[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts? Over/under rated? Best/Worst track?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: flaming.jpg (273KB, 953x953px) Image search: [Google]
flaming.jpg
273KB, 953x953px
Thoughts? Over/under rated? Best/Worst track?
>>
>>68813223
this and yoshimi are their best works.
>>
>>68813245
would you rank this over yoshimi?
>>
>>68813308
sure
>>
>>68813223
accurately rated

best track is A Spoonful Weighs a Ton or Satellite of You
>>
Race for the Prize is the best track for me
>>
>>68813586
this too

sometimes I put it on just because I want to hear that tape effect again
>>
Best track imho is The Spark That Bled.
>>
>>68813223
Underrated, vastly superior to OK Computer. Feeling Yourself Disintegrate is the best track.
>>
>>68814824
why is it compared to OK computer
>>
>>68813308
I agree that they are their two best works, but I honestly think Yoshimi is better as a whole. TSB has great moments and probably some of their individually best tracks, but Yoshimi is a more cohesive album and really is the culmination of their style. Everything before that was leading up to it, and everything since is a disintegration of it.
>>
Best track is Slow Motion.
>>
>Not liking Clouds Taste Metallic
>Not liking Embryonic

Shit taste desu
>>
best album

what is the light is amazing, and favorite b-side is satellite of you
>>
>>68815356
>favorite b-side is satellite of you
Not familiar with this. What single was it released on?
>>
>>68815169
>but Yoshimi is the culmination of their style
Have you only listened to one Flaming Lips album or something?
>>
>>68815371
well, b-side and b-side. it's a studio outtake from the zaireeka/soft bulletin era, and it's great
>>
Completely overrated (considering Pitchfork gave it a 10)
>>
>>68815432
If it's a b-side, what single was it released on?
>>
Entry level album. Pretty good but nothing we haven't discussed a bajillion times.
>>
>>68815486
Show us the score you charted out for The Spark That Bled
>>
>>68815451
Why don't you stop letting a website dictate your tastes? You're just as bad as p4k drones.

The Soft Bulletin was universally praised by all kinds of music publishing websites.
>>
>>68815469
fuck off with your b-side
>>
>>68815589
>Why don't you stop letting a website dictate your tastes? You're just as bad as p4k drones.

Which website? I see it regularly praised on /mu/ too but it just doesn't do much for me (I really like Yoshimi though)
>>
>>68815637
So you misspoke?
>>
>>68815641
>it doesn't do much for me
Then it's underrated.

Are you retarded?
>>
It's good.
You're obviously new if you haven't seen much discussion of it here.
Best tracks are either Sleeping on the Roof or Feeling Yourself Disintegrate.
>>
>>68815697
Let's say it like this: In my book it does not deserve the praise it gets, therefore it's overrated.

Are you retarded?
>>
>>68815169
Nothing in this post is true
Embryonic is more in line with the band's origins than Yoshimi is
>>
>>68815734
Why doesn't it deserve it?
>>
>>68813223
shite music for manbabbies.
8/10 i love it
>>
>>68815868
The production, arrangements and the general 'sound' of The Soft Bulletin are marvellous and really interesting, I feel like the songwriting is just kind of mediocre. The melodies sound bland, predictable and also kind of "commercialized" and the songs are going nowhere. There are no really engaging or unusual melodies (except maybe for What Is The Light). It is by no means a bad album, it's good and I totally get why it's so praised, yet I think it's neither a classic nor a '10', more like a good 8-8.5 album. There are also other albums released at that time that had equally interesting arrangements with much stronger songwriting that did not nearly receive the same praise (eg Yoshimi, Grandaddy's Sophtware Slump or Beulah's When Your Heartstrings Break)
>>
>>68816380
>The melodies sound bland
How so? chart it out and show is.
>There are no really engaging or unusual melodies (except maybe for What Is The Light).
How are "engaging" and "interesting" measured?
>it's good and I totally get why it's so praised
Hence it's not overrated. it's properly rated.
>>
>>68813245
This.

I'd rank Yoshimi first.

TSB's best song is either The Spark That Bled or Race For The Prize, though they're all brilliant.

I agree with >>68815169. TSB and Yoshimi are the Flaming Lips at their most focused and inspired, though not necessarily at their most experimental. However, taking a more experimental approach to songwriting does not always result in a more interesting piece of work. FL found a near perfect balance between crafting very listenable rhythms, melodies, and harmonies while exploring unique mixes of timbres, unconventional arrangements, and extremely detailed productions with these two albums, right at their peak as songwriters.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.