[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT albums you thought would suck but were surprisingly good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: a7zx.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
a7zx.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
ITT albums you thought would suck but were surprisingly good

They totally redeemed themselves on this one
>>
File: image.jpg (90KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 500x500px
>>
>>68727450
Aotysf. Memewie can choke on these digits
>>
File: image.jpg (189KB, 830x830px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
189KB, 830x830px
>>
>>68727450

Idk about that buddy. But i'm still listening to it.

They're good when M. Shadows shuts up. I still like him, but he's best when he doesn't stray too far.
>>
>>68727450
"Redeemed?" That implies they were once good. I mean back in my early highschool years I had quite the hard on for A7X. You could say I was obsessed with them even. Owned hella merch and knew every lyric from sounding the seventh trumpet to their self titled album. Hell I even knew all the songs backwards and forwards from that "Diamond in the rough" album that almost no one knows. I was a hardcore fan.

Then.... I grew up. And realized they were always a shitty band with shitty music. They're still a guilty pleasure of mine ( mostly for the nostalgia) but they were/are BAD. This coming from a guy who cancelled his birthday plans to cry all day long because the rev died the morning of.
>>
Damn, i like Gates' beaner guitar on 'god damn'. It was like that solo way back on CoE's 'sidewinder'. He should quit Avenged and make flamenco music with his dad or whatever kind of latino guitar music they call it.
>>
>>68727684

I still think they are skilled af, they just need to stop using basic metal tropes that had us convinced they were guitar gods in our teens.

These guys pretty much just practice stamina exercises and don't put too much thought into writing good songs.

Going up and down those 'dark' arpeggios all day long that they most guitar gods could do in their sleep. You don't have to be the fastest picker alive to be creative.
>>
>>68727821
Also
>more spoken word shit in Shadows' deep voice with cringey dialogue in the breakdown
>>
>>68727821
>guitar gods in our teens

You're so right t b h. I thought their solos were fucking nuts when I was 13
>>
>>68727821
I can get behind this.
>>
>>68727871
>>68727821
Say what you will about A7X, but the band is talented. The Rev was a damn fine drummer, and Synyster Gates is one of the best guitarists in the genre.
>>
>>68727450
The single was awful. I'll listen to the album but if it isn't better then you're a mongoloid OP
>>
>>68727450
It was absolutly surprising Indeed, i've liked a lot the whole concept of the album and the title track is really good tho
>>
Percussion was spicy, vocals are garbage as usual, guitar work was alright. songwriting is pretty low desu. overall menial. Many far better alternatives recently to pay any attention to this imo.
>>
>>68727450
I dunno. I respect them and shit but the whole prog metal sound isn't doing it for me
>>
>>68729182
Agree about the percussion, one of the only things A7X consistently does right. Nice to hear Brooks Wackerman still doing great after leaving Bad Religion.
>>
>>68727563
Why would you ever doubt ETID? The first couple seconds of the opening track tell you that you're in for a fucking ride.
>>
>>68727945
I know you're not supposed to say this because the man's dead and all, I loved his songwriting but after listening to the new album Brooks is by far the best drummer they've ever had. To think he wasted most of his career on Bad Religion
>>
>>68731057
Seriously, Brooks is a fucking beast. The Rev was... fine. But Brooks completely outclasses him.
>>
File: Cover.jpg (1MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
1MB, 2000x2000px
>>68727684
>>68727821

I agree with both of you, and was also very much in the same position of "they're the best goddamn musicians in the worrrrrrrrld" when I was 15ish

Haven't listened to them in 5-6 years but re-listening today, they're thoroughly mediocre. Some of their newer material isn't bad (Shepherd of Fire is an okay Maiden ripoff), but overall they're very much a stepping-stone band

>>68727563
Really? they've been super consistent ever since they put out The Big Dirty
>>
>>68727450
its 3/10 if you ask me, expected much more from this.
>>
>>68727450
I've only listened to it once but all I took away from it is how hilariously bad the closing song is. During the last 5 minutes I could not believe what I was hearing.

Better than HTTK though.
>>
>>68727450

it's shit though. Not a single memorable hook or riff.
>>
>>68727684
idk what the consensus is here, but City of Evil still seems to hold up as a damn good album in terms of song writing and overall instrumental performance
>>
File: 1475688199146.png (2MB, 1650x662px) Image search: [Google]
1475688199146.png
2MB, 1650x662px
>>
File: 135654654164.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
135654654164.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
Didn't expect to like it so much after 3 such boring albums.
It's not at all like Whoracle or something, but it is pretty neat.
>>
>>68727563
Agreed, FPU was a stinker by their standards
>>
>>68727684
I still like their older stuff honestly. The heavier sound was better than City of Evil and onward IMO
>>
>>68727450
I'm 3 tracks in. What am I thinking?
>>
>>68733367
Yes, this is actually a pretty fun album, too bad Siren Charms and Battles happened.
>>
>>68733773
In that regard, Siren Charms is also an album that didn't meet my expectations, because I thought it could be something like Sounds of a Playground. But it was the other way around
>>
>>68727450

See now I have to listen to them again. I haven't picked up an album since Nightmare.

I kind of fell out of love with them, but, and I know I'm gonna get shit on for this but I've always held high praise for A Little Piece of Heaven. It just had that Tim Burton sound I love so much with Pat on the track.
>>
>>68731057
The Rev was fantastic but as a drummer, it's not very challenging material as much as it just requires stamina
>>
>>68732176
I thought most of the album was pretty cool, but when I realized what I was hearing at the end....it was like every cringe thread ever combined into song
>>
>>68727684
lol fag
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.