[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't you good at listening to music if you do it so much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7

File: fact.png (31KB, 462x720px) Image search: [Google]
fact.png
31KB, 462x720px
Why aren't you good at listening to music if you do it so much?
>>
at least my face isnt sideways
>>
>>68721030
But I have perfect pitch
>>
>hey guys I can pick out every note, aren't I so cool?

as long as you can pick up intervals having perfect pitch isn't really needed
>>
>>68721045
Awesome! How does it feel having auditory processing abilities that are literally superior to everyone else's? I personally think it feels pretty good man
>>
>>68721064

It adds nothing to the experience
>>
>>68721030
How would perfect pitch improve your listening experience any more than relative pitch
>>
>>68721159
>Implying being able to pick up details adds "nothing" to the experience
Go back to listening to youtube videos with earbuds that you have to jiggle to get working
>>
>>68721185
>pick up details
You're being awfully unspecific

>>68721052
this
>>
>>68721415
how does it feel to have every music sound the same
>>
>>68721430

That's not how it works
>>
>>68721458
How would you know
>>
>>68721430
It doesn't, I have relative pitch
>>
>>68721524
>relative pitch
Relative to what? Other people with relative pitch? Literally the blind leading the blind
>>
ITT:
>>
File: 1474523881481.png (65KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1474523881481.png
65KB, 640x480px
>>68721571
What, so you don't know what relative pitch is?
>>
>>68721571

What's so different from perfect pitch other than the autistic ability to assign notes more easily?
>>
Isn't perfect pitch a shitty thing to have after all if you want to actually enjoy music? Something's off a couple cents and it fucks you up
>>
>>68721630
The difference is that you have your own accurate and consistent reference for determining notes, instead of having to rely on outside input like tuners or an off-tune piano
>>
I don't have perfect pitch, just absolute pitch.

Pitch isn't everything. Rhythm and timbre play into the mix as well.
>>
>>68721663

So congratulations, you can learn to play a piece by ear more easily than other people. Not so much from enjoying it.
>>
>>68721677
Perfect pitch is just the colloquial term for absolute pitch

>>68721696
Listening to music without knowing the notes is like looking at art without knowing the colors
>gosh I sure like what the artist did there with that lovely shade of... um, fuck it, art is gay :D
>>
>>68721709

Again, that's not how it works.
>>
>>68721725
please see my associate over at
>>68721507
>>
>>68721730
I wonder if baiting is even fun
>>
>>68722065
I mean, why do you think people with perfect pitch are so proud of it? Why does it make people without it so salty? Obviously there is something to it that can't be easily described. You'll just have to take it at face value that my interpretation and appreciation of music greatly exceeds yours simply because I am inherently better than you
>>
>>68722096
Well, I guess it must be since you're not stopping
>>
>>68722185
That makes two of us!
>>
>>68721030

Perfect pitch is useless, relative pitch is where the money is at.
>>
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/image/m8uvAc7MqadNmM6xDYyGmg

OP, are you okay?

you've been making this thread for years now
>>
>>68722351
>literally settling for less
>>
>>68722392
Lol oh shit it's been three years :D
that's epic, I have a legacy now :DD
>>
>>68722420
a legacy in 4chan
what a life
>>
>>68721661
Yeah, pretty much. Well, it's only when I'm reading the score along with it.
Shit like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVa3nR-2bVc

>>68721709
>gosh I sure like what the artist did there with that lovely shade of, um, Bb? Or A# or Cbb or whatever, I mean they're all the same
That sounds a lot more like looking at art without knowing the colors to me.

>>68722096
I have perfect pitch. Why are you so obsessed with it? Like the one autistic guy in my class who just can't stop talking about his own autism when no one else brought it up, who at one point said "aspergers?" when we were talking about arrhythmia
>>
File: IMG_1075.png (1MB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1075.png
1MB, 1200x1500px
i know this is b8 but im going to reply anyways.

not having perfect pitch is not like seeing art without color; its more like seeing art with randomly altered hues.

to relate this to a color wheel, to a perfect pitch (PP) person the wheel is stable and they can identify colors accurately, some better than others (PP is not something you have or dont have; its a spectrum (like light (or autism))) for a person with relative pitch (RP) you can see and distinguish the colors, but sometimes the wheel is spun a bit and it isnt accurate to the standard pitches. the art is still able to be appreciated; the same differences in value, color etc are still there but the hue is shifted, possibly giving different moods. going back to the spectrum this isnt exactly set in stone either, some peoples wheels spin more than others and some dont move at all. (me personally, i can give certain pitches if i need to and can remember pitches accurately but have trouble distinguishing them when im hearing them so im kinda inbetween rip)

anyways if you read this autistic wall of text thanks and i hope you understand where im coming from

heres a cute anime girl
>>
>>68722409
>implying
>>
TAAAAKE
OOONE
DAY
AT
A
TIME
>>
>>68723824

10/10 had a good time
>>
>>68721030
lmao i prolly write better melodies than all you perfect pitch fags
>>
File: 1477425704225.jpg (70KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1477425704225.jpg
70KB, 640x640px
Wait I thought perfect pitch was being able to discern the exact note of what you're hearing, as in the name? Because I can remember and hear exact pitches with no effort, and can create new music in my head with exact pitches, but I can't tell you the exact note unless I replay them back on the piano. Is that still perfect pitch?

>>68723682
Huh, I had no idea about this, I figured everyone could hear exact notes. Probably explains why a lot of people will say certain music "sounds the same" when it clearly doesn't.
>>
>>68723682

TL;DR:

You have Perfect Pitch abilities
You use it to listen to the animes
>>
>>68723824
this was the first thing i thought of
one of my absolute favorite albums
>>
I have crude relative pitch, and it just means I can reproduce a melody by ear with my guitar.
It doesn't affect my enjoyment of music at all, and i guess it's the same thing for people with perfect pitch
>>
File: IMG_1001.jpg (71KB, 630x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1001.jpg
71KB, 630x480px
>>68724055
hah

(actually tho there are some really nice osts like space runaway ideons https://youtu.be/K9p219zLknY)
>>
Relative pitch is all you need.

Like, literally no-one will be impressed with "oh I love the use of that e-flat in the intro"
>>
>>68723964
fite me irl m8
>>
>>68723824
Wow, I forgot this album even existed.
Thanks anon, I just downloaded it and now I will try to remember how my life was when I was into it.
>>
I have a cousin who has perfect pitch and his friend does too. They're both into Top 40. Although, my cousin's nearly a child prodigy on piano because his parents are upper-middle class and have had him taking lessons since he was under 10 years old, and he's still at it. I tried to have a convo with him and asked him for recs on composers he loves and all he said was that he doesn't really know about anything besides the pieces his teacher gives him, but he said he likes Chopin.

He and his friend were going on about how the electronic keyboard he often plays has been about a half-step sharp recently. Other than that, he can tell when you're out of tune but he's not anal about it. I also assume that perfect pitch helped him excel at piano, but not his ability to improvise easily over pop chord progressions. He can't play jazz.

I've also read somewhere that some people with "perfect pitch" are actually off by a wide margin. Of course, this can be fixed with training, which I assume would be quick because they can keep track of how the frequencies of the establisheditches relate to the frequencies of the pitches they can identify, but it must be a pain. Idk. Maybe it's just as much of a struggle as learning to develop relative pitch.
>>
>>68724407
Chopin is literally the closest thing to pop classical has to offer.
And I say this as someone who only like Chopin and medieval or minimalist music when it comes to classical, because it doesn't stray too far from the rock or electronic-based music I usually listen to.
No offense but despite his abilities, your cousin is a bit of a pleb.
>>
>>68721045
Prove it.
>>
>>68721696
Have you ever learned to play song? That is the best way to enjoy that song.
>>
>>68724586
Well, no shit

>>68724407
>I've also read somewhere that some people with "perfect pitch" are actually off by a wide margin.
Can confirm. Tuning my cello to the A in my head usually results in it being flat.

>and all he said was that he doesn't really know about anything besides the pieces his teacher gives him, but he said he likes Chopin.
Yeah, that was pretty much how I was before I awakened to classical music. Although the difference is that before then, I wasn't much into music at all (my favorite music would be a couple of video game soundtracks).
>>
File: 1458586576513.gif (1MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1458586576513.gif
1MB, 360x240px
>have perfect pitch
>cant assign names to anything im hearing
maybe i shouldve gotten a formal music education
>>
>>68724855

note names are a social construct
>>
>>68724855
learn solmisation, it's fairly easy, and related to relative pitch.
>>
http://www.multiplayerpiano.com/r9k

join us
>>
>>68724287
No problem anon. One of my all time favorites.
>>
perfect relative pitch >>> perfect absolute pitch
>>
>>68724145
same
>>
>>68725027
I had a blast listening to it.
The only downside is that I want to take DXM or shrooms now, like when I was in high school.
>>
I am lucky enough not to be afflicted with that horrible curse. Perfect pitch means you can't enjoy anything beatmixed. Relative pitch is all that matters.
>>
>>68726619
Haha, keep telling yourself that, normie ears
>>
>>68724586
Haydn and Liszt were the most popular composers of their respective centuries though.
>>
Relative pitch is a more advanced and evolved form of hearing. Even shitty animals have perfect pitch but no ability to hear relative pitches.
>>
>>68721571
Relative to the tonal center, you autist
>>
>>68721064
It feels good 99% of the time. I play trumpet, and I learned notation via trumpet. But when I learned to read and analyze music in concert pitch (piano and beyond) I still would use trumpet fingerings with the sounds of the pitches but go by concert pitch. So if I heard a concert C I would finger a trumpet D with my fingers because of the transposition. Because my ears are so tuned to the trumpet fingerings and the sound of pitches in concert pitch, they handed me a C trumpet and I was completely fucked.
>>
>>68727622
yeah i bet you finger D a lot lmao
>>
>>68727691
1 0 0
>>
>>68721030
Perfect pitch is the ability to hear a note and know what note it is. That doesn't mean if I hear a 2-5-1 progression I won't know it's 2-5-1 because I couldn't tell wether it started on G or A. Is this a bait thread?
>>
I have good relative pitch, good enough desu
>>
>>68727622
how about the fact that 440 is synthetic and 432 is the earth's natural perfect C
>>
>doesn't have perfect pitch
>relies on tablature
>plays by muscle memory
>can't even tune a guitar
I just wanna play my favorite songs
>>
>>68730331
at least learn to tune it. everything else doesn't matter much.

take it from a guy with abs. pitch.
>>
>>68730220
But it's not C, it's A for Ātman
>>
>>68730345
thanks man, I'm gonna have to unlearn the shit that i've learned.
>>
>>68721030
perfect pitch makes shit sound boring in non-pop songs
>>
>>68730390
do you have perfect pitch? Can you name known pop songs that sound awfully shit with this ability?
>>
>Tfw all your hearing tests come back perfect
>Tfw you have shit discernment abilities and think you can't hear what people are saying more often
>Tfw trying to discern all the notes in music is helping this stop
>>
>>68730364
yep im a fgt
>>
>>68730461
should I do this? I have pretty good pitch, but I always mishear what people say.
>>
>>68721052
Exactly my thoughts, I can easily hear all intervals. I don't see why you'd need perfect pitch at all to understand a song
>>
>>68730583
Maybe listen to singers and try to identify their notes while deciphering their lyrics, I'm not good enough to do it yet.
>>
>>68721030
>needing perfect pitch to distinguish intervals
perfect pitch is a party trick
>>
>>68730662
but lyrics are the least interesting part about music
>>
I study music with a girl with perfect pitch. I don't have fantastic relative pitch, but I've always found it very easy to distinguish intervals. I can identify fairly complex chords while she has to pick out every individual note with her perfect pitch and add up the intervals to figure out what chords they are. I'm telling ya, perfect pitch might help with playing music, but I'd much rather have relative pitch for listening. I don't even know whether it's better than non-relative pitch, though; you're hearing the same stuff, just because you don't understand what's happening aurally doesn't mean it invokes a
>>
>>68731064
different response.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.