumental track sessions. What are you on about?
>>68836246
lol
>>
>>68836360
I think we are listing to different albums my man.
>>
beatle fags out
>>
>>68836399
>I think we are listing to different albums my man.
Listen to Disc 4. What do you hear?
>>
>>68836444
>What do you hear?
garbage
>>
File: Nylon.jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Nylon.jpg
11KB, 300x300px
Well there's this....
>>
i'd say yes and no. If it were finished to the real image of brian and van dyke parks it very well would have been. but the state it was when they put together the sessions album a few years ago, too much of brian's flair (which is him really grinding in the studio) was absent, it ended up being just the instrumentals and vocals with very little of his production outside of a few tracks. A finished smile in '67/68 would very well be the greatest pop album ever made.
>>68836137
The sessions box set actually includes more or less a finished smile, just without brians production. if you call it unfinished then you may as well call TLOP and Let it Be unfinished albums
>>
>>68836444
I'm taking the completed tracks. Not instrumental out takes
>>
>>68836444
You mean the bonus disc? The disc that is only available as part of the box set? The disc that is not actually part of the album? The bonus disc?
>>
>>68836586
What bonus disc. The Smile Sessions is a 5CD box set. There are no bonus discs
>>68836561
There were only 4 completed tracks in 1967. Not sure what you mean.
>>
>>68836617
Are you an actual tard ?
>>
>>68836617
The box set is not the only version of the album, or even the standard version, smarty.
>>
>>68836617
pretty sure this guy is talking about the fist 20 tracks on the first disc of the smile sessions, that's for better or worse a finished smile, but like i >>68836560 said, without brians production except for a handful of songs
>>
File: mike not.png (345KB, 1202x944px) Image search: [Google]
mike not.png
345KB, 1202x944px
>>68836137
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-11-02 14.04.52.png (51KB, 811x611px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-11-02 14.04.52.png
51KB, 811x611px
>>68836633
Pic related. Are you?
>>68836653
Not answering my question.
>>68836655
Oh disc 1? OK I'm listening for the vocals on Holiday and I Love to Say Dada and Look and I'm not hearing them. Where are they, if it's finished?
>>
>>68836340
the 2011 version is basically the complete version, there's some recording issues in places but it's as close as it's ever gonna get to how it was made to be.
>>
>>68836718
Relax hot head.
>>
>>68836736
OK I'm listening for the vocals on Holiday and I Love to Say Dada and Look and I'm not hearing them. Where are they, if it's finished?
>>
>>68836655
are there examples of what some songs would have sounded like with Brians production, like bootleg versions?
>>
>>68836872
Holiday needs vocals, no doubt.
But Say Dada works without them, and Look also works as it introduces the Look/Child/Surfs Up trio - it establishes the structure and the harmony which keeps getting developed until that ecstatic end to surfs up.
>>
>>68836718
What do you think a bonus disc is, anon?
>>
>>68836718
bro, i never said it's the fully produced and mastered album that it was intended to be. unless you're fucking deaf or retarded you can clearly hear that each song is recorded and there are multiple tracks/instruments on each song. I don't know if you're dense or what but this is a studio quality put-together string of songs that functions as a standalone album. It's the most completed version of the beach boys' smile we'll get other than brian wilson's smile. those songs don't have vocals because they have them in this specific track list as transitional pieces. Who's to say it would have even made it on the 67 version if it were released.. The point is that it's intended as the most standalone production of the smile sessions they're going to release. it may as well be smile. You fucking idiot
>>
>>68836872
Chill my guy. I'm not saying the album is complete I'm saying the tracks that are "complete" (even without Brian's production) are great.

Surfs up, heros and villains, cabin essence, and so on.
>>
>>68836933
>the Look/Child/Surfs Up trio - it establishes the structure and the harmony which keeps getting developed until that ecstatic end to surfs up.
Haha it's you form yesterday lol
>what I think is...
Not relevant
>>68836979
>bro, i never said it's the fully produced and mastered album that it was intended to be
Then it can't be perfect.
>>68836982
>Chill my guy. I'm not saying the album is complete
You just said
>the 2011 version is basically the complete version
Which is it? make up your mind.
>>68836939
Which of the 5 discs is the bonus disc?
>>
>>68837041
I actually was not the one who said the 2011 version was complete. I'm OP
>>
>>68836872
you're literally the fucking stupidest person i've seen on the internet. it's not completely finished, but it's supposed to be what it would sound like with the actual shit they recorded for it if they released it as an album//you think you're listening to it in a way that's more refined or objective than most people, but you're just being a pretentious twat. it's the fucking album you moron, saying it's not doesn't make you right. If you were right they wouldn't have released it with that intention or that tracklist or spent however many hours mixing and producing the fuck out of the discombobulated tapes if that wasn't their intention. you fucking nincom fucking poop
>>
>>68837056
Why are you contradicting yourself?
>>68837120
>it's not completely finished
>but it's supposed to be what it would sound like with the actual shit they recorded for it if they released it as an album
so... finished? it's not. Do you even know what finished means?
>saying it's not doesn't make you right
Well, the fact that The Smile Sessions is not an album, it's an anthology of unreleased session tapes, makes me right. If you want to pretend just 40 minutes of the 5 disc set is "the album" you can, but it won't make you right
>or spent however many hours mixing and producing the fuck out of the discombobulated tapes
Oh uh huh I see tell me more about the technical process of remixing the mastertapes? You seem to very knowledgeable on this subject
>>
>>68836108
perfection is a pretty useless term here. for all its intents and purposes, Animal by Ke$ha is perfect, and if we go by what's commonly expected of pop, Smile Sessions is far from that
>>
>>68837041
i'm heated man this guy thinks he's so fucking special calling the 2011 version incomplete and not a real album. you don't know what the "actually finished" version would sound like, because they never finished mixing and mastering it when they recorded it, but with hat they did record, and with brian's intentions in mind, they put together a version that would be as close to the original idea as possible with the actual recordings they did in 66-68 and released most of the recording sessions alongside that "smile" version. Is let it be a finished album, you fucking moron? They didn't finish recording it, but phil spectre used what they did record and released it as a "finished" let it be, no fucking difference with the 2011 version of smile.
>>
>>68837255
>you don't know what the "actually finished" version would sound like
Based on the Brian Wilson presents Smile (which they based their sequence on), we do. With that template, yes, it's unfinished.
>Is let it be a finished album, you fucking moron
It is. because the Beatles finished recording their parts for the whole album when the project was finished at the end of January 1969. In contrast, Brian had only 4 songs finished by the end of May 1967, out of the twelve earmarked for the album.
>They didn't finish recording it
What was not completed?
>>
>>68837209
yeah i am knowledgeable you fucking idiot, being a musician and recording and mixing and mastering albums myself. if they finished recording it, then you could maybe achieve brians original vision for the album, but since they never finished the album during the sessions, that won't happen. What does happen is a production team was hired to mix and master what they did record and turn it into a standalone. If you want to pretend like a fucking delusional hipster that that doesn't equal a finished album by any standard other than your own, or other than the fact that they literally used all of the material they could for this but it wasn't everything brian wilson imagined when they were making it. if that's the case, then fine. there will never be a smile, happy living life with one of the greatest albums being incomplete.i'll listen to smile and enjoy the finished product that it is, and not be a slave to my pretensions
>>
>>68837409
>smile
>finished project

It's quite literally not finished and will never be finished
>>
>>68837392
no they didn't actually. if you actually knew about let it be, you'd know that it was supposed to be a raw, uncut album of just the songs they wrote for "get back". after hundreds of takes john and paul were mostly unsatisfied and decided to scrap the album entirely, except for a couple songs they brought to abbey road. furthermore, brian wilson's smile is what brian wilson imagined smile to sound like 40 years after they tried recording it, when in fact MOST of the material they had planned to use for the album was already recorded, brian had just produced the singles and was discouraged from producing more of the songs when it seemed like the rest of the group and captiol wanted to move on to the next album. most not all, just like let it be.
>>
beach boy fans are fags
>>
>>68837409
>being a musician and recording and mixing and mastering albums myself
Oh well that takes two of us! What a coincidence! What label are you signed to? How many songs have you published?
>if they finished recording it, then you could maybe achieve brians original vision for the album, but since they never finished the album during the sessions, that won't happen.
So... it's not finished. If you agree with me, why are you arguing?
>What does happen is a production team was hired to mix and master what they did record and turn it into a standalon
It wasn't a stand alone, was it? Take out your copy of The Smile Sessions and see how many discs there are. I have 5 in mind, not including the vinyl and 7"s. Do you even own it?
>or other than the fact that they literally used all of the material they could for this
>what are the Durrie Parks acetates
Yikes
>i'll listen to smile and enjoy the finished product that it is
But you just admitted it wasn't finished. make up your mind.
>>68837496
>it was supposed to be a raw, uncut album of just the songs they wrote for "get back".
So... it was completely recorded then. It was finished.
>after hundreds of takes john and paul were mostly unsatisfied and decided to scrap the album entirely
>what are the Glyn johns Test Masters
Yikes. You really don't know much about what you attempt to discuss do you?
>brian had just produced the singles and was discouraged from producing more of the songs when it seemed like the rest of the group and captiol wanted to move on to the next album. most not all, just like let it be.
Which songs from Let It be were unfinished? You didn't answer this. because if it was supposed to be live/raw, then it was all tracked live and thus complete. All the elements are there, right?

For a "musician and recording and mixing and mastering albums myself" you don't seem to understand the recording process very well.
>>
>>68837475
>green text

thinking pointing out me saying concepts that contradict each other invalidated my arguments. you live in your closed minded world bro, i'm sure your "friends" all really appreciate the deep things you have to say. i'll live in the one with a smile. in fact it's easier to call smile an unfinished album just because they didn't finish making it 50 years ago than it is to call what they did release as finished when you make such a basic argument that agrees only with the idea that unfinished once is unfinished forever. there are literally so many posthumous albums and shit that was made from way less material that you would probably consider completed albums. you fucking moron
>>
Smile is amateurish compared to any of the psychedelic stuff the Beatles did
>>
>>68837521
and they're stupid
>>
>>68837641
>thinking pointing out me saying concepts that contradict each other invalidated my arguments
I'm not him, but it does. Sound logic has no contradictions. It's either finished or not
>in fact it's easier to call smile an unfinished album just because they didn't finish making it 50 years ago
Yeah because that's what "unfinished" means.
>such a basic argument that agrees only with the idea that unfinished once is unfinished forever.
Because it's revisionist history. Where do we draw the line? Is The Beatles Love the ultimate perfect pop album then? It's fair game because the entire Beatles catalog was unfinished until Love, right?
>you fucking moron
Maybe you can say the word "bro" a few more times.
>>
>>68837567
it's funny that you say that. don't need to be signed to have been involved in those processes. what about you?
>So... it's not finished. If you agree with me, why are you arguing?
i said they didn't finish it when they were working on it in the 60s, doesn't mean they couldn't finish it later.
>It wasn't a stand alone, was it? Take out your copy of The Smile Sessions and see how many discs there are. I have 5 in mind, not including the vinyl and 7"s. Do you even own it?
Yeah i do. they released it with the intention of the first 40 minutes working as a standalone, but it be kind of a rip off if they only had 40 minutes on one disc when every other disc is around 70 minutes.
>Durrie Parks acetetates
>material included in the smile sessions box set
>material they could use
yeah, like i said,material they COULD use
>But you just admitted it wasn't finished. make up your mind.
they didn't finish it in the 60s, but they did in 2011 as i've been saying
>So... it was completely recorded then. It was finished. no, it wasn't they may have recorded most of the songs hundreds of times but they scrapped what they recorded in favor of a new album
>GJTM
>doesn't make them any more satisfied with they recorded, or any more willing to call what they recorded finished.
>Which songs from Let It be were unfinished? You didn't answer this. because if it was supposed to be live/raw, then it was all tracked live and thus complete. All the elements are there, right?
Pretty much the entire roof top tracklist, that's what made them want to give up the project the most. They wanted that to be the true testament to their ability as a band, but thought that each take wasn't perfect enough to justify finishing the album with their original intention, so they scrapped it.
>>
>>68837735

> For a "musician and recording and mixing and mastering albums myself" you don't seem to understand the recording process very well.
say what you want about me you pseudo wikipedia intellectual, but i at least acknowledge the effort of the entire history of smile, and the 2011 production is completed enough to constitute a finished album

no, because we don't live in a perfect world, and sometimes arguments stack up with intentional contradictions, so long as the contradiction is resolved, which it was.

I draw the line at them remixing the music, nothing from smile was remixed except for surf's up. pretty much everything on love was remixed. also this production of smile was intended to obey brian and van dyke parks vision for the album, they just put together the unfinished material, thus finishing the album, bro
>>
>>68837735
any produced version of let it be should inherently invalidate it based on your standard for what a finished album should be, because it betrayed the composers' original artistic vision for the album and was produced after the fact without obeying their vision. so if smile's unfinished so is let it be
>>
>>68837982
>it's funny that you say that. don't need to be signed to have been involved in those processes.
While that is true, its a good judge of your seriousness ("Oh yeah I'm totally a musician/producer. Here';s my soundcloud Fruity loops mixtape")
>what about you?
One of my bands is signed, and I have approx 200 published songs
>doesn't mean they couldn't finish it later.
Well, they did finish 3 more of the songs later. That's it. "They" certainly didn't finish it for the Smile Sessions. It was Mark Linett and Alan Boyd, not The Beach Boys.
>they released it with the intention of the first 40 minutes working as a standalone
Do you know what a standalone is? It's not a standalone anything, it's a part of the whole SMiLE Sessions package.
>yeah, like i said,material they COULD use
You don't know what the Durrie parks acetates are, do you?
>They wanted that to be the true testament to their ability as a band
Incorrect. There were a number of songs not suitable for a rooftop performance (Two Of Us, Long and Winding Road, Let it Be), and they had already secured "THE" takes of several songs days earlier (notably For You blue, Get Back and Don't Let me Down, the later two which saw a single release).

You don't know much about the Get Back sessions, do you?
>>68838163
Luckily we have to non-produced version of Get Back to choose from, which invalidates your claim that it wasn't finished.

It was finished. Twice. It was all recorded, all mixed. It just wasn't released.

In contrast, Smile wasn't even finished being recorded. Only 4 of the 12 songs were finished.
>>68838097
>nothing from smile was remixed except for surf's up
Wrong again. We have pitchshifted vocals on Mrs O'Leary's Cow. We have speed altered vocals on Barnyard and I'm in great Shape. We have fly-ins on Look and I Love To Say Dada. There are what you would call remixing done to many of the tracks to make them "finished".
>>
>>68838310
XX published songs isn't really a testament to how serious you take what you do. doesn't mean i haven't sat behind a mixing console, fuckin dweeb.
>they
they was never even the actual beach boys, they were a public image band to say the least, and smile is telling of that as they didn't see the album as a whole when they were recording it in the 60s, but they saw it as a whole after the bootlegs and brian wilsons smile, they saw the potential to complete it. it was released in the bundle because, like i said, it wouldn't make sense to release just a 40 minute disc when they also released 70+ minute discs in the box set. Obviously they would market what will make them the most money, and it's not a single disc.

> don't even know ... Durrie Parks acetates
yeah it's the recordings van dyke made when he was staying with brian at during the first half or so of the smile sessions
>incorrect.
naw, you're incorrect, they recorded it beforehand because they knew it wasn't suitable, but they played the rooftop to truly test themselves as a group, to see how well they could perform the most straightforward songs of the sessions live.

>non produced version
let it be naked, right? that's more like the real album than let it be.

>finished
bro, if they had finished it, they would have been satisfied with what they recorded, which they weren't, which is why they scrapped it and returned to true studio form. they weren't satisfied so they evolved their sound and tried again with abbey road. let it be 1970 was a farce, nothing more.

I meant relatively not remixed, it wasn't completely unembellished, but ultimately didn't really detract from the original vision, at least in a way some fucking pretentious neckbeard wouldn't consider remixing the fucking songs. compare anything on love to any of what you mention and tell me what's actually remixed

even the bootlegs have shit done to them, not a perfect world, but we still have a finished version of smile
>>
>>68838310
LOL it would suck 2 be as autistic as this guy
>>
No, Pavement's Crooked Rain has that honor.
>>
>>68836550
correct
>>
>>68838809
>XX published songs isn't really a testament to how serious you take what you do
Why not? Someone who copyrights and publishes their work is more serious than one who doesn't.
>they was never even the actual beach boys, they were...
>IF I change the definition of what The beach boys were, I will always be right!
Nope
>yeah it's the recordings van dyke made when he was staying with brian at during the first half or so of the smile sessions
Incorrect.
>naw, you're incorrect, they recorded it beforehand because they knew it wasn't suitable, but they played the rooftop to truly test themselves as a group
[citation needed]
>let it be naked, right?
No I just literally told you. two different final masters prepared by Glyn Johns in 1969 and 1970. Again, you are an idiot.
>bro, if they had finished it, they would have been satisfied with what they recorded, which they weren't,
It seems as though you are shifting goalposts here, changing the meaning of "finished".
Get Back was completely recorded, mixed and mastered.
SMiLE was NOT even finished being recorded.
If you think they are both "unfinished", that's fine but you are ignoring the histories of both albums
> they would have been satisfied with what they recorded, which they weren't, which is why they scrapped it and returned to true studio form
Again, you don't know what you are taking about. Glyn johns was mixing Get back while The Beatles were simultaneously recording Abbey Road. The Beatles decided to go to "true studio form" before they even heard the final cut of Get Back.
>>
File: IMG_2230.jpg (50KB, 415x542px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2230.jpg
50KB, 415x542px
>>68839626
>someone agrees with my taste.
>>
>>68836108
It's predecessor is better/more worth the shout. Both are absolutely brilliant though.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.