[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dylan's Nobel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: Dylan-770.jpg (96KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
Dylan-770.jpg
96KB, 770x433px
So, /mu/ what are your toughts on Dylan's nobel? i know this has been talked here before, but i want to know your arguments, both pro and against. My nephew has a debate in school about this and i tought i should ask people who actually care about this.
>>
>>68721803
Just want to point out before the thread takes off (if it does) that Tagore was the first song writer to win the Nobel Prize, back in 1913, so Dylan's isn't unprecedented.
>>
>>68721803
dylan hasn't accepted the award
so it means NOTHING
>>
>>68721803
I believe that he is a fuckin good composer,but for deserve a nobel?Not.
>>
>>68721803
> i tought i should ask people who actually care about this
Wrong place
>>
>>68721908
kek
>>
>>68721803
he got it for a stupid reason and he knows it
>>
>>68721894
why?
>>68722054
>stupid reason
and that stupid reason being?
>>
I don't really care either way. He's already credited as one of the greatest songwriters of all time, he doesn't need an award to confirm it.
>>
>>68722054
name one non-scientist who received a nobel prize for a reason that wasn't stupid
>>
>>68722114
martin luther king jr
>>
>>68722106
>>68722114
The artist themselves doesn't want the award
that says it all
>>
>>68721803

I'll agree that songwriting is literature, but giving im the award for literature still seems off, mainly because it dissregards the entire musical aspect of his work.

I can't say if his songwriting is actually good enough to warrant a nobel prize. I'd guess not, though.
>>
>>68722135
Dylan's almost always been hesitant when it comes to awards.
>>
>>68722314
Its not. He had about two or three great albums and thirty shit ones. The nobel was for blonde on blonde. Part of why he is so butthurt is he feels no connection to those early albums.
>>
>>68721803
I'm alright with it. I wouldn't say it's undeserved.

He's been a name tossed around for it for well over a decade. Not that surprising.
>>68722114
The Nobel has made questionable decisions, but plenty of writers have been deservingly recognized. Or do you think Hesse, Eliot, O'Neill, Yeats, Hemingway, etc. are undeserving of that kind of recognition?
>>
>>68722887
>two or three great albums
>only two or three
Oh you.
>>
>>68722135
>>68721871
Jean-Paul Sartre not only did not accept the same award, but refused it. Yet no one questions that he is a laureate
>>
>>68721894
holy shit nigger are you ching chong?????
>>
>>68721803
bump
>>
The nobel is their own committee. Its like if pitchfork or anthony fantano gave it a good review. Its only as serious as you want to take it.
>>
I kind of wish people would shut up about it.
>>
File: 33c5b21f9918efe1b02a51edf881f.jpg (375KB, 2442x2607px) Image search: [Google]
33c5b21f9918efe1b02a51edf881f.jpg
375KB, 2442x2607px
>>68721871
Or it's the other way around

Leonard Cohen has a great quote about this. He said giving Bob Dylan an award for being a great songwriter is like giving Mt. Everest a medal for being the highest mountain.
>>
>>68722106
Because he was a "safe" choice who society has already venerated as a genius.
>>
>>68722887
I think this sums it up

When it comes to opinions, I think Blonde on Blonde alone definitely has an argument for it. I don't remember another album praised so much for its songwriting.
>>
>>68725975
But it was clearly a controversial choice

Besides, if it's such a "safe" choice then that just means he should have been chosen already.
>>
>>68721842
But he also wrote poems, short stories, etc.
And I'm guessing that he was awarded based on that.
>>
>>68726417
>Prize motivation: "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition"
>>
>>68726521
Tagore? American song tradition?
>>
he deserves it

interesting that he hasn't said anything though
>>
>>68726701
Thought you were talking about Dylan, since people tend to bring up the fact that he doesn't just write lyrics
>>
I'm not a fan of it, but moreso just because I think it downplays his value as a musician.

Dylan is not a writer or a poet, he is a songwriter. I'm not making that distinction to somehow imply that being a songwriter is inherently inferior, but just that its a different artform alltogether.

Obviously he's great with words, but those words are always there to service the music, and vice versa. They're two wholly inseparable parts, and I thinks it's actually disrespectful to him to only praise one side of it. All this does is just reinforce the idea that Dylan's value lies solely in his lyrics, which is just wrong.
>>
>>68727140
Dylan himself has said he thinks of himself more as a poet than a musician.
>>
>>68727200
source?

even so, he's been known to contradict himself all the time, and I definitely recall him voicing frustrations similar to what I wrote, albeit in a roundabout way.
>>
>>68727200
Don't think Dylan wants to be labeled as anything.
>>
>>68727227
Robert Shelton interview from 1978.
http://www.expectingrain.com/dok/int/shelton1978.07.29.html
>I asked him now if he had become any more comfortable at being called "a poet" these days. "Very much so", Dylan replied. "I consider myself a poet first and a musician second. I live like a poet and I'll die like a poet."
>>
>>68721803
>Dylan's Nobel
more like nerlens noel lmao
>>
>>68722114
Barack Obama
>>
>>68727411
Eh, it's been almost 40 years since then, I wouldn't hold him to those words, but even so, his own view of his place within art doesn't change my view of it.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/timheidecker/talkin-nobel-peace-prize-bob-dylan
>>
>>68721803
Nobels don't worth shit as far as I'm concerned.
Glad that Dylan didn't show up to receive it.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.