[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is it that every single consistently good post-punk band

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: athens.png (128KB, 700x550px) Image search: [Google]
athens.png
128KB, 700x550px
How is it that every single consistently good post-punk band came from the same city?
>>
>>68802975
>REM
>post-punk
But yeah Athens is pretty cool
>>
>>68802975
>B-52s

no one cares, jawjuh
>>
>>68802994
>Oh-OK
>Pylon
>not post-punk
>>
>>68803032
True. I just assumed you were lumping in REM with them because they were the most well known Athens group and were consistently good, though not post-punk.
>>
>>68802975
Killing Joke are from Notting Hill, England Anon.
>>
>>68803068
Even if they weren't purely post-punk, REM still definitely came from that post-punk background. I know it's only one song, but 9-9 is pretty much straight post-punk.
>>
New Wave*

Sorry anon, but all good post-punk is exclusively English.
>>
File: gyrate.jpg (47KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
gyrate.jpg
47KB, 500x500px
>>68803103
you need some pylon in your life, my dude
>>
>>68803097
Of course, but their musical stylings as a whole cast a much wider net
>>
>>68803137
True. One aspect of their music that I wish they had gone further into was the innate Southernness of it all. They only really explored that on Fables of the Reconstruction (and arguably a few tracks of Reckoning), and I wish we had a couple more albums like that. It really makes the dusty old towns that surround me seem almost legendary.
>>
>>68803221
Agreed. Like more of a twang/country direction.

The cover to Murmur with all that kudzu is so perfectly Southern.
>>
>>68803255
Honestly I don't listen to anything after Fables all that much anymore. The allure of REM was always in the mystery they cultivated in their music, and from Lifes Rich Pageant onwards, it's all too clear sounding. I still enjoy it, but I don't love it the way I love Murmur, Reckoning, and Fables.

Semi-related: Going up to Athens in a few weeks. What do I have to see? I already know the Murmur trestle and Wuxtry Records
>>
>>68803309
There was a church REM used to play in. Not sure if it's still there.
>>
>>68803345
Yeah, I accidentally saw that one once while looking for the trestle.

>tfw everything worth seeing in Athens is REM related
>tfw dinosaur on Chomp is like in Utah or something
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.