[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you categorise music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: Infographic.jpg (1000KB, 1754x1025px) Image search: [Google]
Infographic.jpg
1000KB, 1754x1025px
How do you categorise music?
>>
Metal > classical >>> jazz >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything else
>>
>>68731406
You heard it here first guys
>>
String music
Electronic music
Brass music
Drum music
Vocal music
Fruit & veg music
>>
>>68731406
This is not categorisation?

>>68731456
Why not
>twing twangs
>bleep bloops
>doot doots
>bam bams
>tralalalas
>???
>>
>>68731473
Because ''>???''

give me a better option and I'll change it
>>
>>68731387
I think it help to just use the same terms that everyone else uses so that whomever you're talking to knows what you mean. But this definitely lacks some universality.
I would like to categorise music by 'scene' as that gives information on time/place/sound.
>>
>>68731503
Give me an example of fruit and veg music.
>>
File: Onionoisem2.jpg (96KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Onionoisem2.jpg
96KB, 600x600px
>>68731526
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUADjV_QVNk
>>
>>68731565
>fruity tooties
>>
>>68731603
sorted, brb
>>
I don't desu, because I have a general understanding of the significance of and genres associated with a piece of music without needing to sum it up in one genre tag, and who even uses those? Genres mislead people into thinking they're mutually exclusive, but they obviously aren't, especially as some are more about a scene and others about a sound or a technique
>>
>>68731659
To make it easier to a) find something in your library and b) make finding similar music easier and quicker
>>
>>68731682
a) look it up by name...
b) read into the music? plus, the genre tag would have to be pretty damn specific to be of any help in that way
>>
>>68731622
Perfect
>>
>>68731694
a) how small is your library
b) knowing about the music doesn't help me search in discogs
>>
>>68731387
this pic is probably the most autistic thing i have ever seen on /mu/
>>
>>68731709
~13,000 tracks, could be small, could be big, I don't know what's standard. it's not very old collection but a lot of the music I was familiar with before. And that's not true, if you know a little about the music you listen to you should at least know what genre it is, or what scenes it's associated with. And if not, it's good to look it up and learn something I suppose, rather than just reading a single word
>>
>>68731694
When you have a library of considerable size it's helpful if you want to find albums from your collection, for example to recommend to someone. If someone asks me for traditional music from a country, I can, thanks to my tags simply look up what I have in my library.

>>68731729
Yeah well YOUR FACE is the most autistic thing I have ever seen on /mu/.
>>
>>68731729
You've not seen the Grimes generals then?
>>
>>68731737
that's true, a country tag would be really useful, but I still think a genre tag wouldn't, and is more essential or obvious to know rather than need to reference
>>
>>68731753
You mean you don't know all your music well enough to know which country and city each member are from?
>>
File: file.png (343KB, 1920x1050px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
343KB, 1920x1050px
>>68731753
> a genre tag wouldn't
It makes it a million times easier finding certain types of music for me.
>>
>>68731753
>and is more essential or obvious to know rather than need to reference
you can ignore this part actually, I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say. I just mean genres seem vague so I don't like thinking of them as something I can only assign one of to something in my library (could be a reflection of that I organize my music more obsessively outside of my library and use itunes). so it just doesn't seem useful to me, and plus it's easy to tell what genre something is or know a little about it just by listening to it if it's something you have interest in
>>
>>68731387
I'm a patrician so I realize these classifications have more to do with chronology than sonic qualities.
>>
>>68731776
you probably have a huge ass library. whether mine's big or small, I tend to listen to everything a decent amount too. I don't see why it should be so hard to find something some other way. not that it's worth an argument though, lol. different things work for different people
>>
File: file.png (49KB, 544x595px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
49KB, 544x595px
>>68731814
Nah, my library is pretty modest. I cleaned it up a few years ago.

>I don't see why it should be so hard to find something some other way.
I listen to lots of compilations and for me the region is much more important than the artist (many times the artist isn't even known), so it's the best way for me to search by far.
>>
>>68731838
almost twice as big as mine still, lol. and that's fair. somehow I still manage ok. I scroll through my library a ton too to decide what to put on my phone so I know it like the back of my hand in a way. country tags still seem like a good idea though, I'm so ignorant about that often... I also need to tag years but that's just laziness
>>
File: org.png (516KB, 1328x668px) Image search: [Google]
org.png
516KB, 1328x668px
sup
>>
>>68731912
damn, impressive
>>
>>68731912
Do you add multiple tags to fringe cases and crossovers? I've been considering doing something similar (at least adding subgenres).
>>
>>68731927
thanks, find it useful

>>68731942
the really tricky part is obviously compilations, but I tend to go with the record label or the majority in that case
>>
>>68731959
In case you didn't know, Foobar interprets semi-colons as separators for tags, so you can tag a single album with multiple genres easily.
>>
>>68731973
ahh, I didn't know thanks, that will make it better
>>
>>68731993
No problem. I hate that it doesn't work in comment tags. I haven't tried custom tags yet, but I really should migrate my country tags to a custom ID3 tag instead of comments.
>>
>>68732008
I just noticed half my labels are messed up and missing half the words when I DL'd and tried Musicbee, stupid thing, gonna have to sort that out too dammit.
>>
>>68731387
How are these categorisations of any use? Almost any piece of music chosen at random would fulfil at least two of them. Even if that weren't true, they don't hold any relation to how we actually consume music.

Also:
>"tremondous".
>>
File: nmh-cover.jpg (1MB, 900x900px)
nmh-cover.jpg
1MB, 900x900px
where would this fit in?

serious replies only btw
>>
>>68733425
Art
>>
>>68731912

What is this? I am newfag
>>
>>68734941
foobar
>>
>>68731387
Hampus is a terrible writer.
>it is often formulaic and derivative, as well as promotes idol worship
that sentence is structurally fucked. just say "and" instead of "as well as," it is more concise, easier to read, and makes fuckin sense. what a pseud.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.