[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he /ourguy/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: Roger_Daltrey_-_May_2016.jpg (121KB, 800x935px) Image search: [Google]
Roger_Daltrey_-_May_2016.jpg
121KB, 800x935px
http://pitchfork.com/news/69362-the-whos-roger-daltrey-rock-is-dead-rap-is-all-that-matters/?mbid=social_facebook
>>
>>68716989
Roger looks really good for 70. Dude's buff.
>>
>“The sadness for me is that rock has reached a dead end... the only people saying things that matter are the rappers and most pop is meaningless and forgettable.” Daltrey added, “You watch these people and you can’t remember a bloody thing.”

But pop was never good. You think back in The Who's prime that the Carpenters had any more substance than pop of today?
>>
>>68717366
No, but pop music had some good musicians back in the 60s and 70s. Now, there is probably only a handful
>>
File: b4f.jpg (25KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
b4f.jpg
25KB, 600x451px
>rock is dead
Go to post-rock such as GSYBE

>hip hop is dead
Go to post-hip hop genres like Vaporwave or noise pop

>Classical music is dead
Go back to older classical music

/thread
>>
>>68717871
And no, Grimes is not among them.
>>
>>68717871
>Now, there is probably only a handful
Wrong
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
"In my original review, I gave Who's Next an A-, but years later, in my 'Consumer Guide to Albums of the '70s', I downgraded it slightly. This was after seeing how the band's later career unfolded and for a while, I almost came to despise The Who. It wasn't so obvious in 1971, but all the signs were there on that album such as the synthesizer noodling, long-winded song structures, and Roger Daltrey's histrionic vocals. I still maintain that The Who Sell Out was their one truly great album."
>>
>>68717366
What nonsense is he spouting? Rap is pop music
>>
>>68717366
well the carpenters did have 10/10 songs
the carpenters are fucking great
>>
>>68718098
Fucking hell he is such a hack
>>
>>68717366
Carpenters are comfy
>>
>>68718072
I don't like Grimes
>>68718091
Nice examples you got there
>>
>>68718503
>Nice examples you got there
What do you mean? There are plenty of great musicians in pop groups.
>>
>>68718237
He didn't like it that the Who stopped being just rawk and turned into overstuffed Wagnerian crap.
>>
>>68717366
Pop stars in the modern sense have only existed since the 80s. There wasn't really such a thing yet in the Carpenters' time.
>>
>>68718980
Wrong
>>
Rodger the rapper?
The Who go hip-hop?
No I'm not seeing or hearing it.
>>
File: Pete_Townshend_(2012).jpg (9KB, 220x290px) Image search: [Google]
Pete_Townshend_(2012).jpg
9KB, 220x290px
"Roger likes to say that we'll still be rocking when we're in wheelchairs, but that sure as fuck ain't me. I mean, I'm never gonna quit making music, and I may still be doing it in a wheelchair, possibly with The Who. But people need to understand that the things we write and sing about are inevitably going to change."
>>
>>68720464
THE MUUUUUSIIIIC MUST CHAAAAANGEE.....
>>
>>68716989
Our guy is Scatman John

I'm the Scatman
Ski-bi dibby dib yo da dub dub
Yo da dub dub
Yo da dub dub
(I'm the Scatman)
Yo da dub dub
Yo da dub dub
Ba-da-ba-da-ba-be bop bop bodda bope
Bop ba bodda bope
Be bop ba bodda bope
Bop ba bodda
Ba-da-ba-da-ba-be bop ba bodda bope
Bop ba bodda bope
Be bop ba bodda bope
Bop ba bodda bope
Yo da dub dub
Yo da dub dub
Yo da dub dub
Yo da dub dub
Everybody stutters one way or the other
So check out my message to you
As a matter of fact, I don't let nothin' hold you back
If the Scatman can do it, so can you
>>
>>68717335
He is a health nut and does take good care of himself.
>>
>>68716989
we're never going to have a guy. theres nothing this board can agree on.
>>
>>68718054
how is noise pop post-hip hop? noise pop is stuff like jesus and mary chain.
>>
This is what was common knowledge 20 years ago. Now days rap is dead also. He's just proving how old and behind the times he is by saying that just now.
>>
>>68718099
i mean if rap is pop then rock is too
>>
>>68718146
This
>>
File: christgau4.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
christgau4.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
The Singles 1969-1973 [A&M, 1973]

The combination of Karen Carpenter's ductile, dispassionate contralto and Richard Carpenter's meticulous studio technique is admittedly more musical than the clatter of voices and silverware in a cafeteria, but it's just as impervious to criticism. That is, the duo's success is essentially statistical: I'll tell you that I very much like "We've Only Just Begun" and detest "Sing," but those aren't so much aesthetic judgments as points on a graph. C+
>>
>>68718876
mmmmuh punk rawk
>>
Stopped reading after that opening quote.
Fucking hell, why does music have to "say important things" to be good? And it's not like the fucking Who ever said anything of real importance, much as I love them.
>>
>>68722898
>And it's not like the fucking Who ever said anything of real importance

Won't Get Fooled Again is pretty sage.
>>
>>68722948
Yeah, you're right. Forgot about that. That shit was poignant.
That's it though. T-t-t-talking b-bout my generation didn't blow anyone's mind.
I just find it so dull when I'm supposed to enjoy music because of its messages that I just so happen to agree with, or because it was some historic landmark. It devalues the MUSIC part of music.
>>
>>68723000
>That's it though. T-t-t-talking b-bout my generation didn't blow anyone's mind

Pete was like 20 when he wrote that. He was just a dumb kid back then.
>>
>>68722948
That song also explains in a nutshell why the alternative/punk movement that guys like Christgau fapped over was doomed to fail, even though it was written about the failure of the counterculture.
>>
>>68722724
>>68718098
Quick reminder that Christgau does not know music theory or composition, has never written a song, does not play an instrument, and listens to almost nothing except pop music. All he understands are his own emotional reactions to the cliches he vaguely recognizes.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.