[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have to admit, a lot of you guys really suck when it comes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

I have to admit, a lot of you guys really suck when it comes to talking about music.

Music is almost entirely subjective. Of course there's low quality stuff that just plain sounds bad i.e. Corey Feldman's new album, but beyond that almost all music could be considered good.

What I'm talking about specifically is the music theory, chord progression people who talk about those two things all the time whenever they hear music. I have studied music theory and know a good bit about it, but I think that someone with pretty much no understanding of it could make outstanding music. In fact I think it limits a lot of people.

It's bizarre to me to see so many people saying "if you knew about music theory, you'd know this is awful" or "those chord progressions are shit". Music is about how it sounds, I don't get the circle jerk over these minor things.
>>
finally, someone who knows his shit. Those people are just edgy college students dont worry about their opinions
>>
>>68745185
I don't understand if it's all memeing or what but it gets on my nerves. To me music is supposed to be about the soul of it, the feeling it gives you. It sucks all the fun out when people are prattling on about why a track is bad musically. I don't like metal but I don't think anyone who likes it objectively likes bad music.
>>
this thread was a lot of words to say nothing at all

you wanna talk music, you gotta write poetry
not gonna say any more than that
>>
>>68745148
this opinion is objectively bad
off yourself kiddo
>>
>>68745148
I agreed until you said "limits a lot of people". No it fucking doesn't. You don't know much music theory yourself do you?
>>
>>68745148
As someone who also holds subjective views on music, I get most of what you're saying, but I lurk a lot and I have never seen anybody shit on music for its structure. Not even in jazz and classical threads.

Often, I have the discussion of subjectivity with people, and it almost always ends up with the person telling me "well yeah, it's just my opinion when I say 'bad' or 'good'". Honestly, I think most people just lack the ability to articulate themselves or haven't committed enough time to thinking about the philosophical side of music. I consider myself lucky to have been surrounded by musicians and exposed to the culture, and I see those who haven't as just people in other walks of life.

The only places I've heard such rigid prescriptivism in regards to music were in classrooms, where the teachers explained the historical context behind the criticisms, yet didn't push these criticisms as universal views, or even views of their own.

Of course, theory aside, a lot of anons on this board seem deluded enough to think that certain types of music are inherently superior, but I haven't seen any who back up these claims with any theory. I assume these claims are based on personal reactions to certain sounds and lyrics. I get the frustration with this shit.

As for the theory side, I suggest checking out this video: https://youtu.be/49alQj7c5ps

Also, I'm trying not to be contrarian, but I would argue that your opinion on Corey Feldman is far from pure objectivism. I'll explain my thoughts if you want.
>>
File: Screenshot_142[1].png (936KB, 644x644px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_142[1].png
936KB, 644x644px
>I don't get the circle jerk over these minor things.
>>
>>68746012
I'm not OP, but I'm drunk as shit and have nothing better to do, so I'm down to read a defense of Corey Feldman's album.
>>
/mu/ has gotten me closer to woman than I could have ever hoped. Out of all the niche subjects I know about music has given me a common interest with girls and people and has helped me a lot. Example Modest mouse's the lonesome crowded west helped me spark a relationship with a girl at a house party while I was browsing her itunes playing music. Even though /mu/ is pretentious and I am not into field recordings it has introduced me to the rabbit hole of music going places I would of never found.
>>
>>68748691
>I am not into field recordings
this is a deal breaker for me
>>
>>68745148
It is subjective but this is 4chan. People have always pursued the "this is good and if you don't like it, you have shit taste and your opinion is worthless, pleb" line of discourse when it comes to almost any topic (as you well know, with that /tv/ image).

The only problem with this board is the lack of variety in discussion. People here consider their respective tastes eclectic but the problem is that almost everyone has the same 'eclectic taste' which limits the range of things people talk about.
>>
File: Liam-Neeson-Taken-1-phone-call.jpg (35KB, 618x412px) Image search: [Google]
Liam-Neeson-Taken-1-phone-call.jpg
35KB, 618x412px
>>68748691
>I am not into field recordings
>>
>>68748691
pleb shit
>>
>Music is subjective come on guys xDXdxxddx it just needs to sound good
And your opinion is objectively bad, it's like saying that food only needs to taste good, it's a shallow tought.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.